Poll shows Gen Prayut most suitable to be next PM

webfact

20 minutes ago, stropper said:

why the hell would you people submit your ting tong comments to some thing you have no say in what ever ,and you can not even vote in this country, for god sake shut the XXXX up and let the thais run THERE COUNTRY,, the EMPIRE IS GONE ! as is england, its called the E U now, thats how voting works for you whinging lot!

Your post demonstrates your deep understanding of the raison d'etre of a social media discussion forum, the difference between England, Britain and the United Kingdom, the demographics of TVF membership and current world affairs particularly appertaining to the EU.

Thank you so much for such erudite comments.

Oh, btw, no one forces you to read any post or even be a member.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The poll has been done in Bangkok perimeter, 70 per cent of "Reds" live in rural areas.

I heard his first CD, I almost called an Ambulance, I thought someone was screaming in pain,

lucky the locals told me it was just The General singing.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

If the man is most popular and suitable, why is he not standing for election when he know that he will beat the living daylight off any competitor. In fact, why he even hesitate to join a party. For all his ego, nothing will give him that air of credibility and legitimacy and an opportunity to shut up his detractors by winning the election easily. Why the need to keep postponing the election, trying to get the position as a non-elected outside candidate, re-write the election laws,  gerrymander the boundaries and keep out foreign observers if the polls are correct. Calling the polls bs and full of craps and that include the man behind all this. 

Eric, it seems fashionable nowadays for the non electable to re-write the rules to keep power, ever they first achieved it. Madura, Hun Sen, numerous African democratic despots, former USSR member states despots, etc etc.

What's amusing, albeit sad, is they all try and create this air of legitimacy, credibility, respectability. They all probably use the same of similar off shore tax havens and banks too!

It's a sad reflection that in virtually all societies, only a tiny % of people take an active part in politics and try and change things. Most seem to believe they can't influence or change things and it is as it is. 

In the UK, despite the social unrest of the Industrial Revolution, it took the calamity of 2 World Wars to facilitate change. Now it's on the brink of another calamity which may well change it significantly. Here, there haven't been any such cataclysmic phenomenon. It just trundles along with most seemly inclined to think nothing can be changed, that the families at the top will always play musical chairs for control and will always control a vast % of the wealth.

In the "information age" you'd think things might change more quickly; that better informed people might react more. But seemingly not.

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Despite an history of corrupt governments, elected and non elected, there's not AFAIK, an history of election rigging.

Buying of votes with promised favors, cash incentives, coercion, peer group pressure, prevention of electioneering campaigning etc etc etc. But not poll rigging. 

Why do you suspect this will happen when there's no need? 

Puzzle me too why the need for early election campaigning while others are not allowed or throwing out large populist policies to buy votes when really there is no need. Even went to the extreme by changing the constitution and election laws to 'buy' those votes for Prayut's friendly party. Got a lending hand from the EC to gerrymander the constituency boundaries. But the most extreme rigging got to be the refusal to relinquish article 44 which has the power to invoke laws to limit freedom of expression or arrest and detain individuals, intimidate the voters. 

14 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Despite an history of corrupt governments, elected and non elected, there's not AFAIK, an history of election rigging.

Buying of votes with promised favors, cash incentives, coercion, peer group pressure, prevention of electioneering campaigning etc etc etc. But not poll rigging. 

Why do you suspect this will happen when there's no need? 

You are correct. It is virtually impossible to rig an election In Thailand and this has been the case for decades. Foreign observers are a good idea but I don't think they are essential.

Vote buying is a well-known canard. It's long been demonstrated as having little effect. Having said that it does exist and is certainly not limited to one side.

Peer group pressure does exist, as it exists in every democracy. How it nets out is up for debate. Personally, I see brainwashed types in the Bangkok middle class as much as in Isaan villages.

Yes, prevention of election campaigning is an issue. The behaviour of the Junta on this matter has already raised important issues of legitimacy regarding the forthcoming elections. In an ideal world, a vibrant and courageous Electoral Commission would have called out the offenders.

The point which surprises me the most is that you made no mention of the rigged military-imposed constitution which means the election in a broader sense than the polling process will be outrageously rigged. Apologists will argue that this was a matter ratified by the Thai people in a constitutional referendum. That feeble excuse can, of course, be demolished with ease given the way the referendum was organised, but this is not the place for that digression.

A recent USA TV documentary on Thai TV.  Showed that there are about 70 million Thai people in Thailand  2/3rds of the wealth of Thailand is held by 700,000 of the wealthiest people.  Do you think given a real opportunity any of those 69,300,000 other Thais will vote for him?

35 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You are correct. It is virtually impossible to rig an election In Thailand and this has been the case for decades. Foreign observers are a good idea but I don't think they are essential.

Vote buying is a well-known canard. It's long been demonstrated as having little effect. Having said that it does exist and is certainly not limited to one side.

Peer group pressure does exist, as it exists in every democracy. How it nets out is up for debate. Personally, I see brainwashed types in the Bangkok middle class as much as in Isaan villages.

Yes, prevention of election campaigning is an issue. The behaviour of the Junta on this matter has already raised important issues of legitimacy regarding the forthcoming elections. In an ideal world, a vibrant and courageous Electoral Commission would have called out the offenders.

The point which surprises me the most is that you made no mention of the rigged military-imposed constitution which means the election in a broader sense than the polling process will be outrageously rigged. Apologists will argue that this was a matter ratified by the Thai people in a constitutional referendum. That feeble excuse can, of course, be demolished with ease given the way the referendum was organised, but this is not the place for that digression.

As far as I know, criticizing anyone in Thailand is defamation.   Defamation is a criminal offense in Thailand...I rest my case, it could be a problem expressing my real views on this site?   I suggest others take notice. 

5 minutes ago, Thaimarkz said:

The opinions of 1,018 individuals.............. LOL.... What about the other 69.04 million individuals?

Hold the election timely, fair and nonviolent and without cheating, and accept the result whatever it will bring...

The Thailand Life.jpg

Not the amartya way. They're entitled...

2 hours ago, David Walden said:

As far as I know, criticizing anyone in Thailand is defamation.   Defamation is a criminal offense in Thailand...I rest my case, it could be a problem expressing my real views on this site?   I suggest others take notice. 

You worry too much. As long as you keep away from the monarchy, you are quite safe in expressing your opinion. 

With so many people calling Prayuth the Fickwut he really is in social media, the courts would be overflowing with cases if he took action against them all. And this poll is about as reliable as a chocolate condom.   

I conducted my own poll in Chiang Mai and got a completely different set of opinions on the suitability of General Prayut as Prime Minister.

Most say the problem began with the Army's decision to abandon a democratic constitution, and hold a referendum asking the electorate whether they preferred a new undemocratic constitution or no constitution at all. The result is a dictatorial system offering only those options suiting a small sector of society believing their own superiority, and confident of being backed up by force when necessary.

A bit like the British Parliament in Victorian times.

Also I hope they keep doing these ridiculous polls as it will build Numbnuts ego up so much (is this really possible?), that if the results of the election prove exactly the opposite, he may have such a mental breakdown that he won't been seen in public ever again. Could even win the award for National Embarrassment. 

Archived