Pro-election rallies to intensify against proposed delay to election

webfact

Pro-election rallies to intensify against proposed delay to election

By THE NATION

3dc4efd51a5bdde604e708d64b6a5e68.jpeg

Activists hold a rally against the election delay at the Ratchaprasong Intersection in Bangkok on Tuesday.

PRESSURE is mounting on the government to clarify the timing of the general election, as protests spread yesterday beyond Bangkok, in the North and Northeast.

Political activists Nuttaa Mahuttana and Sirawith Seritiwat led a demonstration at urban Nakhon Ratchasima’s most prominent landmark, the Thao Suranari Monument, to demand the election be held next month as previously mooted by the ruling junta.

A similar protest took place in Chiang Mai, led by pro-democracy activists Parit Chiwarak and Prasit Krutarot. They drew a crowd of at least 50 people dismayed that the election tentatively scheduled for February 24 could be delayed into March.

Anger is rising, with the government yet to offer a clear explanation, other than concern that the time needed to formalise the poll outcome could interfere with preparations for the coronation of His Majesty the King, an event now set for early May. 

More demonstrations are planned for Sunday, at the Ratchaprasong intersection in Bangkok and at city halls in all 76 provinces.

Sirawith said the hundreds of people participating in the Korat protest on Tuesday was an indication that many Thais mistrust the generals and want to see the election take place next month. 

The coup-installed government had offered no sound reason to further postpone the poll after at least five prior delays, Sirawith said, adding that citizens could no longer tolerate the current political situation.

A delayed election could also interfere with national university-entrance exams, stirring anger among high-school students who vented their annoyance on social media.

Because February 24 appeared to be the chosen election date, aptitude testing for high-school seniors that was slated for the same period had to be moved forward, to February 16-19. The likelihood of another date change has riled the students again after all the earlier bother. Some demanded that the testing be rescheduled for February 24 if the election wasn’t taking place that day.

Fresh student complaints were still appearing online yesterday – most bearing a hashtag in Thai that can be translated as “#delaymyass”.

Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said yesterday that a clearer picture of the poll timing would emerge today.

He said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha would today be meeting with the committee in charge of coronation preparations to discuss scheduling requirements.

Asked about the fuming high-school students, Wissanu said the agencies involved would consider testing them on February 24 if the election must be postponed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30361965

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-10

27 minutes ago, a977 said:

This is exactly the excuse Pinocchio needs to delay the election permanently. PLEASE Thais don't give him an excuse let him hang himself  

Right! Exactly. A pathetic 'about 50 protesters' or similar numbers - even in the hundreds or several thousands - is just what the junta are dreaming of to ban the election for the foreseeable future.

I have said countless times, to the point of boredom: the ONLY way to get back their freedom is for MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of Thais to show defiance and solidarity with each other and display through their actions that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. With MILLIONS AND MILLIONS involved - the pathetic junta can do NOTHING.

But you watch: the Thais will not muster anything like those effective numbers. So -  Carry on (junta-run) Thailand ....

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Right! Exactly. A pathetic 'about 50 protesters' or similar numbers - even in the hundreds or several thousands - is just what the junta are dreaming of to ban the election for the foreseeable future.

I have said countless times, to the point of boredom: the ONLY way to get back their freedom is for MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of Thais to show defiance and solidarity with each other and display through their actions that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. With MILLIONS AND MILLIONS involved - the pathetic junta can do NOTHING.

But you watch: the Thais will not muster anything like those effective numbers. So -  Carry on (junta-run) Thailand ....

Ok, tell me why would millions and millions come out to protest to change one group of thieves with an other group of thieves. If there was a far better alternative (not just changing who steals) then I am sure people would come out.

But would you come out to risk problems lose days of work just to get an other group of thieves in power ? I would not.. I would risk it and invest time if the alternative was a lot better not marginally better because they are voted in.

Most Thais i know are disillusioned with politics because they get lied to from all sides and know they are in it for themselves. No huge changes with an other government minor ones at best and just an other group of thieves in power.

Not saying that a kleptocracy (not democracy) is not better as a junta government, it is but marginally. Once the Thais have a real viable good alternative then they will come out not before that. Just look at the history of Thai governments, good ones were few and far between while corrupt stealing self serving ones were common. Why risk it to enrich someone else with only a few marginal benefits for yourself.  

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ok, tell me why would millions and millions come out to protest to change one group of thieves with an other group of thieves. If there was a far better alternative (not just changing who steals) then I am sure people would come out.

But would you come out to risk problems lose days of work just to get an other group of thieves in power ? I would not.. I would risk it and invest time if the alternative was a lot better not marginally better because they are voted in.

Most Thais i know are disillusioned with politics because they get lied to from all sides and know they are in it for themselves. No huge changes with an other government minor ones at best and just an other group of thieves in power.

Not saying that a kleptocracy (not democracy) is not better as a junta government, it is but marginally. Once the Thais have a real viable good alternative then they will come out not before that. Just look at the history of Thai governments, good ones were few and far between while corrupt stealing self serving ones were common. Why risk it to enrich someone else with only a few marginal benefits for yourself.  

They HAVE a real choice of something different now, Rob - or a good chance of one - with Thanathorn's Future Forward Party. A whole new vision for Thailand. But will the Thais get behind Thanathorn's party in mass (millions-and-millions-strong) numbers?

I think we all know the answer to that one!

The protests in Chiang Mai yesterday created one of those "only in Thailand" moments. Army at Tapae Gate apparently collecting donations for those affected by storm in the south. Centre of Tapae Gate more army on stage in full uniform singing old style Thai songs. Then over to the right about 50-70 election protesters carrying placards, mostly trying to get attention of passing motorists.

It was one of those very bizarre moments! Bear in mind you just look over the heads of the protesters to see 3-4 army guys on a stage fully turned out , crooning Thai songs!

18 minutes ago, Eligius said:

They HAVE a real choice of something different now, Rob - or a good chance of one - with Thanathorn's Future Forward Party. A whole new vision for Thailand. But will the Thais get behind Thanathorn's party in mass (millions-and-millions-strong) numbers?

Yes i think Thanathorn is a good alternative. You know that but the Thais and quite a few others are not so sure. He first really needs to prove himself. For instance would he blow up a government that includes his party if he sees too much graft or will he keep his head down and play the game. 

My point is not that I want to see the junta stay, I want them out as even the Thai kleptocracy is a bit better (only a bit) than the junta however i doubt the Thais would risk too much for such a minor change. The numbers don't lie they are fed up with politics and wont risk anything anymore.

Just now, Eligius said:

Please don't expect too much from Thanathorn. There have already been several resignations from his party, citing a lack of transparency in selection of candidates for the election. I like his deputy, Piyabut, but I'm not sure whether there are any real democratic bones in Thanathorn. After all, he owns the party, lock, stock and barrel.

Time will tell.

4 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

The natives are getting restless. This could get messy.

BTW the Nation must be short of pictures of protesters, this is the same one they used yesterday.

If an article does not contain a picture when published it is common practice  to use file images until the original story picture is available.

Hope that explains the duplicate picture to your satisfaction :smile:.

45 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes i think Thanathorn is a good alternative. You know that but the Thais and quite a few others are not so sure. He first really needs to prove himself. For instance would he blow up a government that includes his party if he sees too much graft or will he keep his head down and play the game. 

My point is not that I want to see the junta stay, I want them out as even the Thai kleptocracy is a bit better (only a bit) than the junta however i doubt the Thais would risk too much for such a minor change. The numbers don't lie they are fed up with politics and wont risk anything anymore.

Ah, so that's where we're at, thought I'd check in. Well, we've made some progress! You now recognize that the Junta is NOT the same as the ELECTED but kleptocratic alternatives, but "a bit" less good. Small steps.

Your point, as ever, is muddled and wrong. You DID want the Junta to stay, you DID support their ouster of the democratically elected government, and you DID equate the two as equally bad without offering any sort of credible alternative other than that somehow, the Thai people should magically sort this out and elect "good" people. 

You know why Thanathorn, or anyone else, will never deliver on their promise? Because of people who will always resort to getting the Army to take over whenever they perceive that they're not getting what they want rather than being mature citizens and organizing alternatives so you can win at the ballot box while accepting that other people did exercise their right to vote in the person you don't like and deserve for that person to govern, for good or bad. This is the fundamental point you've missed from the start. The Junta, and all other Juntas, are illegitimate and always will be, regardless of whether they do good or bad (and their record so far is 100%, you know on which side). As I have tried to explain to you over and over again, there are no White Knights in Thailand coming to the rescue. 

Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the rest.” - Winston Churchill

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

The P's may have to bring out their big guns"

So long as that's all they do with them, although I reckon I'd be safe to be within a couple of metres if either of these miss-fits was looking down the barrel.

25 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Ah, so that's where we're at, thought I'd check in. Well, we've made some progress! You now recognize that the Junta is NOT the same as the ELECTED but kleptocratic alternatives, but "a bit" less good. Small steps.

Your point, as ever, is muddled and wrong. You DID want the Junta to stay, you DID support their ouster of the democratically elected government, and you DID equate the two as equally bad without offering any sort of credible alternative other than that somehow, the Thai people should magically sort this out and elect "good" people. 

You know why Thanathorn, or anyone else, will never deliver on their promise? Because of people who will always resort to getting the Army to take over whenever they perceive that they're not getting what they want rather than being mature citizens and organizing alternatives so you can win at the ballot box while accepting that other people did exercise their right to vote in the person you don't like and deserve for that person to govern, for good or bad. This is the fundamental point you've missed from the start. The Junta, and all other Juntas, are illegitimate and always will be, regardless of whether they do good or bad (and their record so far is 100%, you know on which side). As I have tried to explain to you over and over again, there are no White Knights in Thailand coming to the rescue. 

Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the rest.” - Winston Churchill

The difference between you and me is that I am not rigid in my opinion and can change. I changed, you however don't seem to want to accept that Thailand is a kleptocracy not a democracy.

The Thai people indeed should sort this out by electing good people only then can the country move on. If they select non corrupt people who make laws combating corruption the army wont step in as there is no money to be made in goverment and bad people don't want to be in goverment for the same reason. As long as its so easy to be corrupt here there is too much money at stake for the losers to accept it. This a fact and only the Thais can change this.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

The difference between you and me is that I am not rigid in my opinion and can change. I changed, you however don't seem to want to accept that Thailand is a kleptocracy not a democracy.

The Thai people indeed should sort this out by electing good people only then can the country move on. If they select non corrupt people who make laws combating corruption the army wont step in as there is no money to be made in goverment and bad people don't want to be in goverment for the same reason. As long as its so easy to be corrupt here there is too much money at stake for the losers to accept it. This a fact and only the Thais can change this.

Rob, in my opinion you have misuse the word kleptocracy. Thailand is corrupted but not a kleptocracy. Kleptocracy arises when the people in power systematically steal from public funds on a vast scale. The key words are systematically, public funds and vast scale. A government would need to be extremely powerful over a period of time to keep stealing vast amount of public money. No elected government in Thailand even last a full term except one to qualify as 'systematic stealing'. Examples like Russia's oligarchs under Putin or Marcos and Suharto and even Najib's 1 MDB corruption which stole vast sums of public money qualify them as kleptocracy but not Thailand. 

45 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Also attributed to Churchill, but some say wasn't him, was the best arguement against democracy is a 5 minute chat with one of the average voters.

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

don't seem to want to accept that Thailand is a kleptocracy not a democracy.

Sorry, Robblok (my favourite sand grown 'un), but Thailand IS, as in now, today, this very minute, neither of those political entities. It is clearly a military 'junta' power - one of those things that Thailand has become quite used to - and whether or not we and the whole world might suspect certain of its members guilty of corruption, it is corruption probably borne of different sources than that of a kleptocracy. Here and now, with the military connection, such like corruption as procurement incentives and nepotistic promotions take the headlines, whereas the good old-fashioned Thai-style kleptocracy (too numerous to single-out) would be looking at other ways of fleecing the public.

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

"there are no White Knights in Thailand coming to the rescue."

True - even when they wear red or black; or khaki and brown.

13 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Sorry, Robblok (my favourite sand grown 'un), but Thailand IS, as in now, today, this very minute, neither of those political entities. It is clearly a military 'junta' power - one of those things that Thailand has become quite used to - and whether or not we and the whole world might suspect certain of its members guilty of corruption, it is corruption probably borne of different sources than that of a kleptocracy. Here and now, with the military connection, such like corruption as procurement incentives and nepotistic promotions take the headlines, whereas the good old-fashioned Thai-style kleptocracy (too numerous to single-out) would be looking at other ways of fleecing the public.

The common denominator being 'fleecing the public". Only in a kleptocracy the lies are a little bit more creative.

40 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Rob, in my opinion you have misuse the word kleptocracy. Thailand is corrupted but not a kleptocracy. Kleptocracy arises when the people in power systematically steal from public funds on a vast scale. The key words are systematically, public funds and vast scale. A government would need to be extremely powerful over a period of time to keep stealing vast amount of public money. No elected government in Thailand even last a full term except one to qualify as 'systematic stealing'. Examples like Russia's oligarchs under Putin or Marcos and Suharto and even Najib's 1 MDB corruption which stole vast sums of public money qualify them as kleptocracy but not Thailand. 

Three terms in office, three different wholly owned family political parties, billions stolen, including passing laws without due process to facilitate theft from the people and taking advantage of monopolies.

Seems like Rob has used the absolute correct word. 

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Three terms in office, three different wholly owned family political parties, billions stolen, including passing laws without due process to facilitate theft from the people and taking advantage of monopolies.

Seems like Rob has used the absolute correct word. 

Failed the systematic definition by virtue that there were no 3 terms but 1 and were not continuous but interrupted by coups and a junta friendly government. Also failed in the definition due to your failure to produce evidence of the thieves of billions public money with judiciary convictions. But your opinion is appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Rob, in my opinion you have misuse the word kleptocracy. Thailand is corrupted but not a kleptocracy. Kleptocracy arises when the people in power systematically steal from public funds on a vast scale. The key words are systematically, public funds and vast scale. A government would need to be extremely powerful over a period of time to keep stealing vast amount of public money. No elected government in Thailand even last a full term except one to qualify as 'systematic stealing'. Examples like Russia's oligarchs under Putin or Marcos and Suharto and even Najib's 1 MDB corruption which stole vast sums of public money qualify them as kleptocracy but not Thailand

I disagree with your opinion and i think you really should get some new glasses if you think that corruption in Thailand from the goverment is not systematically. They all steal vasts amounts of money, YL her rice scam with the fake G2G deals is a great example of it. I would corruption in Thailand is systematically and seldom punished. You can have an other opinion but i believe your living in a different Thailand then I do.

All big projects (think infrastructure plans) have vasts amounts of corruption in them, army purchases will (and yes its the army that benefits of those not the politicians). I think you don't want to accept this because it would mean accepting that there have not been any clean governments and many of your arguments then fail. So i get why you don't want to accept reality.

49 minutes ago, Ossy said:

Right now its neither a democracy kleptocracy its ruled by a junta. So its worse still.

41 minutes ago, robblok said:

So i get why you don't want to accept reality.

I must need new specs. I can't find where Eric said that, but the issue is more than worthy of debating points that can be seen ????

49 minutes ago, robblok said:

So i get why you don't want to accept reality.

Somehow you always like to get into the faces of posters who have different opinion than yours. You have steered so far off course to my post which meant to be a meaningful debate on semantic. It may help you to goggle examples of kleptocracy countries and see if Thailand is quoted. But as a corrupt country, Thailand stand out tall and proud. 

Feel sorry for the Thai people. They rise up and protest about the election - he responds by saying the protests are responsible for delaying the election and he stays in power. The do nothing and he stays in power delaying forever and saying he is popular in his Friday night spectaculars or people would be on the streets,

Archived