Dutch tourist claims he was abused and had drugs planted on him by Pattaya police

webfact

Dutch tourist claims he was abused and had drugs planted on him by Pattaya police

50722814_2305174886182499_5943876971183210496_n.jpg

Picture: Ruk Siam News

A Dutch tourist has accused police in Pattaya of planting drugs on him.

Pieter Van Weele, 48, told reporters how he was returning from a night out in Pattaya when he was stopped in the early hours of the morning by two police on motorbikes.

When he was on his way back to his hotel, Mr Weele said that he had taken a motorbike taxi and stopped at a local store where he was stopped by the two plain clothes officers.

Mr Weele alleges that the officers confiscated his bag and phone and quick search suddenly produced a small bag containing white powder.

The officers then arrested Mr Weele and took him to the police station.

Mr Weele, who admitted to be drunk, denied the bag containing the white powder was his and told the officers he had no idea where it came from.

Mr Weele, then claims that he was taken to a private room at the police station where he was pushed kneed in his testicles.

Mr Weele also claimed that volunteered a sample of urine which was found not to contain drugs.

The Dutchman then alleged that a “farang French guy” who works for Pattaya police told him any charges would be dropped if he paid him 100,000 baht.

Mr Weele claims that he went back to his hotel room with the “farang French guy” where he gave him 40,000 baht in cash before returning to the police station to collect his phone. He also said that officers kept his ATM card that was stored in the case of his phone.

Senior officers are said to be investigating the claims of Mr Weele.

The Dutchman spoke to local reporters after leaving the police station.

Source: Ruk Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-01-21

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way he can have his case heard is to take this story all the way to the top...the absolute top...to the ultimate, unchallenged, unquestioned legal and moral authority of Thailand and the Thai people. He needs to go to Facebook.

41 minutes ago, webfact said:

Shouldn't it read: Senior officers of the same police station are investigating?

I wonder how the TAT will spin this story. Good idea to turn to the media.

This is not a stretch. Always remember that the RTP are franchisees. Not law enforcement. So, always beware. If it were me, I would start, or ask someone close, to start a major Facebook and Twitter campaign. Embarrassment and international humiliation seems to be quite an effective tool here, as this administration is scared to death of devastating the tourism cash cow, even more than they have destroyed it already. The police would not be held accountable, but you would walk free, without having to pay the ransom. 

I believe the tourist in this case.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Nothing will happen with this 'investigation' unless Mr Weele goes viral on Facebook with this.

After tourists arrival is reduced, the old trick is back in the business. They will make sure Mr.Pieter will not leave the country for speaking up the truth. When police stops,you always ask for his own ID, and ask him to take you to the higher official at police station for any check. That's the only solution to be escaping from the police scam.

Never allow them to touch your bag. Goodluck Pattaya Police!

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Dutchman then alleged that a “farang French guy” who works for Pattaya police told him any charges would be dropped if he paid him 100,000 baht.

Unless the Dutchman happens to be an avid ThaiVisa reader, it seems more than just coincidental that he happened to claim a "French guy" working for Pattaya police was trying to extort him on behalf of the local plod... 

Where have we heard that same exact account before and how many times tied to one particular French guy who liked to claim his DSI and Thai police affiliations, but who who supposedly later was disowned by the local police there... But then again, maybe that was just temporary until the past heat died down.

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Perhaps he tested positive because he hadn't yet taken the drugs that they found on him!  

A youngish, drunk, Dutchman spending his evening getting ratted in Soi Bukhao involved in drugs?  Highly unlikely!

So your saying Dutch are druggies.. that is just weird ????

And he tested negative.. had it been positive im not sure there would be story.

I find it pity and not fair that some bad tourists always accuse Thai police that they did bad things. 

I suggest for Big joke to install camera's in every police station, and that every interrogation is recorded.  So police can prove minute by minute they did everything in the right way !

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

So your saying Dutch are druggies.. 

And he tested negative.. had it been positive im not sure there would be story.

"So your saying Dutch are druggies.."

No, I definitely did not say that.  And I've corrected my typo, I meant "negative", obviously.

8 minutes ago, Incobart said:

I suggest for Big joke to install camera's in every police station, and that every interrogation is recorded. 

The Thai police supposedly recently adopted a regulation that all interrogations ARE supposed to be video recorded... But I doubt most/many/any of the stations have actually implemented that yet.

And even if they do in the future, I'm sure the Thai police will find their own ways to transact their business in ways/places that don't manage to get captured on video.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm sure the Thai police will find their own ways to transact their business in ways/places that don't manage to get captured on video.

Then there is a gap in time, which make the police suspicious and the tourist or Thai the advantage of to be right. Police control or Big Joke are not stupid also, and can happen only ones for a policeman. Another option (but expensive) is like in my country, every police wear a bodycam. ????

3 minutes ago, Incobart said:

Then there is a gap in time, which make the police suspicious and the tourist or Thai the advantage of to be right. Police control or Big Joke are not stupid also, and can happen only ones for a policeman. Another option (but expensive) is like in my country, every police wear a bodycam. ????

Just like every time someone dies in police or DSI custody here, in the aftermath, "Oooppsss... video camera not working at that time...."

36 minutes ago, tifino said:

he's not going to go down for the supposed drugs.

but putting it up on social media, is whole lot different kettle of fish that are going to end up smelly

Agreed, but on the face of it, the poor bastard had to pay 40,000b to to avoid prison time for doing absolutely nothing wrong. 

I'd do the same if it were me, though I'd probably leave the country first. 

23 minutes ago, Incobart said:

I find it pity and not fair that some bad tourists always accuse Thai police that they did bad things. 

LOL. Can't work out if you're stupid or just trolling - the guy tested negative for narcotics in the drug test. Having been on the wrong side of a fraudulent and baseless drug search in a tourist area myself, where I'm absolutely certain a drop bag would have been put in my possession had I not started filming the cop (which caused me all manner of problems in itself), I can conclusively say that this stuff actually happens, and probably more frequently than you'd believe. 

20 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"So your saying Dutch are druggies.."

No, I definitely did not say that.  And I've corrected my typo, I meant "negative", obviously.

I was teasing.. im Dutch, the Dutch seem to have a name about drugs (deserved or otherwise) So I was just pulling your leg.

I think the guy could be speaking the truth, or he is stupid going up against the cops.

Archived