Rainwater

bubbaba

Gary A

qoute

The big jars you see hold about 1,000 liters and cost about 600 baht each. They are cheap enough but are unsightly and take up a lot of room.

Gary

The jars that we use up here in central region are (according to the makers) 2,000 litres but only about 1,800 litres are avaiable for use as the 1/2 inch output is about 6 inches above the drain.

Last year they cost me a total of 800 baht, 700 for the tank and 100 baht for the concrete lid whch does not blow away in the strong wind.

My tanks are behind the small house on a slab 8 x 10 metres.

Bill, the jars I have are about 60 inches in diameter and about 50 inches high. I'm not smart enough to calculate the volume but if it were a sphere the volume would be considerably more than a thousand liters. My wife is the one who calls them 1,000 liter jars. :o

Gary, they are probably the same as mine but the guy who delivered them told me that they were 2,000 litres, and I believed him.

Crossy Posted Today, 2007-02-27 11:41:22

QUOTE(Gary A @ 2007-02-27 12:03:00) *

Bill, the jars I have are about 60 inches in diameter and about 50 inches high. I'm not smart enough to calculate the volume but if it were a sphere the volume would be considerably more than a thousand liters. My wife is the one who calls them 1,000 liter jars. ermm.gif

If you assume a sphere of 50" (127 cm) diameter the volume = 4/3 pi r^3 = 4/3 * pi * (127/2)^3 = 1072530 cubic centimetres = 1072L

Hence 1000L jars smile.gif

Thanks Crossy

I am like bubbaba and I left school in 1959.

bubbaba Posted Today, 2007-02-27 18:11:54

I need to ask a question. I have forgotten how to do algebra, geometry, etc. Been over 50 years since I went to school and never used math in my work. So, I lost it long time ago.

If you have cement circles, like they use to make septic tanks here in Thailand. But these are two meters dia. by .5 meter height. What is the cubic volume of water that this cement piece would hold providing it had a bottom?

That is an easy one as I found the answer on the internet.

3.145 etc or pi times the radius squared times the height.

I have attached a small file which I found on the internet last year which may help.

Please provide me with an answer and if you are willing, please explain how to figure volume for circles, cylinders, what ever you call them. I can only figure volume on squares and rectangles.

areas_and_volumes_01.xls

Khonwan

no digital camera (where are you billd776?).

Home alone, on a diet,no alcohol or fizzy drinks, no fun and soooooooo bored.

Also no camera as my wife is off inPetchbun province somewhere on a "family"thing.

I will call you tomorrow.