Converting current driving lights (globes) to LED lights

4MyEgo

I thought only the locals tinted their windows so they cannot see what they hit.

I have just removed the windscreen tint from my older car and just put a darker band across the top also cut a piece out of the side windows so I can see the rear view mirrors, marvellous improvement to my nighttime vision.

Driving here is dangerous enough and driving blind is damn stupid, your OE globes are legal and adequate as long as you don’t cover your screen with vanity film, as others have said the glass with clear tint is as good as you need, as for lights ,buy a pair of LED spots connected to main beam only .

On 1/15/2019 at 12:22 PM, kannot said:

let  me  tell you some truths  about window tinting then check  for  your self............front windscreen is laminated glass with a  layer of  plastic in that glass, the plastic  will stop 99.9% of UV, side  windows not laminated but you can put CLEAR  film, that too  will stop 99.9% of uv. Visible and Uv two different things

EXACTLY. 
The chance to get an accident is very much higher with a 60% darkened front windscreen then to ever get cancer from even infiltered sunlight. Irresponsible move really. 

1 hour ago, hidbehindthesofa said:

Come on guys - the OP has got to be winding us up . . .

Firstly he significantly reduces the visibility through the windscreen - then wants to compensate by introducing stronger headlights . . .

Then he introduces cancer caused by sunlight filtered through glass . . . 

This may be the sort of nonsense that the natives believe but it appears some of you have been here too long and are going soft in the head !

Nah... I think he's legit abut getting brighter lights (it is a Ranger after all) but allowed himself to be sucked into the perpetual 'debate' from the anti-tint brigade, the motoring forums equivalent to the the anti-Trump and anti-Brexit (and anti-Thai) cliques on other forums.

The more Lumens , the more light. The more watts, mostly the more Lumens.

I see LED lighting for cars, they are 18 W and have up to 5000 Lumens/set. So higher then normal halogeen. 

But the prices are as you say or maybe just a little lower. Browse internet.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kits/h4-dual-color-led-headlight-conversion-kit-w-fog-light-function-whiteyellow-4500-lumensset-fanless/5125/11673/

You can change it yourself, after ordering it. Think also about the color light and the FITTING. These ones in the link or even bi color but are an H4. But there are many kinds of fittings

Also with a gas , like xenon, in the bulbs, the light gets brighter and are less expensive. I mean the lights with glow spiral, not the xenon gaslights which you have to ignite. They are way more expensive and then you need to change the whole unit. 

LED's should have a longer lifetime. however how many times you changed your lights?

With LED's you need a LED driver to regulate the power. Its a small electronic device which could break and your LED is still good then or could be even integrated in your lights. Mostly go wrong there (driver) and you have to replace. which again costs. its up to you.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this:

Can your bulb units handle the different heat

Are they sealed to prevent water ingress

Can your wiring and relays handle the extra amps required etc

I've known quite a few friends ruin the wiring looms etc by using higher ampage bulbs!

I would suggest you contact Ford and ask maximum type strength available first, or at least look in the internet  etc.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Nah... I think he's legit abut getting brighter lights (it is a Ranger after all) but allowed himself to be sucked into the perpetual 'debate' from the anti-tint brigade, the motoring forums equivalent to the the anti-Trump and anti-Brexit (and anti-Thai) cliques on other forums.

Our Toyota pick up has tint on the windscreen 3m fitted by the dealer and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t? We have a silvery tint not the dark smoked, so does help with heat when parked outside, and it doesn’t seem to affect driving? But the rear window you can’t see out of if reversing at night as I guess not enough light, but the camera works so not a worry.

i think tinting the windscreen is ok as long as you don’t go mad with it?

A Thai driver in a tint shop told me , and I agree, that many vehicle  owner in Thailand install dark tint in the windshield, then because they do not see well at night install more powerful lights  that then blind the oncoming drivers.  It is illegal to tint the windshield but the BIB do nothing. 

By the way, if you cross the border to Malaysia with dark tint in the windshield,  they will have you remove the tinting.  There was and article in a newspaper about that a few year ago as thai drivers were not happy.

22 hours ago, cnx355 said:

then because they do not see well at night install more powerful lights  that then blind the oncoming drivers.

it seems to me that half of the cars have this problem ! and they always are cheap lowso japs cars, I never found a benz that blinds oncoming trafic.

On 1/15/2019 at 12:12 PM, 4MyEgo said:

That is a concern, the oncoming traffic being blinded, but at the same time I have to see where I am going.

The tint was darker up top and lighter throughout, that is until the sun would burn my skin, cancers etc etc so since the darker tint, no issues, as my Dermatologist said, most skin cancers are caused through window exposure with the sun on the skin.

The above said, I don't do a lot of night driving, just down the back road with little traffic to get to and from the local waterhole which is a 20 minutes drive each way, and no one on the road on the way home, and once I dip the high beams should be all good, I would imagine ?

Front screen has a filter sandwiched in...

17 hours ago, moreem said:

it seems to me that half of the cars have this problem ! and they always are cheap lowso japs cars, I never found a benz that blinds oncoming trafic.

What on earth are you talking about....????

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:53 PM, moreem said:

Sure I agree , the original equipment lights in Bens, BMW, Lexus and other luxury cars are engineered with reflector and lamps that do not blind oncoming traffic.

The problems is installing very powerful lamp in a reflector that was built tu use standard lamps.

Archived