Election Rally Fears Counterprotest To Instigate Violence

webfact

Election Rally Fears Counterprotest To Instigate Violence

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B8%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%A1%E0%

Pro-democracy protesters raise the anti-junta three finger salute on May 22, 2018.

BANGKOK — An organizer of tomorrow’s pro-democracy rally said Friday he fears clashes could break out after a counterprotest was announced for the same site.

The Democracy Monument protest to demand timely elections will be met by another gathering by a heretofore unknown group calling itself “Unity Before Election.” One of the leading pro-election activists has withdrawn from the rally, citing fears of violence, but campaigner Sirawith Seritiwat said the event would go ahead.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2019/01/18/election-rally-fears-counterprotest-to-instigate-violence/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-18

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Democracy Monument protest to demand timely elections will be met by another gathering by a heretofore unknown group calling itself “Unity Before Election.”

“Unity Before Election.” With a name like that we can be as good as sure that Prayuth has had his army boys out, recruiting, by their preferred 'enveloping' method, these victims of circumstance who, should they be recognised by their pro-Democracy compatriots - will be 'marked' for life . . . A Prayuth ploy, through and through.

53 minutes ago, webfact said:

unknown group calling itself “Unity Before Election.”

Any chance of this "unknown" group having an allegiance to or being funded by the elitist and filthy rich Palang Pracharath Party who would be desperate to see the junta's reign continue? 
Seems like the conditions are right and the timing is right for the perfect scenario to allow the junta to have a ready made excuse for a long term deferral of an election. I am sure Blind Freddy could see this coming. 

4 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Any chance of this "unknown" group having an allegiance to or being funded by the elitist and filthy rich Palang Pracharath Party who would be desperate to see the junta's reign continue? 
Seems like the conditions are right and the timing is right for the perfect scenario to allow the junta to have a ready made excuse for a long term deferral of an election. I am sure Blind Freddy could see this coming. 

More likely this (from the linked article) is their origin:

“From what I’ve heard, they are set up by the Internal Security Operation Command,” the activist said. “They are trying to draft people from the ranks to harass us.”

ISOC are by no means new to such activity.

If so there definitely will be "harassment", as the police will do absolutely nothing to prevent/stop it.

I will be looking for a live newsfeed at 3pm on Saturday.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:36 AM, rkidlad said:

If the junta haven't achieved unity in 4.5+ years, they aren't going to achieve it in the next 4 months.

Elections already. 

Unity is not the goal. Unrest is the goal so the junta can claim the right to cancel elections for another 4.5 years.

All the while the junta continue 'governing' and passing laws as though nothing is going on. They can't even be bothered to pretend they are on the hustings and in caretaker mode. Perhaps nothing is going on?

These guys aren't going anywhere. Now they are in 'legal' and 'technical' 'difficulties' to carry on and on. Add to that an army chief who seems keen to wash his hands in blood and back to square one we go...

On 1/18/2019 at 3:05 PM, KhunProletariat said:

A revolution is needed to thoroughly excavate all the rotten eggs from the box. A clean sweep is required, by any and all means necessary.

KP.

Sure, worked out great for Cambodia with the Khmer Rouge.  

Sorry, as much as I want to agree completely with you...a clean sweep alone is not enough if it leaves a power vacuum, mob rule susceptible to lowest common denominator populism, and absolutely no people with practical experience in the day-to-day of running a country top to bottom.

Not enough to destroy without having specific, realistic plans to build it back up again.

That said, I understand 100% how you feel.

6 minutes ago, ramr said:

Sure, worked out great for Cambodia with the Khmer Rouge.  

Sorry, as much as I want to agree completely with you...a clean sweep alone is not enough if it leaves a power vacuum, mob rule susceptible to lowest common denominator populism, and absolutely no people with practical experience in the day-to-day of running a country top to bottom.

Not enough to destroy without having specific, realistic plans to build it back up again.

That said, I understand 100% how you feel.

So go back to the messy democracy it was. The Civil Service remain in place. The other state institutions remain in place. There are no overnight solutions, but scumbag politicians beat a scumbag word we are not allowed to use on Thaivisa. At least they can be booted out. This is better than nothing.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, Cadbury said:

The protest consisted of Pansuwarn Na Kaeow, a former spokesman for Suthep's PDRC (Shut down Bangkok), as well as other former members of PDRC. They were joined by Jaturan Boonbenjarat, a member of Suthep's present ACT  party ( Action Coalition for Thailand) party.

Not surprising.

11 hours ago, baboon said:

So go back to the messy democracy it was. The Civil Service remain in place. The other state institutions remain in place. There are no overnight solutions, but scumbag politicians beat a scumbag word we are not allowed to use on Thaivisa. At least they can be booted out. This is better than nothing.

It's a difficult debate to have without agreeing on a more specific definition of what "clean sweep" means and by which methods it's achieved, so thank you for offering that somewhat more detailed scenario for discussion.

Scumbag politicians seem to be a manifestation/expression of greater widespread cultural attitudes in Thailand... cut as many heads off the hydra as you want, it's still fiendishly difficult to kill.  That said, I agree it would at least be nice to see some incremental changes for the better.  

Also, seems to me anyone wielding political power IS de facto a politician, regardless of whether they are military or politician or whatever in name.

Archived