Construction worker killed as crane fitting crushes him at new build housing estate

webfact

Construction worker killed as crane fitting crushes him at new build housing estate

9pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Police and rescue workers in Krathum Baen south west of Bangkok were called to a housing estate under construction after a worker was killed. 

At the site in Suan Luang sub-district they found 32 year old Narongrit Sanaoyai from Ubon with a broken neck and half his skull sliced off. 

Thai Rath called it a horrific death. 

Fellow workers said that they were rectifying a leaning pillar using a two meter high derrick.

A small but heavy attachment weighing 1.4 tons fell and crushed the unfortunate worker as he was holding the pillar in place. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-09

34 minutes ago, wozza said:

I recently had one of these pile drivers at my place, they hammer 6 mtr pylons under ground level , i noticed that all the 3 man crew had either fingers or thumbs missing.

No work safe arrangements at my place.

Same same but different at my place last year, 26 x 10 mtr pylons, I had to leave the site as it was so disturbing to watch the lack of expertise, this continued throughout the whole build. 5 mtr ladders made of sticks, young children wandering aimlessly on upper levels whilst parents working etc..........I tried to put my 2 bobs worth in about safety, but was looked at like I was an idiot.  

I am not even sure if Thailand has a 'Work Safe' department ???????????  

59 minutes ago, webfact said:

and half his skull sliced off

Thai Rath called it a horrific death.

Thai Rath - Always to be relied upon for clarity, candour . . . and excellent mealtime reading, too.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

A small but heavy attachment weighing 1.4 tons fell and crushed the unfortunate worker as he was holding the pillar in place. 

I was taught to never stand under a heavy load !!!

But then again we're over here & it's usually a free-for-all building site!

Line of Fire.....  

So many people, Westerners included, but so many Thai's can be seen walking around daily placing themselves without an 'out' or protection from 'energy'... its often difficult to see the hazard unless alert to the risks and trained and then they can be seen everywhere and anywhere - its frightening. 

We see 'safety First' and ISO 9001 signs everywhere - what a farce... one glance at work site here and so many safety regulations are so openly abused, common sense is simply ignored. 

When my Wife turned her car on its side, I was was nearby and came to help... I washed as I saw the recovery vehicle winch in over the car with people (random onlookers) stood next to it... I had to stop them in their tracks and explain to some onlookers that when the car rolls back they may get crushed and that if the Winch Cable snapped they'd be injured... of course, they looked at me like I was an idiot...  but I was quite insistent. 

Tragedies such as this poor man getting crushed will continue until Companies are fined greater amounts... the only thing which works is hurting them financially as they have no genuine care or compassion for their workers... 

A whole cultural shift also needs to take place with regards to safety in Thailand, not just at work sites, but on the streets, everywhere, especially the roads... a cultural shift in regards to attitudes towards safety would see many many of these tragedies and issues reduced. 

Archived