British expat says error on Thai Airways website resulted in 80,000THB of extra charges, then airline refused to refund

webfact

Just now, Orton Rd said:

Stopped using Thai years ago due to poor customer service, or rather non existing service.

Same here. Almost refused me boarding, as I didn't have a pre-arranged visa, overcharged me for extra luggage, the flight was delayed, and staff not even damaged my suitcase, but even stole from my bag's side-pocket! All in 1 flight!! Thai Airways no more!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Much prefer SG airlines..."

What? How would you know?  To quote your own comment, "I don't think I've ever flown Thai"!

News like this, acquaintances that used to fly Thai and one friend who used to work for them are enough to deter me, let somchais fly their own contraptions. SG airlines has been chosen as top airline year after year and my experiences with them have been very good.

I think the amount charged is correct.

Unless something has changed which I have missed, I recall that Excess Baggage Rates are charged at 1.5 percent of the full Y IATA fare for the sector of travel.

Therefore GBP6500 x 1.5% = GBP97.5/KG x 20KG = GBP1950.00

But never let the facts get in the way of another rabid pack attack on THAI Airways on Thaivisa.

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Stopped using Thai years ago due to poor customer service, or rather non existing service.

Me too. I can't believe a decade later and it still hasn't improved (apparently).

This is an interesting bit of Thainess.

Their own website states very clearly that prices are quoted for pre-purchased excess baggage in THB only.

https://www.thaiairways.com/en_MM/news/news_announcement/news_detail/Extra_Baggage_Allowance.page?

But the page that shows the actual cost is different:

http://www.baggage-allowance.info/thai-airways-baggage-allowance

That page indicates that excess baggage for internal flights is billed at between 55 and 95 THB per kg, but that the charge for intercontinental flights to/from Europe is 70 USD per kg. 70USD per kg would make them the most expensive airline in the world for such excess baggage charges, as far as I know. Many airlines just charge a set fee of up to around USD120 for one bag up to 23kg.

1 hour ago, brucefarang said:

I just had a £300 run-in with Travel Genio  on the Jetcost website. I noticed my wifes name was spelt incorrectly-one letter- on the email confirming booking. I rang -crazy system -cut me off before I could get through after 6 mins. Tried the complaints letters -got my letter back -Travel Genio at the top  but no communication (Twice) eventually I got through and was told to phone the Airway (Jetair) Did so -told me I was booked through Etihad and I would have to talk to them -and in any case they (Jetair would not allow anyone on board without the totally correct spelling.Tried to get back to Travel Genio -eventually received an email saying airway would not let my wife fly. So I then tried to get in touch (another three days of on/off trying) finally got a webchat -who confirmed my wife couldn't fly .I asked how much to cancel-170euros -I then  asked why they did not tell me this in the first place -no reply-So I cancelled both tickets and booked with KLM.

They were totally disinterested and didn't even feel the need to inform me of any options I might have! Advise all to give Travel Genio a miss!

Sorry to go on but...….

Well, they evidently believe they can survive on the 80% of customers they don't piss off. The 20% can (as I said) go and get stuffed, especially if they are foreigners.

Oh boy, a wake-up call's-a-coming. and it's going to be a biggie. All you and I need to do is wait for the wheel to turn and for it all to come full-circle. As it will, 'tis the nature of things.

I am a travel agent and I used to work a lot with TG during the 80s and the 90s. On that time, I also was a gold member on TG as I travel from Europe to Thailand 4 to 5 times a year for more than 30 years and it really was such a pleasant company ( as smooth as silk ) but since the begining of the 2000, they disapointed me so much in so many ways, that I never worked or travelled with them anymore, using any other airlines instead, mostly Emirates or Etihad. Now, even for domestic flights I try as much as I can to avoid flying TG... Such a bad service !

47 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Unless something has changed which I have missed, I recall that Excess Baggage Rates are charged at 1.5 percent of the full Y IATA fare for the sector of travel.

But never let the facts get in the way of another rabid pack attack on THAI Airways on Thaivisa.

Yep, absolutely correct, as unsavoury as it is to most people. But them's the rules at every airline I've ever dealt with. I have a hunch it's an IATA standard, but of course the airline has the final say and many are flexible.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

Where do you get 6500 GBP from?, the OP wrote that his airticket cost 544GBP.

11 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

Where do you get 6500 GBP from?, the OP wrote that his airticket cost 544GBP.

TACT. The Air Cargo Tariff rules.

https://www.iata.org/publications/tact/Pages/index.aspx

The ticket has nothing to do with it.

My Wifes going BKK/CM one way, and back on overnight Train after the meeting. Why i asked ?.. Not sure how much the Company will want bringing back, to much fuss over a few kilos, cant be fussed with them these days. 3 times a year for 10 years shes been done so. Left it at  that .!.So its not just You buggers who hit me with those dam Parachute things.

If you buy a cheap economy ticket and want take an extra bag the per KG charges if the extra bag goes over your luggage allowance in KG which includes the case are a complete rip off, it's always been this way.

If you take 2 bags which come to your regular luggage allowance then there is a fixed fee, more than that then it's the per KG cost as well as the handling charge for the extra bag. This is the way I always understood it.

One extra bag can cost way more than the return flight and that's just one way.

I've never paid excess baggage. You're better off mailing it.

Also booking a business class seat often includes plenty of additional luggage allowance when compared to a cheap economy ticket - normally double.

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

Even if this is true, it is not an excuse for the dismissive attitudes of TG staff, as reported in the OP. 

Corresponds perfectly well to the rest of the country. 30 years ago Thai Airways was a pristine perfect aviation product and certainly the national pride of Thailand. 

It followed the rest of the country and went down free fall straight into the abyss of a septic tank! Flew more than 150'000 miles yearly in the past, have not boarded a TG flight in years after cancellation, rerouting, no refunding, no crediting of air miles - the list is endless, my patience was not. 

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Go back to the CC company and explain it to them. They should be able to sort it out.

8 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

The credit card company will refund it and fine thai airlines

“I logged-in as was quoted an additional 975.90 Thai Baht (around £25) each way for one 20kg extra bag – that sounded reasonable enough, so I purchased on my debit card”. - Some people above need a new set of glasses because their eyes are seriously failing them. He wrote he has a DEBIT card!

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

That’s the case for every airline on the planet ! 

Exception to the rule must be Philippine Airlines. Booked a ticket with them recently for the same price as my regular travel agent. Said agent always undercuts Thai Airways and Cathay Pacific by a considerable amount, even gets me a free upgrade on Cathay sometimes. 

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

These sort of responses offered with false authority really irk me, because they offer a solution that isn't necessarily there.

Why? The obligation is on the card holder to show that the  transaction is wrong. The CC will not "sort" it out.

No they won't. TG generates  significant transactions for the banking groups and cc pools. Do you really believe that they can just "fine" a state controlled multi national? Seriously? If a CC tries to strongarm the Thai state it will find itself at a disadvantage, quickly. The obligation is on the customer to prove the error and so far there is no written evidence, just  verbal allegations of wrongdoing.

The amount charged is evidence of wrongdoing. Any moron could see that. And CC companies will block payment and investigate.

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Well good job by Barclay’s for refunding the expat.
But good luck to them trying to get the money back from Thai Airways !!

Barclays has always offered insurance on cc purchases. The transaction is pending so Thai Air havnt received the funds, in the event funds were sent a simple request and they will be returned.

8 hours ago, Cadbury said:

This airline is surely run by incompetents, what else would explain why they are losing millions of dollars a month and having to be propped up by an equally incompetent government. 

The charging of this extortionate amount and the refusal to refund is tantamount to theft which is sometimes seen an acceptable practice within some Thai commercial and government agencies. 

Quite honestly, I haven't seen 'tantamount' used in a really provocative and attention-grabbing way in years.

I guess I need to wait a bit longer.

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

Go back to the CC company and explain it to them. They should be able to sort it out.

The post says it has already been sorted out and the bank refunded his money. It is always better to use a credit card and then a debit card. US debit cards have the same protection of credit card against fraudulent charges. It must be the same for UK debit card also. However, for debit card, they will take your cash first and it can take up to two weeks for the refund available to you in your account. 

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The obligation is on the customer to prove the error and so far there is no written evidence, just  verbal allegations of wrongdoing.

In the US, a customer obligation is only $50 for fraudulent charges. Banks always honor 100% for online transaction. You don't need to prove any thing. Only sign a document that you're telling the truth. 

Archived