Thai immigration to show leniency to foreigners applying for retirement & marriage extensions

9 hours ago, SPREX said:

Already posted on the forum over 2 weeks ago.

The 2nd one is showing the wrong police order. Police order 138/2557 was amended not 327/2557.

16 hours ago, farangx said:

Only 100 baht/mo per foreigner Jack, that will attract many sick farangs to this country.

Most countries already have universal health coverage except America. And after 65, America also has universal health coverage. 

40 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Most countries already have universal health coverage //

In your dreams only...

40 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

... except America. //

and tens other countries...

Probably the big majority of countries doesn't have one.

5 hours ago, JLCrab said:
13 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I never advocate any change in policy

The full quote was:

I never advocate any change in policy which would lower the standard of living of Thais - or, in this case, the quality/stability of their health-care system.  What I proposed is a way to prevent that.

5 hours ago, JLCrab said:

Where do you advocate any change in policy? Do the IMM or MoFA folks ever request of you policy recommendation documents or proposals?

This is a Discussion Forum.  If you don't like discussing these things, or think what I contribute is useless, I think there is a function to allow you to block seeing my posts.

Edited by JackThompson

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I believe in the case I was heard of a substantial cash deposit up front was required, and when I had to get some treatment, similarly a chunk was taken from my CC before we could proceed. If a person can pony that up, perhaps they will go ahead and treat and allow a bill to be run up, You will get a daily visit from accounts dept at your bedside though!

I think the only people who end up with a large unpaid bill, are the uninsured who get immediate treatment for injuries or something like a heart-attack - treatment to keep them alive at that moment. 

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Most countries already have universal health coverage except America. And after 65, America also has universal health coverage. 

From the Thai perspective - they may have to get a dying person stabilized.  This is the only care which could go unpaid, so is the only potential "foreigner liability" which needs to be addressed, to put an end to the notion we are somehow a burden.

But medicare is not full-coverage.  "Medicaid" also is needed for many - especially in their final years.  But, that is only available after the system has clawed-back and auctioned-off anything of value one managed to save during their lifetime.  Best to put as much as possible in one's child's names, before illness strikes and the "claw-back" process begins.

55 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This is a Discussion Forum.  If you don't like discussing these things, or think what I contribute is useless, I think there is a function to allow you to block seeing my posts.

Nah -- it amuses me to read your stuff when you write about everything so authoritatively when I have yet to figure out from where springs that authority.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 3:32 PM, Vacuum said:

This is all good, but what about the meaningless 90 day reports?

Should they scrap all regulations and have an open door to these lovely foreigners who are keeping the Thai economy afloat?

On 1/24/2019 at 6:17 AM, ukrules said:

I have a feeling that there's going to be many changes coming.

There's an election in March, the supposed result of the election will follow sometime later in the year.

And added to the mix in the case of us Brits, of course, is That Event back in our home country, which has been scheduled for 5 days after the election here!

Edited by OJAS

3 minutes ago, ravip said:

Should they scrap all regulations and have an open door to these lovely foreigners who are keeping the Thai economy afloat?

No, my point was that if you haven't changed your address since the last report, what is there to report?

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

The full quote was:

Blocking a member is a very weak gesture IMHO.

A discussion is amongst many people, hence you gotta expect some flack quite often! Instead of blocking members, I would rather bury my head in the sand - instead of participating in a forum/discussion!

Just my 2¢ 

50 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

Thank you for being so leinient in spending OUR money in your country , you make it so hard for us to stay here i think i will go elsewhere 

Be considerate, please don't slam the door behind you.

11 minutes ago, ravip said:

Blocking a member is a very weak gesture IMHO.

A discussion is amongst many people, hence you gotta expect some flack quite often!

I don't block nobody. But he and a few others make me think of the Mark Twain line (whether Mark Twain actually said it or not):

I didn't have time to write to you a one page letter so I wrote to you a two page letter.

• Haha 1

Was this always the case?  I thought that proof of income meant that you had to show proof of income from an outside source.  Did you always have to bank it in Thailand? My income from US Social Security is sent to my US Account. The brokerage/bank has no way, other than I requesting a transfer, to bank it in Thailand. Then how do I pay my US bills with my money here. I don't need 66,666 baht per month to live here but do have US responsibilities to pay from my income. SO if I transfer it on one day, get it entered into my passbook I can send it back to the US the next day, yes! Or will they want to see daily records for one year indicating that the money stays in Thailand.  

22 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

After it is in your bank account you can do whatever you want to with it.

That may be so but by using the words "Evidence showing pension" they might want to be reassured that there actually IS a source of monthly income and not vaporware.

Just now, JLCrab said:

That may be so but by using the words "Evidence showing pension" they might want to be reassured that there actually IS a source of monthly income and not vaporware.

I really wouldn't worry much about that if you are importing funds monthly. That is more of an issue with embassy letters where they might in some cases ask for backup evidence of the income claims made for the embassy letter.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I really wouldn't worry much about that if you are importing funds monthly.

Then again they might suspect with some that they are just re-circulating the same money and do not actually have 65K+ baht income as many on here have said that is exactly what they intend to do.

4 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Then again they might suspect with some that they are just re-circulating the same money and do not actually have 65K+ baht income as many on here have said that is exactly what they intend to do.

Just bring proof if you're concerned. It's hard to predict every possible enforcement scenario. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, JLCrab said:

Well that's the rub ain't it if you don't have it.

I think they want you to spend your money here. That's your purpose. Frozen level accounts that need to be above a certain level are generally about bank account method applications ONLY during the limited seasoning months. 

Wouldnt one just transfer money out and then back in again? Yes, you get slogged on the exchange rate and fees, but aren't they only asking the monthly deposits to be shown? I'm sure this has been mentioned. I'm not on this visa so it doesn't affect me personally. Just interested. 

Just now, DavisH said:

Wouldnt one just transfer money out and then back in again? Yes, you get slogged on the exchange rate and fees, but aren't they only asking the monthly deposits to be shown? I'm sure this has been mentioned. I'm not on this visa so it doesn't affect me personally. Just interested. 

Nobody can say with any certainty how Immigration will view that at your next extension when they look at your bank book and see the money going in a continual loop.

Just now, Lovethailandelite said:

Nobody can say with any certainty how Immigration will view that at your next extension when they look at your bank book and see the money going in a continual loop.

That would look suspicious for sure, but I was talking about normal spending. 

Just now, MickeyR said:

Do they realize that because of the devaluation of the pound to the baht, 19,000 baht per month Uk Government pension wont meet the said requirements.

Yes, that is why the Thai embassy, London has increased the financial requirements slightly now requiring £1500 per month from £1400 per month. Not a lot really considering the plus 20% devaluation of sterling too the baht over the last 2 years.

The verbiage in the current Police Order only speaks of " ... criteria and conditions for consideration of an alien's application for a temporary stay in the Kingdom of Thailand."

So even if you supply all the listed 'evidence', the IMM Officer is not thereby obligated to issue an extension but only to consider doing so. So basically they can ask to see any 'Evidence of pension' appropriate prior to issuing any extension.

Edited by JLCrab