Jump to content

Converting current driving lights (globes) to LED lights


4MyEgo

Recommended Posts

I have a Ford Ranger and with the recent tinting of the windows to about 60% all round (great for knocking out the sun during the day), driving at night, especially in the bush can be a little hard, add to that motorcycles with no tail lights or lights at all.

 

So I am thinking of changing the bulbs on my driving lights (globes) to LED lights and was quoted 3,500 baht from a retailer, who then said he could get Philips LED ones for 2,500 baht when I raised my eyebrows, sounds a bit pricey for a couple of LED's as I know installation would take less than 60 seconds per side.

 

Anyone have any knowledge on this or where I might be able to pick up a couple of LED driving lights to replace the current globes for a Ford Ranger 2016 model, pricing would also help.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Careful when changing headlight bulbs LED don't always give you better seeing ahead just blind on coming traffic.

IMO you should have a lighter front screen film with the top of the screen only being darker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Careful when changing headlight bulbs LED don't always give you better seeing ahead just blind on coming traffic.

IMO you should have a lighter front screen film with the top of the screen only being darker.

That is a concern, the oncoming traffic being blinded, but at the same time I have to see where I am going.

 

The tint was darker up top and lighter throughout, that is until the sun would burn my skin, cancers etc etc so since the darker tint, no issues, as my Dermatologist said, most skin cancers are caused through window exposure with the sun on the skin.

 

The above said, I don't do a lot of night driving, just down the back road with little traffic to get to and from the local waterhole which is a 20 minutes drive each way, and no one on the road on the way home, and once I dip the high beams should be all good, I would imagine ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

60% on the screens bloody stupid unless in brilliant sun. Its got 10% OE to start with..

60% you can still see in from the outside, it's a bronze tint, not a dark tint, thought of and researched it long and hard before I went ahead.

 

I have seen vehicles that you cannot see into in the daylight, total blackness, I wonder how they see at night, whereas I can see with my high beams but want to light up the road on occasion in the bush.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The tint was darker up top and lighter throughout, that is until the sun would burn my skin, cancers etc etc so since the darker tint,

let  me  tell you some truths  about window tinting then check  for  your self............front windscreen is laminated glass with a  layer of  plastic in that glass, the plastic  will stop 99.9% of UV, side  windows not laminated but you can put CLEAR  film, that too  will stop 99.9% of uv. Visible and Uv two different things

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

That is a concern, the oncoming traffic being blinded, but at the same time I have to see where I am going.

 

The tint was darker up top and lighter throughout, that is until the sun would burn my skin, cancers etc etc so since the darker tint, no issues, as my Dermatologist said, most skin cancers are cause through window exposure.

 

The above said, I don't do a lot of night driving, just down the back road with little traffic to get to and from the local waterhole which is a 20 minutes drive each way, and no one on the road on the way home, and once I dip the high beams should be all good, I would imagine ?

Only very expensive tint delays skin cancer, and thats debatable.Mines clear tint and it reduces the heat not the % darkness, Snake Oil Salesmen imo. Fashion Statement for Thais n Backward Cap Nits. Hate the stuff.:stoner:

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kannot said:

let  me  tell you some truths  about window tinting then check  for  your self............front windscreen is laminated glass with a  layer of  plastic in that glass, the plastic  will stop 99.9% of UV, side  windows not laminated but you can put CLEAR  film, that too  will stop 99.9% of uv. Visible and Uv two different things

I have had two types of film on, the first was good to drive in at night, but not the day, sun on skin, could feel the burning, it was UV according to the salesperson and 40%

 

The 2nd and current one is 60% and also UV and you can feel the difference in the car, i.e. no burning and cooler, now it could be the 1st salesman did me over, i.e. not UV ?

 

The above said I am happy with the 2nd one and can still see at night with the high beams on, just want to open the light up a bit when in doubt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have had two types of film on, the first was good to drive in at night, but not the day, sun on skin, could feel the burning, it was UV according to the salesperson and 40%

 

The 2nd and current one is 60% and also UV and you can feel the difference in the car, i.e. no burning and cooler, now it could be the 1st salesman did me over, i.e. not UV ?

 

The above said I am happy with the 2nd one and can still see at night with the high beams on, just want to open the light up a bit when in doubt.

CLEAR  film will stop 99.9% UV as u mention cancer dont listen to what the shop tells  you its 100% biased its there to make "you" throw  money at them.

IR and UV two different things and the third visible  light IR is that HOT feeling on your skin.

http://www.christopherteh.com/blog/2013/03/car-cool/

ps read some thorough tests on led  lights many are total and utter  CRAP with an awful spread of light.

Buy a white or silver  car up to 10c  cooler

Dont  go out............best advice

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Perhaps you should put Hi Factor Sun cream on. My old Mom could burn from Moonlight. Allway makes me chuckle if i give Thais or Ferangs a lift. "This is nice, we can see".!.

bucket of lard  will do it

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

 

 

The tint was darker up top and lighter throughout, that is until the sun would burn my skin, cancers etc etc so since the darker tint, no issues, as my Dermatologist said, most skin cancers are caused through window exposure with the sun on the skin.

You need a new dermatologist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same problem with motorbikes. The source of the light, filament in a conventional bulb, has to be in an exact position to get the as designed beam pattern. If you put an LED bulb it is difficult to duplicate the factory location. So you need a new reflector/headlight assembly as well.

 

You could start with xenon bulb with conventional filament. usually about 50% brighter with no difference in beam pattern. Osram/Phillips/et al all have them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are genuine Phillips bulbs then 2,500 THB is not expensive...but he's probably talking about LED bulbs which use Philips Z S leds. Why not opt for an Osram Xenarc HID kit? I think they are around 6,000 THB...It's why I did on my civic as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Professor  needs  to explain clear glass WILL stop about 25% UVB and   virtually all UVA he doesnt say that though in your article, so clear  glass has already stopped 25% uvb before you add any plastic film, they also dont explain why front windshields stop uva/b 100%  virtually which I did earlier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Perhaps you should put Hi Factor Sun cream on. My old Mom could burn from Moonlight. Allway makes me chuckle if i give Thais or Ferangs a lift. "This is nice, we can see".!.

before  or  after  she  changed  into the  werewolf?

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, kannot said:

Professor  needs  to explain clear glass WILL stop about 25% UVB and   virtually all UVA he doesnt say that though in your article, so clear  glass has already stopped 25% uvb before you add any plastic film, they also dont explain why front windshields stop uva/b 100%  virtually which I did earlier.

By the time you put on tints the damage has already been done, although tinting does reduce future problems, i.e. delay the process, gone way off the topic..........

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kannot said:

bucket of lard  will do it

We did that to my grandfather who suffered from the sun.  Not a good idea though, he went down hill very fast afterwards.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

 So you need a new reflector/headlight assembly as well.

 

You could start with xenon bulb with conventional filament. usually about 50% brighter with no difference in beam pattern. Osram/Phillips/et al all have them.

I put higher rate bulbs in my Vigo years back, everyone was flashing their lights at me and the  reflectors coating was peeling, so put OME ones back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

By the time you put on tints the damage has already been done, although tinting does reduce future problems, i.e. delay the process, gone way off the topic..........

u dont  need  the  tint  to  stop uv, clear  stops  just  as  much uv

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ballpoint said:

We did that to my grandfather who suffered from the sun.  Not a good idea though, he went down hill very fast afterwards.

My Auntie Doris, a natural red-head, was up on holidays from Edinburgh and decided to catch some rays in the back garden during a late-summer, mini heatwave in Elgin, way, way back when. She decided that Ambre Solaire was far too expensive so basted herself with 'just a wee bit' of butter... and then made some reflectors out of kitchen foil. Ended up in Dr Gray's for palliative care but with 2nd degree burns, she had to be sent to Foresterhill in Aberdeen. I remember the ambulance ride was fun. I was about 6 or 7 at the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kannot said:

u dont  need  the  tint  to  stop uv, clear  stops  just  as  much uv

Googled:

 

Glass effectively blocks UVB, and windshields are specially treated to block UVA as well, but a car's side and rear windows allow UVA to penetrate. UV exposure is cumulative, and research has proven that skin exposed to sun shining through window glass, even in the office, can over time lead to significant skin damage, suffice to say the basal carcinoma on my right side of my face which was removed under the knife being 80cm in length was caused by the sun over time, and me being on the road more than the normal Joe was advised by the Dermatologist who is qualified in her field of profession, that the cause was more than probable due to me being exposed to the sun sitting in the driver's seat through the window over time.

 

Your theory or advice is not backed up from someone who knows what they are talking about, in hindsight you maybe referring to the front windscreen, I wouldn't know, but to say clear windows stops just as much uv without evidence to support it, says you have no idea what your talking about, and telling me to change Dermatologists, says it all again ! 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The OP's Ranger is blessed with 2 separate types of globe and uses H11 for low beam and HB3 for high beam. There's plenty of fake and generic Chinese dross available locally and on the internet. Rule of thumb is the cheaper it is, the more rubbish it is but some resellers spend money on fancy re-packaging of the cheap and nasty stuff bought in bulk and flip it as quality stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Googled:

 

Glass effectively blocks UVB, and windshields are specially treated to block UVA as well, but a car's side and rear windows allow UVA to penetrate. UV exposure is cumulative, and research has proven that skin exposed to sun shining through window glass, even in the office, can over time lead to significant skin damage, suffice to say the basal carcinoma on my right side of my face which was removed under the knife being 80cm in length was caused by the sun over time, and me being on the road more than the normal Joe was advised by the Dermatologist who is qualified in her field of profession, that the cause was more than probable due to me being exposed to the sun sitting in the driver's seat through the window over time.

 

Your theory or advice is not backed up from someone who knows what they are talking about, in hindsight you maybe referring to the front windscreen, I wouldn't know, but to say clear windows stops just as much uv without evidence to support it, says you have no idea what your talking about, and telling me to change Dermatologists, says it all again ! 

 

 

Whatever u say pal except  go say it to the person who actually  made yer dermatologist  comment not me

Just Weird

  • Titanium Member
  •  
  • Just Weird
  • Advanced Members
  •  3,376
  • 5,584 posts
  15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

 

 

The tint was darker up top and lighter throughout, that is until the sun would burn my skin, cancers etc etc so since the darker tint, no issues, as my Dermatologist said, most skin cancers are caused through window exposure with the sun on the skin.

You need a new dermatologist.

  •  
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kannot said:

but a car's side and rear windows allow UVA to penetrate

Which I already said on the first page but only 75% gets  thru 25% is  blocked and a clear  film will stop all. My post at the top of the page mixed up uva /b but was  unable to edit after Id done it.............heres  what it should have said below

 

"Professor  needs  to explain clear glass WILL stop about 25% UVB (should be UVA) and   virtually all UVA (should be UVB) he doesnt say that though in your article, so clear  glass has already stopped 25% uvb (should be UVA) before you add any plastic film, they also dont explain why front windshields stop uva/b 100%  virtually which I did earlier."

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I wouldn't know, but to say clear windows stops just as much uv without evidence to support it, says you have no idea what your talking about

I never  said  that at  all I said clear GLASS stops 25% (min) of UVA ie side  windows, some even say up to 37% which it  does....go re-google you do know theres  uv a b c ? your  google article  does not mention that clear glass  actually stops 25% of uvA the article is  crap as it says "alllow uva to penetrate" doesnt mention HOW  MUCH penetrates   which could be a s little  as 63-75%

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, kannot said:

Whatever u say pal except  go say it to the person who actually  made yer dermatologist  comment not me

Just Weird

  • Titanium Member
  •  
  • Just Weird
  • Advanced Members
  •  3,376
  • 5,584 posts
  15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

 

 

The tint was darker up top and lighter throughout, that is until the sun would burn my skin, cancers etc etc so since the darker tint, no issues, as my Dermatologist said, most skin cancers are caused through window exposure with the sun on the skin.

You need a new dermatologist.

  •  

My apologies, your 110% correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on guys - the OP has got to be winding us up . . .

 

Firstly he significantly reduces the visibility through the windscreen - then wants to compensate by introducing stronger headlights . . .

 

Then he introduces cancer caused by sunlight filtered through glass . . . 

 

This may be the sort of nonsense that the natives believe but it appears some of you have been here too long and are going soft in the head !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...