Having a house built

insiket

In spite of all the naysayers who say that all thais are sh*t...... I found that in many personal experiences the electricians were very good !  They sometimes did not really know farang style wiring systems....but had no problem doing something if asked .  (years ago grounding was almost never done.  now it is pretty well known by most electricians.   Just keep an eye on everything and have your translator nearby   ????

Also...I am sure you know the number of circuits you desire,  Choose your breaker box accordingly...and make sure the circuits are how you want them .

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:
  4 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Forgot to mention... you stated that you will do the design.  Thais don't use design (that I have seen) so make sure they understand yours.  Otherwise, they are famous (infamous?) for putting only one outlet per room, sharing neutrals, and over-sizing breakers/under-sizing cable, and, if your contract has the builder supplying materials, will go with cheap crap.  Beware.

Quite a BIG generaliztion and not my experience at all.    Seems like you did not check and confirm the electrical layout.   So maybe it was you that was to blame if only one outlet and crap materials ?

And anyone here with experience knows that as the owner best to buy yourself.....and oversee the work ????

You shouldn't need to do the chasing of the wiring on the walls - the workmen should do that for you. Much better appearance than exposed wires.
I was quite surprised by the quality of a local builder in what I would call the sticks- it depends on whether you can find a good one. He put in all the points specified in the drawing. PM me if you want more photos.
IMG20180308103709.thumb.jpg.b4d458d54dd2818ad955a5de46ee6a6a.jpg
Hi Lacessit,
No.I won,t be chasing any walls and will have the wires in conduits which won,t be exposed either.
Hopefully I,ll have a good experience with local sparks

Sent from my SM-J610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, rumak said:

Quite a BIG generaliztion and not my experience at all.    Seems like you did not check and confirm the electrical layout.   So maybe it was you that was to blame if only one outlet and crap materials ?

And anyone here with experience knows that as the owner best to buy yourself.....and oversee the work ????

You apparently missed my previous posts where I stated that I have done my own wiring/plumbing and I have always selected/paid the materials in every house I have built.  My generalization refers to "up-country" sparks who usually have no formal training.  I have also stated that major builders will usually have experienced and knowledgeable crews versus the local bricklayer who "can do".

On 1/10/2019 at 2:40 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Forgot to mention... you stated that you will do the design.  Thais don't use design (that I have seen) so make sure they understand yours.  Otherwise, they are famous (infamous?) for putting only one outlet per room, sharing neutrals, and over-sizing breakers/under-sizing cable, and, if your contract has the builder supplying materials, will go with cheap crap.  Beware.

No, i don't read all your posts.  But this one says quite plainly that "Thais don't use design".   I don't see any clarification of which thais or where they live.   So, i stand by my point that it is a generalization that I have not found to be true.   I have had 6 houses built in and around CM in the last 10 years.  ALL had a proper electric schematic which was quite professional.  And ,  all the houses were under a million baht....

I did advocate overseeing the work to be sure the plans and materials were being followed .

You make it seem like they are ALL bozos...... not what i found.  Maybe i just choose better than you

2 hours ago, rumak said:
  On 1/10/2019 at 2:40 PM, bankruatsteve said:

No, i don't read all your posts.  But this one says quite plainly that "Thais don't use design".   I don't see any clarification of which thais or where they live.   So, i stand by my point that it is a generalization that I have not found to be true.   I have had 6 houses built in and around CM in the last 10 years.  ALL had a proper electric schematic which was quite professional.  And ,  all the houses were under a million baht....

I did advocate overseeing the work to be sure the plans and materials were being followed .

You make it seem like they are ALL bozos...... not what i found.  Maybe i just choose better than you

If you choose to be a troll, I don't give a shit.  If you haven't followed what I post and you take one out of context, that's your bad.  

Archived