Retirement Visa

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Your last 4 words (which I have taken the liberty of highlighting in bold) appear to me to be the crucial ones here.

All bets would, I think, be off were BJ to organise a shakedown.

I agree it could happen , but it would not affect those already received their valid stamps in the passports.  

• Like 1

What exactly determines whether a stamp is valid or not. Fake rubber stamps have frequently been found.  And, chances are if a stamp in a foreigner's passport turns out to be fake, the foreigner will probably suffer the consequences. Not to mention the fake lawyer reported on in the Kaosod English story...

Fake Lawyer Busted Over Foreigner Visa Scams

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2018/10/12/fake-lawyer-busted-over-foreigner-visa-scams/

6 minutes ago, mosan said:

What exactly determines whether a stamp is valid or not. Fake rubber stamps have frequently been found.  And, chances are if a stamp in a foreigner's passport turns out to be fake, the foreigner will probably suffer the consequences.

Anybody that does not go to immigration to get thing done stands the risk of getting fake stamps unless they know with certainty the agent or lawyer is reputable.

I personally would never do use an agent or whatever unless I was present at immigration with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Anybody that does not go to immigration to get things done stands the risk of getting fake stamps unless they know with certainty the agent or lawyer is reputable.

I personally would never do use an agent or whatever unless I was present at immigration with them.

They cannot fake the entry into the computer, so don,t see use of a fake stamp in pp!

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:
16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They cannot fake the entry into the computer, so don,t see use of a fake stamp in pp!

The risk is that the IMM big shot who authorized the Section 35 waiver of extension requirements will be removed from his/her position for taking under-the-table payments from agents and all the extensions issued under his/her purview be subject to review.

... or as per the recent posting here: “I’d like to remind all foreigners that their stays and businesses in this country have to be legal,” (Big Joke) Surachate said. “We’re watching you.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Why would a Scam Artist bother with entries in a computer...and what computer are you referring to--Immigration computers?  If it's fake, chances are the only place that stamp (or whatever) will be is in the recipient's passport (along with the others that were faked.) It will not be discovered until an official tries to research the number on the stamp and it doesn't pan out...

8 minutes ago, mosan said:

Why would a Scam Artist bother with entries in a computer...and what computer are you referring to--Immigration computers?  If it's fake, chances are the only place that stamp (or whatever) will be is in the recipient's passport (along with the others that were faked.) It will not be discovered until an official tries to research the number on the stamp and it doesn't pan out...

Scam artist ? What are you on about? Thread is about fake extension stamp in an agent supported application to TI, for a retirement extension.No use if it’s not logged in TI system( computer accessible)

18 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

The risk is that the IMM big shot who authorized the Section 35 waiver of extension requirements will be removed from his/her position for taking under-the-table payments from agents and all the extensions issued under his/her purview be subject to review.

... or as per the recent posting here: “I’d like to remind all foreigners that their stays and businesses in this country have to be legal,” (Big Joke) Surachate said. “We’re watching you.”

Perhaps he should issue a similar reminder to his agent cohorts ,then it would have some credence!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Perhaps he should issue a similar reminder to his agent cohorts ,then it would have some credence

Maybe he already has just not so publicly.

It seems to me that there are a lot of folks on here who say "I just use an agent" with the same abandon as buying a Chang beer at the 7-11 and putting a whole lot of faith in that continuing to be the case.

Edited by JLCrab

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Maybe he already has just not so publicly.

It seems to me that there are a lot of folks on here who say "I just use an agent" with the same abandon as buying a Chang beer at the 7-11 and putting a whole lot of faith in that continuing to be the case.

Maybe, seems their not taking much heed of it tho...As to clients I would be more concerned by offers from (non agents )for assistance tho, as agents are at least “official”.

10 minutes ago, Olmate said:

.As to clients I would be more concerned

Good for you -- I'm not concerned for any of them:  Agents, clients, IMM officers or you however you might fit into the mix.

Edited by JLCrab

30 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Good for you -- I'm not concerned for any of them:  Agents, clients, IMM officers or you however you might fit into the mix.

That’s a surprise, I shall assess your further postings in that light then.Lack of concern is a real quality you need to promote on this forum!

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Agreed.  But then the same fellow (Surachate) said in a press interview, that IOs are "fooled" by agents into thinking the money shown on the bank-letter belongs to the applicant - when he darn-well knows no one is being "fooled" - they simply don't check and/or waive the seasoning.  

Are applicants even required to provide seasoning-proof copies with their applications when applying, or is this no more than a visual-check of a passbook, for which no record is kept on file? 

18 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I’m obviously concerned you don’t promote anything other than a biased view of this topic

You're right -- I'm biased. I'm biased about promoting how to comply with the law not about promoting how to not comply with they law.

If someone wants to come on here and promote how not to comply with the law, I don't know why I should have a concern for them now or, if in the future, they get stung by that.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Are applicants even required to provide seasoning-proof copies with their applications when applying, or is this no more than a visual-check of a passbook, for which no record is kept on file? 

I don't know -- ask an agent or someone who uses an agent.

On 1/15/2019 at 1:04 PM, JackThompson said:

Chiang Mai has been reported as rejecting TM-28s (reporting a move, to facilitate 90-day reporting in-area), in order to prevent applicants avoiding their local agent-money pipeline.

Have Chiang Mai Immigration actually said is to anybody?

What exactly determines whether a stamp is valid or not. Fake rubber stamps have frequently been found.  And, chances are if a stamp in a foreigner's passport turns out to be fake, the foreigner will probably suffer the consequences. Not to mention the fake lawyer reported on in the Kaosod English story...

Fake Lawyer Busted Over Foreigner Visa Scams
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2018/10/12/fake-lawyer-busted-over-foreigner-visa-scams/
There are reputable agents and there are probably also scammers out there.

Many of my friends who use agents go to the same agent year after year, they are working with the bank and immigration officials.

The stamp must be valid , after all you have to report every 90 days, and a fake stamp could be recognized. Maybe you want to leave the country several times during that year. So you need to trust your stamp.

As long as we do not hear reports about anyone on retirement being busted with fake stamps, I would not be too worried.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sumrit said:

Have Chiang Mai Immigration actually said is to anybody?

We had reports that Chiang Mai refused to accept TM-28s, which makes it impossible for one with an extension from elsewhere to move there and begin submitting 90-day reports.  I also recall some agent-fee quotes from the area that were quite high, combined with years of reports of difficulty obtaining service in-person (sans-agent). 

But, these reports pre-date the recent reorganization, which ended the "get in line at 3AM" routine - another "stick" used to coerce agent-use - so perhaps this "no TM-28s" rule has since been rescinded.

7 hours ago, JLCrab said:

I don't know -- ask an agent or someone who uses an agent.

I am referring to in-person, honest applicants using the "money in the bank" method - not sure if they just "look at the bank-book" to check seasoning, or if they require copies of seasoning-proof, which are kept in the file. 

Unless copies of seasoning-proof are kept, it would be impossible after-the-fact to find/show which applications had the seasoning checked, and which did not - an omission which would provide a lot of CYA room for IOs working with agents - could be indistinguishable from honest-applications.

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I am referring to in-person, honest applicants using the "money in the bank" method - not sure if they just "look at the bank-book" to check seasoning, or if they require copies of seasoning-proof, which are kept in the file. 

Unless copies of seasoning-proof are kept, it would be impossible after-the-fact to find/show which applications had the seasoning checked, and which did not - an omission which would provide a lot of CYA room for IOs working with agents - could be indistinguishable from honest-applications.

Of course they require copies of the bank book showing updated balance and any transactions for the last three months. Have you ever met any Thai government entity that didn't keep copies of everything?

Sophon