When You Fly, What Class Of Service Do You Use?

britmaveric

Airline Class of Service  

376 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Economy or economy plus,

But upgrade whenever I have the milage

The answers here will be quite predictable, bosses ,first,employees business ,and us, PEASANT CLASS !. i only fly business if given /awarded it,. normally its into peasant class, think what im going to spend the money i didnt waste on business class , and take my industrial strength sleeping pill and awake at LOS with extra money for fun !

Edited by mikethevigoman

Here's a few tips.

I highly recommend a book called "Air Babylon" by Imogen Edward-Jones. Its an expose on the airline industry.

Cash for upgrades is a popular one. Slip a couple of fifty pound notes in your passport when checking in. Check-in staff can earn as little as 11k GBP per year so they are always on the look out for little bonuses that pop up now and then.

Quote from book.....Depending on what computer system the airline uses, check-in staff can talk to one another via simultaneous email. So when check-in staff seem to be taking an age to type your rather short name into the computer, they are probably sending one of their mates a message - usually about you or occasionally about someone else in the queue behind you. 'Have you seen the nose/tits/arse/gut on her? - to the more malicious - 'I've got a right old c..t here; can anyone suggest a screaming child for him to sit next to? They can also add comments or messages to your ticket that flash up as you arrive at the departure gate. So the cabin crew are warned in advance that a '<deleted>' is approaching or a 'difficult b..tard' is on his way and that you should be treated accordingly.

So you see, it really does pay to be pleasant at check-in.

You could also try writing 'SUG' (suitable for upgrade) on your ticket after you have checked in.This was told to me by a pilot friend of mine. However, you take the risk of the girls knowing on the departure gate, that this has been added by yourself, and subsequently will not show on their computer screen at the gate.

Me, I'm a frequent flyer with Etihad and usually fly economy. Cant justify paying an extra 1k to fly business. Although have flown business a couple of times with the miles I have earned.

Guemlum

My wife and I almost always fly First Class and we fly very often. I enjoy being able to have the luxury of getting a good sleep on the international configured First Class flat bed seats with personal TV screens and lots of legroom.

I wish I could tell everyone that I fly First because I am very rich and have nothing better to do with my money but the fact is that it is because I spent 35 years flying in "cockpit class" (now retired airline pilot), and one of the perks is that I am now able to fly anywhere virtually free. I must admit, however, that even when I was flying 'cockpit class', it was nice on long international flights as we carried a relief crew so got to sleep about half the trip in either a bunk bed in the cockpit or a curtained off seat in First Class. "Life is Good" :D

ps... Whether you go economy class or decide to spend ten times more money to go First Class, it really doesn't matter as everyone gets to the destination safely at the same time which is really what it is all about . :o

ps... Whether you go economy class or decide to spend ten times more money to go First Class, it really doesn't matter as everyone gets to the destination safely at the same time which is really what it is all about . :o

Exactly!!

For me I fly in the highest class of seat available on the airline Iam flying with.I travel very frequently and therefore like plenty space and comfort.I mainly fly Emirates so first class with them.The odd times I've gone KLM its business as they have no first,same like certain Etihad routings.Another reason I fly First Class.................................................is because I can.

If I had to go long haul in Economy I'd chose to not travel.

Like many who travel on business, I fly business class when the client is paying, ecconomy when I am paying.

Economy for flights under 10 hours. All have been SYD-BKK or NRT-BKK, not a big deal. When enough points are accrued, biz once in a while.

Over 10 hours would mean the company is sending me to somewhere and they pay for the biz.

On my own, if I have to travel more than 10 hrs, biz out of my own pocket.

I'm still riding on my ex-IBM discount for QF biz class lounges (Qantas Club), paying myself 150US$ for a 2 years membership.

Business class always now from New Zealand to Bangkok. As others have said when older and you can afford it why not treat yourself. I used to think wow what a waste of money till I got more than I need. It is a case of doing with out before to get the rewards later in life. :o

• 2 weeks later...
It is psychologically frustrating:

Own cash (earned not inherited) do I spend an extra 500 GBP for BKK-MAN-BKK business class.

Benefits: lounge access and legroom, a glass of champagne.

Or: Suffer economy (14 hours X 2): Then........

500 GBP spending money, upon landing for the first week back in Pattaya?

Decisions,decisions,,, me too,noisy class unless upgraded,( unlikely on thai. ) sleeping assistant straight after the meal and away with the fairies til im tapped on the shoulder for breakfast,. im finacially much off and ive just dreampt what im going to spend it on ! Edited by Wellyoudidask

Robert Strauss -- a Texas lawyer, confidant to Lyndon Johnson, and one time ambassador to all sorts of places -- was once grilled at a press conference by a particularly aggressive reporter on his insistence on flying first class. This famous exchange resulted:

Q: Mr. Ambassador, why is it you always fly first class?

A: Because, son, they ain't invented nothing better yet.

Amen, Brother Strauss.

Economy class normally for me, although my last long trip was in business class, paid for I might add. I've been upgraded once or twice and I got upgrades a few times using frequent flyer miles. I am also a big fan of low cost carriers, for the simple fact that it enables me to fly for very affordable fares.

Economy, ya rich gits....! :o

6'2"s not good for it either, those beds mentioned above sound like bleedin heaven to me, lord knows what Shirley's like in economy, she's 6'8".

By this time next year I'll be a millionaire anyway so...... :D

redrus

Millionaire in Baht? Short flights. :D :D

I fly economy, as long as I get there it doesnt matter. The more I spend on the flight the less I can spend on beer!

Also, if the plane crashes those in first class will die first :D

..and fast :o , while the economy ppl will usual suffer and die a slower death :D , now with would you pick?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've got into the habit of flying business class. It won't be forever and I'm not looking forward to having to step down to economy again. Fortunately TG is relatively cheap and they give some perks to frequent flyers.

Sorry, I just realised I revived a 2yo thread!

Edited by tw25rw

I've got into the habit of flying business class. It won't be forever and I'm not looking forward to having to step down to economy again. Fortunately TG is relatively cheap and they give some perks to frequent flyers.

Sorry, I just realised I revived a 2yo thread!

But an interesting one!

At my time of life...59...I'm glad I can finally afford to fly business (actually have since reaching the plateau of 50). For me it's a combination of comfort and health concerns...particularly when flying long distances (e.g. coast to coast in the states). And to Thailand I fly nonstop now...17 versus 24+ hours.

Oddly enough, I prefer coach food! I guess at heart I'm a simple man (no jokes, please!).

At my time of life...59...I'm glad I can finally afford to fly business (actually have since reaching the plateau of 50). For me it's a combination of comfort and health concerns...particularly when flying long distances (e.g. coast to coast in the states). And to Thailand I fly nonstop now...17 versus 24+ hours.

Oddly enough, I prefer coach food! I guess at heart I'm a simple man (no jokes, please!).

I agree about the food! I'd rather just have a tray put in front of me than the endless courses. and I never eat the cheese/fruit. If there was a class with legroom/flat seat, but otherwise same as coach, I'd fly it.

Airlines giving upgrades works like this

If a flight is overbooked in economy and everyone shows for the flight there will not be enough seats,thats simple,if business class is NOT full then FF people,starting with the highest level of FF,will be upgraded to business class to make room for the extra people.High level FF will not be overlooked for a first time flyer so to speak.Upgrades are NOT given unless economy is full.Anyone that says different is either lying or simply got upgraded by being related/friends with the air crew. Why would upgrades be given for no reason ?

You can talk as nice as you like to check in staff that will not do anything to get you upgraded unless the flight has to upgrade due to over booking.Very simple,and very true.

EPG.

As for the quality of the on board scran the business class stuff has been cooked at the same time and kept hot for the same time as the econocrap :o . If I want quality food I engage the services of a restaurant not an airline.

I had the luxury of being upgraded to first on a Etihad flight and can assure you that the food I got was way superior not just to the local food stalls but also to most 5 star Bangkok hotels, not to mention the econocrap Thai Airways food (do you want chicken with rice or rice with chicken sir?)

Have you ever tasted Chassagne Montracet premier cru? Aroi maak.

I travel ecomomy from Bangkok to Libya every five weeks. I use the same airline, Emirates, and am a Gold card holder. I have had one upgrade to Business class in two and a half years. Thats 1 in 60 flights.

Has anyone got any tips on how to get an upgrade without using airmiles or paying?

When I used to fly into Saudi I would take only hand luggage and try to be the very last person to check in with the minimum time left to do so.

Quite often I was bumped up to Business class as all the Economy seats were allocated.

Of course you always run the risk of being bumped which is why I never did it flying OUT of Saudi, but having to stay longer in Bangkok was worth the risk!

It makes me laugh when people on here say I fly economy but fly business when the company pays. Who do you think you are kidding.? You do not work for a company with links into Thailand so just be honest.

If your wife was a bar girl then admit it.

If you fly economy, just admit that too, there is no shame in it as 90% of us fly economy anyway.

All thes business trip Cr_ap is really annoying me!!!!

Be honest to yourself and other please.