Question regarding the 800K in the bank day of extension transaction type?

I'm going to have to extend the visa soon, will go with the 800k in a separate bank account method for 3 months. (with 5,000 THB extra on top in case of bank fees during the 3 months)

From my understanding, IM wants the bankbook to show the same date as the day I go to extend the visa.

Now in order to do so, means that I have to initiate a transaction on this separate 800k saving account, in order for the bank book to show that the money is in fact still there.

The question is, do I deposit say 1,000 THB to the account and make it 806,000 or withdraw 1,000 THB to make it 804,000?

It sounds dumb, but I lose sleep even over such small details.

Cheers.

Edited by sleepy99
add info

6 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

Thanks, I was overthinking and thought that there might be a problem if I add more money etc. silly me.

800K is the minimum balance. You can have as much as you want in the account.

However you choose to update the book just make sure the balance does not fall below 800K.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

800K is the minimum balance. You can have as much as you want in the account.

However you choose to update the book just make sure the balance does not fall below 800K.

Got it.

I'm not planing to even use this account at all, it's a brand new account separated from my spending account.

There should basically only be 2 transactions showing then, the deposit of 800K+ 3 months prior, then the second transaction showing a few hundred THB added on the day I go to IM.

I hope that would be ok.

When you get the letter from the bank get them to print a certified statement as well, You need it anyway. Instead of 3 months they can do any amount of months you want if you ask nicely. I tend to move some money in and out of the (ringfenced) account around the 3 month point and just ask them to do a four month statement. This way some activity is recorded on the account. I use this account for bringing money in, then transfer it to my 'working' account.  I always carry the book for extensions just in case they want to see it. I also have the working book just in case but have never been asked to show it- they did ask once if I had a second account and it was not an issue. 

This is n Phuket, other offices may differ.

Edit : Just had a look at my (K Bank) book that I've had since 2014- I can't see any bank charges (interest payments are nice though) but I try to keep it about 3 k over the 800k just in case something occurs. I think I paid cash for the last Debit Card. This account is ringfenced so I never actually use the card

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

When you get the letter from the bank get them to print a certified statement as well, You need it anyway. Instead of 3 months they can do any amount of months you want if you ask nicely. I tend to move some money in and out of the (ringfenced) account around the 3 month point and just ask them to do a four month statement. This way some activity is recorded on the account. I use this account for bringing money in, then transfer it to my 'working' account.  I always carry the book for extensions just in case they want to see it. I also have the working book just in case but have never been asked to show it- they did ask once if I had a second account and it was not an issue. 

So this "certified statement" is some sort of letter like, Mr.Smith has had no less (or have?) than 805,000 THB in our bank for the last 4 months something like that?

I'm sure each bank differ a bit with the letter, however has any one ever posted an example how such a letter from the bank should look like? I use a less poppular bank which is Thanachart bank, and it might come in handy if they ask me in confusion what letter it is I want them to issue.

1 minute ago, sleepy99 said:

So this "certified statement" is some sort of letter like, Mr.Smith has had no less (or have?) than 805,000 THB in our bank for the last 4 months something like that?

Yep, go into your bank and tell them you need  a 'letter for immigration' they should know what you mean. As well as that they should do the A4 size statement as a matter of course but if its a small branch they may not be as aware as one dealing with farang on a regular basis. Both will have the bank manager's Sig and stamp on them.

4 minutes ago, farangx said:

Best to get the letter done on the same day you apply for that extension.  Some offices don't ask to see the bank book maybe because of this.

1 trip to the bank branch early morning, hope it's not packed, wait for the letter, which if on same date, hope that the manager who has the power to sign it is in, then another trip to IM within the same day. That's a bit tight.

A letter dated yesterday, with a bankbook showing an updated transaction on the date of extension should be ok I hope? it takes 5 minutes to update the bank book.

1 minute ago, sleepy99 said:

1 trip to the bank branch early morning, hope it's not packed, wait for the letter, which if on same date, hope that the manager who has the power to sign it is in, then another trip to IM within the same day. That's a bit tight.

A letter dated yesterday, with a bankbook showing an updated transaction on the date of extension should be ok I hope? it takes 5 minutes to update the bank book.

Mine took on average 20 mins (excluding queuing time) to prepare and then it is off to immigration.

Just now, BEVUP said:

I have an English friend that does the 800,000 episode 

He has to actually show movement of money in & out of that account for the whole yr since you are suppose to be living of this

In Korat 

More worries to the bucket.

I have another bank account that I use for monthly spendings. I'll bring both bank books in.

But I've never heard this one before, I mean if they ask, I can surely show that I have 2 bank accounts I hope. It's just easier to have the 800K in a separate account.

1 minute ago, farangx said:

Mine took on average 20 mins (excluding queuing time) to prepare and then it is off to immigration.

Did they also request you to show movement of money in & out of that account for the whole yr? or was it a pure saving account to season 800k?

17 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Edit : Just had a look at my (K Bank) book that I've had since 2014- I can't see any bank charges (interest payments are nice though) but I try to keep it about 3 k over the 800k just in case something occurs. I think I paid cash for the last Debit Card. This account is ringfenced so I never actually use the card

Is this account of yours also a separate account solely for just the 800K seasoning? 

10 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

Depending on the office (it would be handy if you said where you are for locals to chip in) the Bank letter is supposed to be valid for 30 days. Why not just pop into your branch and ask them well in advance. That way if there are going to be any difficulties when it comes time to get it. There was a new lady dealing with this last time I was in and what should have taken ten minutes at most took nearly 40,

With the distance I have from the Imm office I get the letter the afternoon before as waiting for the bank to open at ten then brave Phuket traffic could mean me missing getting in before lunch and having to wait (see above comment as well).

Edited by Psimbo

On 10/12/2018 at 7:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

A fixed deposit account will be accepted at the majority of immigration offices.

There are a few offices that want to see activity in the account to show you are using it to live on. Having another account with some activity or other proof of the funds you are living on will be accepted to resolve the problem.

Found this

7 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

Did they also request you to show movement of money in & out of that account for the whole yr? or was it a pure saving account to season 800k?

With Phuket I never got that, and my account is rather inactive.  If you can get a letter from the bank for 1 account and you want to bring other bank books along, it is better not to show them because like I said elsewhere, they might not be able to take it, so don't stress them.

Also since you can put up the 800K, put up with it until you can stand no more before getting that elite visa.  You never know when you need that money.

Edited by farangx

7 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

Is this account of yours also a separate account solely for just the 800K seasoning? 

Yes, as I said above this is a ringfenced account and I move the extra cash out of it, leaving the 800k alone.

Again, as above, I take in my working account book as well just in case. IIRC I have only shown it once and he didn't want a copy, just wanted to see it.

As stated in Post 15 don't produce the second book unless they request it- they'll only find something else for you to produce!

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, farangx said:

With Phuket I never got that, and my account is rather in active.  If you can get a letter from the bank for 1 account and you want to bring other bank books along, it is better not to show them because I like said elsewhere, they might not be able to take it.

Also since you can put up the 800K, put up with it until you can stand no more before getting that elite visa.

Noted, better to only show what is exactly asked for. But I guess if I'm really pushed if they make a problem about seeing "movement" I have no choice to show my other spending bank book account. 

2 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Yes, as I said above this is a ringfenced account and I move the extra cash out of it, leaving the 800k alone.

Again, as above, I take in my working account book as well just in case. IIRC I have only shown it once and he didn't want a copy, just wanted to see it.

As stated in Post 15 don't produce the second book unless they request it- they'll only find something else for you to produce!

Thank you for the tip.

47 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

Got it.

I'm not planing to even use this account at all, it's a brand new account separated from my spending account.

There should basically only be 2 transactions showing then, the deposit of 800K+ 3 months prior, then the second transaction showing a few hundred THB added on the day I go to IM.

I hope that would be ok.

When you go for the renewal it’s worth taking (don’t give unless requested) the bank book of the account you use for spending.

The 800K is supposed to be funds you live on in lieu of an income. Occasionally, if it remains untouched, the IO might ask for details of the money you live on.

• Thanks 1

i have used fixed accounts at Bangkok Bank in Hua Hin for five years.

For fixed accounts you need a letter stating you have had 800k in the account because the passbook only updates every 90 days. Even if there is a deposit for 800k a year ago and NO withdraws they still need the letter.   

For standard savings I have updated the passbook on the morning you go to immigration and get statements printed by the bank for the last three months. make sure you see the balance on a date before 90 days minus your trip to immigration.  89 days will not fly.

Make sure every page of the letters from the bank are stamped by the bank. 

Make sure you have the letters all nicely organized, dress like you are going to a business meeting or job interview, no tee shirts, sandals or flip flops, shorts or anything like that.  

that is all there is to it.

44 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

Found this

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1