Question regarding the 800K in the bank day of extension transaction type?

And 1 more thing.  IF you are using an account that has debits and credits, the bank will ask if you want the fee for that letter to be deducted from it or pay cash.  Always pay cash because you just won't know if the letter is already completed and that fee deduction will result in a different balance amount from the letter, on the off chance that the IO wants to see your bank book.

Edited by farangx
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sleepy99 said:

More worries to the bucket.

I have another bank account that I use for monthly spendings. I'll bring both bank books in.

But I've never heard this one before, I mean if they ask, I can surely show that I have 2 bank accounts I hope. It's just easier to have the 800K in a separate account.

Yes, I've never understood this "requirement" because surely the fewer entries in the retirement account the easier it is to see that the balance has never dipped below the threshold.

Having an account to show them more activity and the paying of day-to-day expenses should overcome any problem in this regard.  I guess the issue is wanting to know how you support yourself in Thailand, and this second account with more activity in it supposedly gives evidence to support the conclusion that you are not working in Thailand (although, what kind of evidence can you really present that "proves" you aren't doing something?).

Another thing to worry about.  ???? If you use a small branch it's possible that the bank letter and certified bank statement might take overnight to process.  (Actually I think the guy who has to sign off on the letter isn't always there, maybe only checks in once a day, who knows?)  In the Krungsri Bank branch I use, I have to ask for the letter and statement one day in advance.  Then I come back when the bank opens the next morning and get the letter and statement and then go off to Phuket immigration to apply for the retirement extension.  So for me, my letter is only one or maybe zero days old depending on when they date it.  Never been asked at Phuket Immigration to show activity (the bank balance) on the day of the application, although I understand this is required in other offices, e.g., Bangkok.

This is one of the reasons I always apply for my extension between 30 and 45 days early.  Just in case something goes wrong.  So far, it's never happened. ????

17 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Another thing to worry about.  ???? If you use a small branch it's possible that the bank letter and certified bank statement might take overnight to process.  (Actually I think the guy who has to sign off on the letter isn't always there, maybe only checks in once a day, who knows?)  In the Krungsri Bank branch I use, I have to ask for the letter and statement one day in advance.  Then I come back when the bank opens the next morning and get the letter and statement and then go off to Phuket immigration to apply for the retirement extension.  So for me, my letter is only one or maybe zero days old depending on when they date it.  Never been asked at Phuket Immigration to show activity (the bank balance) on the day of the application, although I understand this is required in other offices, e.g., Bangkok.

This is one of the reasons I always apply for my extension between 30 and 45 days early.  Just in case something goes wrong.  So far, it's never happened. ????

I always extend mine 30 days in advance as well, to leave room for fixing any possible problem. I didn't know that you could even extend 45 days in advance?? is that true and the maximum?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could add few hundred baht to the account to be able to do the update the bank book.

I will be going this route this year. Why do you have to add / deduct anything. The ' update ' of the book will show 800,000 on the day will it not?

1 minute ago, pontious said:

I will be going this route this year. Why do you have to add / deduct anything. The ' update ' of the book will show 800,000 on the day will it not?

From my personal experience, if there is no additional movement or change of balance at all, the bank book can't be updated. I might be wrong.

Edited by sleepy99

8 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

From my personal experience, if there is no additional movement or change of balance at all, the bank book can't be updated. I might be wrong.

Yes but No :wink:

At KasikornBank by example you can ask them to make a deposit of zero baht.

It's enough to allow to update their passbook.

13 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

No you may be right - I have not  used this before either. Whatever, if you have 800,000 Baht in your bank account and another account to show living expenses and you apply 30 days before I would not lose any sleep over it. Don't worry so much.

You will be fine.

Edited by pontious
add

2 hours ago, BEVUP said:

I have an English friend that does the 800,000 episode 

He has to actually show movement of money in & out of that account for the whole yr since you are suppose to be living of this

In Korat 

Christ, never  been asked for that I  just leave it in there, we  live solely  off my Wifes  money even though the extension is for "supporting a Thai  wife"  guess Im technically  illegal.

10 minutes ago, pontious said:

No you may be right - I have not  used this before either. Whatever, if you have 800,000 Baht in your bank account and another account to show living expenses and you apply 30 days before I would not lose any sleep over it. Don't worry so much.

You will be fine.

My other spending account is a joint account with my GF, both my name and her name on it. While my 800K account will be only in my name of course. My spending account has well over 100k+ per month going in from overseas as well, but since it's a joint account, I am going with the 800K method using my single name separate account. Alas my spending account would be my resort to the explanation if they ask about "movement" but based on the suggestions in this thread, I won't show it to them unless asked or produce any papers from that account yet, only from my 800k required 3 month spending account.

3 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

My other spending account is a joint account with my GF, both my name and her name on it. While my 800K account will be only in my name of course. My spending account has well over 100k+ per month going in from overseas as well, but since it's a joint account, I am going with the 800K method using my single name separate account. Alas my spending account would be my resort to the explanation if they ask about "movement" but based on the suggestions in this thread, I won't show it to them unless asked or produce any papers from that account yet, only from my 800k required 3 month spending account.

I agree - like me I will have the joint account available if asked.

• Like 1

OP, 3 pages for VERY simple question. Perhaps you have already advised in thread where your doing extension. If you haven't then do.

As for CW bangkok, since its your first...do the bank letter at imm office. They open 8.30am. You most likely won't say anything as they do zillion. You will hand over a fee and 100baht deposit into your a/c. Maybe 300b all up. 

Tip. If its cw...have your tm7 all filled  photo etc. When you arrive walk straight past the area where silly people que for form, go inside and get ticket #. Exit go to bank.....think one floor up. Come back with bank letter. Sit wait. Enjoy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, 3 pages for VERY simple question. Perhaps you have already advised in thread where your doing extension. If you haven't then do.

As for CW bangkok, since its your first...do the bank letter at imm office. They open 8.30am. You most likely won't say anything as they do zillion. You will hand over a fee and 100baht deposit into your a/c. Maybe 300b all up. 

Tip. If its cw...have your tm7 all filled  photo etc. When you arrive walk straight past the area where silly people que for form, go inside and get ticket #. Exit go to bank.....think one floor up. Come back with bank letter. Sit wait. Enjoy

I'm doing my extension in Udon Thani actually.

1 hour ago, pontious said:

Imm at many offices insist on "activity" on the day of application. Just deposit 100baht. I always now do bank letter and activity on the day of app. In past have had letter couple of days prior. Some members will post ..not necessary. Depends in office. Required CW.

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Imm at many offices insist on "activity" on the day of application. Just deposit 100baht. I always now do bank letter and activity on the day of app. In past have had letter couple of days prior. Some members will post ..not necessary. Depends in office. Required CW.

Thank you for the tip, hope they would at least show some sympathy for me being an old fart and being here for more than 10++ years already. I just feel like even though I have well much more than the required funds both savings and income, the paper work and sometimes by the book stuff might give me a hard time, with my age I can't handle deportation, let alone any type of international flight. 

Edited by sleepy99

2 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

I'm doing my extension in Udon Thani actually.

Love udon thani...... In that case I understand your question more clearly. Some branches might not know what your talking about re bank letter. If your bank has head office in udon I would obtain letter there. In my thinking, since udon has so many farang, perhaps central plaza banks are familiar with this service. 

5 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

Thank you for the tip, hope they would at least show some sympathy for me being an old fart and being here for more than 10++ years already. I just feel like even though well much more than the required funds, the paper work and sometimes by the book stuff might give me a hard time, with my age I can't handle deportation, let a lone any type of international flight. 

You would never be deported for needing more paperwork. You can apply for extension 30 days before your "until date". Allow some buffer if there is something else they want. Chill...after this extension using money in bank you will find it very easy ongoing. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You would never be deported for needing more paperwork. You can apply for extension 30 days before your "until date". Slow some buffer if there is something else they want. Chill...after this extension using money in bank you will find it very easy ongoing. 

I was told that I can apply 45 days before my VISA expires? Not sure if that's true or not, but I always went to IM 30 days in advance with my previous extensions, and using the Affidavit method.

1 minute ago, sleepy99 said:

I was told that I can apply 45 days before my VISA expires? Not sure if that's true or not, but I always went to IM 30 days in advance with my previous extensions, and using the Affidavit method.

At some imm offices you can apply 45 days prior. As per bkk and some larger cities perhap chiang mai etc. Others are 30. But you dont need anything more than week or 2 as safe guard. Keep in mind the 3 month period for funds in bank is prior to date you apply. Not the date of your current extension

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

At some imm offices you can apply 45 days prior. As per bkk and some larger cities perhap chiang mai etc. Others are 30. But you dont need anything more than week or 2 as safe guard. Keep in mind the 3 month period for funds in bank is prior to date you apply. Not the date of your current extension

Noted, thanks for the comfort, at least I can get some sleep. I wished that IM would look in to more accompanying factors as well, the fact that I've been here for so long, but each visit over the years feels more and more depressed to me.

7 minutes ago, sleepy99 said:

Noted, thanks for the comfort, at least I can get some sleep. I wished that IM would look in to more accompanying factors as well, the fact that I've been here for so long, but each visit over the years feels more and more depressed to me.

I know lot of guys in udon that feel same way. Some use agents. I think if can afford the 800k bank method, then it isn't too hard. Just do this extension and you will be fine.

• Like 1

I have been doing my "visa" in Udon Thani for the past five years using 800k in the bank, it has never taken any longer than 30 minutes.

The bank book and letter have to have exactly the same amounts stated, preferably dated for the same day, I use Siam commercial bank, before this last year there software never updated the bank book if their had been no transactions and the end amount was the same, this was a problem one year and had to return to bank and take out 100 Baht, last year the software had been changed and updated the book regardless to the the days date, so no need to do anything apart from check.

Good luck.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

I have been doing my "visa" in Udon Thani for the past five years using 800k in the bank, it has never taken any longer than 30 minutes.

The bank book and letter have to have exactly the same amounts stated, preferably dated for the same day, I use Siam commercial bank, before this last year there software never updated the bank book if their had been no transactions and the end amount was the same, this was a problem one year and had to return to bank and take out 100 Baht, last year the software had been changed and updated the book regardless to the the days date, so no need to do anything apart from check.

Good luck.

"The bank book and letter have to have exactly the same amounts stated"

So that probably means, take out or put in a 100 THB first so the bank book can be updated, and has the latest balance for the day, then ask for the bank letter with the same amount as the bank book? I guess that's the only way it can have the same exact balance.

Wish you could tell wich SCB branch you are using, as I've tried to open a SCB account at a branch on Taharn Road before and it was difficult so I tried another bank.

2 hours ago, sleepy99 said:

I always extend mine 30 days in advance as well, to leave room for fixing any possible problem. I didn't know that you could even extend 45 days in advance?? is that true and the maximum?

30 days in advance is the general maximum countrywide as I understand it but some immigration offices (Phuket is one) will do them up to 45 days early.  Phuket didn't ask me why I was doing it 45 days early, but some will ask for a reason (like planned travel or something like that).

Certainly 30 days is early enough.  Two weeks is probably early enough.  I don't understand why someone would go with only a few days remaining, though.  Maybe they enjoy the suspense?  ???? 

1 minute ago, skatewash said:

30 days in advance is the general maximum countrywide as I understand it but some immigration offices (Phuket is one) will do them up to 45 days early.  Phuket didn't ask me why I was doing it 45 days early, but some will ask for a reason (like planned travel or something like that).

Certainly 30 days is early enough.  Two weeks is probably early enough.  I don't understand why someone would go with only a few days remaining, though.  Maybe they enjoy the suspense?  ???? 

Suspense is the last thing I want at my age.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sleepy99 said:

You worry too much and rather unwarranted.  The 800K is the easiest of them all. For me it has always been application on the day takes under an hour depending on IO workload, and then collection the next afternoon.

Perhaps this will give you some peace of mind, though not recommended.  A few months back when I did my usual extension, because of my dates miscalculation for the 800K, I could only apply for the extension the day before my extension expires.  On top of that I only realize that morning that my 90 day reporting was 3 days overdue.  How's that for a triple witching hour?.  I am just a retiree that wakes up at 2pm and the brain starts working after 6pm, it has to be a walk in the park. ????

Edited by farangx
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, farangx said:

You worry too much and rather unwarranted.  The 800K is the easiest of them all. For me it has always been application on the day takes under an hour depending on IO workload, and then collection the next afternoon.

Perhaps this will give you some peace of mind, though not recommended.  A few months back when I did my usual extension, because of my dates miscalculation I could only apply for the extension the day before my extension expires.  On top of that I only realize that morning that my 90 day reporting was 3 days overdue.  How's that for a triple witching hour?.  I am just a retiree that wakes up at 2pm and the brain starts working after 6pm, it has to be a walk in the park. ????

Sounds like my worst night mare.. 

11 hours ago, farangx said:

And 1 more thing.  IF you are using an account that has debits and credits, the bank will ask if you want the fee for that letter to be deducted from it or pay cash.  Always pay cash because you just won't know if the letter is already completed and that fee deduction will result in a different balance amount from the letter, on the off chance that the IO wants to see your bank book.

Never been asked, always paid cash. Seems simpler to keep the account a little above 800k so that this massive 100 baht charge doesn't jeopardize your extension.