For better or worse? Expats think Thailand is going down the pan, poll

webfact

5 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Are you for real do you sincerely think that I'm going to hunt the world for some old newspapers to make your point!

Not really, I anticipated you would be much more comfortable not knowing what the hell you're talking about, but thanks for confirming it.

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Don't you mean another beer!

You appear to have been on the beer all day!

Not really friend, I don't drink alcohol. not at all. I found it's effect on the people's brain cells was not often an advantage.

7 hours ago, onera1961 said:
8 hours ago, fruitman said:

Many Thai products cost more in BKK than in the West....in the supermarkets...if you like high quality

Even McDoland costs more. It is like 180 for a bigMac. I pay the same price in Chicago and $7.00 in London. 

You guys - Big Mac is 120 baht something, and who flipping cares?!

Sorry, and we are all feeling your pain, that a Full Brit Breakfast has went up in cost, but for a majority of expats in Thailand this is a non issue. I suggest you man up and deal with it, or move, but the constant whinging is annoying. Spare us the drama, either take that dump or get off the pot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

You pick out a few items and C & P them, but they don't exist do they. If they did there is nothing to prevent you from doing so. Just pick out one incident that happened in Pattaya concerning child abuse.

Wrong. Again. Most of the incidents happen away from Pattaya and frequently involve Thai teachers and school directors.

You seem a bit fraught, can I assist you in any way? Prolonged feelings of stress aren't good for you

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Well I can't find anything, so I'll hold my hands up to that one.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's OK. I only remembered it at all because I hated GG and allowed myself a laugh when I read it. He must have been cruising the police stations for the TL police to grab him. A bit out of character for them...

Edited by HalfLight

I would find it hard to believe those who live a simple life here with their families are liking the current situation, those who came here for the nightlife, women, etc. I am sure don't see any issue. So as the poll shows, very few see a positive side to the current situation or future of life in Thailand.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rexall said:

No, no, no. If they don't have enough customers, they will just closer your Imm office, merge three Imm. regions together, and you will have to drive 150 km to do your visa, with bigger crowds and longer wait times! Geeze! Do I have to think of everything?

You're pretty much on the button there. I used to have to gtravel 200km, then the police got wind the office was corrupt, (surprise surprise). Now it's only 100 or so Km. It's an ill wind...

24 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

The conversation is making me feel quite sad really because underneath all my criticism of Thais - which is all valid, I feel unhappy when I look at what the rich in Thailand have done.

Would that be the twisting and perversion of historically understandable Thai traits into an undeserved arrogance and xenophobia to deflect from their own poor stewardship of the human and natural potential of their fellow countrymen/country?  For starters.

Let us count the ways... Wait, no, let's not.  I've already hit my quota for depressing thoughts today.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It's not that easy to "just leave" when you built a life with family, bought a house, a car etc, and have a fixed income. It has nothing to do with unhappiness, but many will be forced to leave due to the baht appreciation.

Well its been declining ever since the junta took over. Not just for Westerners but ordinary Thai also. Taking back the streets from vendors destroyed many lives. As for as Westerners you've always been unwelcomed guests. Over the years there has been a systematic effort to make it hard to stay here. If you are married, with a family, house and a car it's even more scary. It's the life you've built here being threaten. Can't just pack up the family and leave. Although you would hope the lovely lady you married you would follow you to the ends of the earth I wouldn't bet the farm on it. If your living here it's probably true she nor the kids want to leave their home and leave Thailand. Long distance relationship isn't a sustainable option. On a fixed income you can be holding down two households. But if you are so blessed to have a woman that stands by her man than by Thailand then you'll sleep good tonight and in the future. I know of one woman faithful like that. All the other women I ever knew leaving Thailand were running to what they thought was a good life abroad or running from a bad life here. 

Cambodia has always been a back backers paradise to me. 50c beer and Happy Pizza but even the Happy part is experiencing changes by law. Too dusty and dodgy to drag the Mrs. And the kids to. Perfect for a single guy on a fixed income and you can find a girl looking for a guy easy there. Even the homeless expats have someone for a companion. Still a cheap yearly visa for around 300 duckies with no deposit gives you a spot to relax from all the stress. 

I did make the mistake of visiting Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) and fell in love with their parks, excellent food choices, cheap transportation (use Grab Taxi exclusively to avoid the fast meter scams) and cleanliness. Americans can get a 1 year tourist visa (exit every 90 days) that's renewable. A friend got his from Happy Travel street 172 in Phnom Penh for $255.

Anyway, a good man or woman always needs to have a backup plan. For me I'm single. As for countries to live I use the same approach as i do with women. I choose the one that smiles at me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

I fully agree, personally I prefer being in the former of the categories you mention. If the balloon goes up, the B&P Brigade will just move on to the next spot where they can slake their carnal needs, exploit peasant women and have a beer with the chaps. Provided they are in the same social cetagory of course.

I have hedged my bets and have a foot in either camp. I live outside Pattaya with my wife and son. I also have the occasional foray into Pattaya for a night out with friends.

It's the best of both worlds.

1 minute ago, ramr said:

Would that be the twisting and perversion of historically understandable Thai traits into an undeserved arrogance and xenophobia to deflect from their own poor stewardship of the human and natural potential of their fellow countrymen/country?  For starters.

Let us count the ways... Wait, no, let's not.  I've already hit my quota for depressing thoughts today.

Erm, no. It wouldn't be that at all, I'm really sorry so much of it has gone over your head.

And dont pretend you don't like the depressing thoughts, you know very well they provide yyou with the impetus to get in similar company. Prior to becoming lissed as a pizard.

7 hours ago, puchooay said:

Judging by this thread, I would say that Thailand will be a much better place to live. All the doomers and gloomers will be gone and will be whinging about there lives somewhere else.

If you are using that as a basis for staying, I feel sorry for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Well its been declining ever since the junta took over. Not just for Westerners but ordinary Thai also. Taking back the streets from vendors destroyed many lives. As for as Westerners you've always been unwelcomed guests. Over the years there has been a systematic effort to make it hard to stay here. If you are married, with a family, house and a car it's even more scary. It's the life you've built here being threaten. Can't just pack up the family and leave. Although you would hope the lovely lady you married you would follow you to the ends of the earth I wouldn't bet the farm on it. If your living here it's probably true she nor the kids want to leave their home and leave Thailand. Long distance relationship isn't a sustainable option. On a fixed income you can be holding down two households. But if you are so blessed to have a woman that stands by her man than by Thailand then you'll sleep good tonight and in the future. I know of one woman faithful like that. All the other women I ever knew leaving Thailand were running to what they thought was a good life abroad or running from a bad life here. 

Cambodia has always been a back backers paradise to me. 50c beer and Happy Pizza but even the Happy part is experiencing changes by law. Too dusty and dodgy to drag the Mrs. And the kids to. Perfect for a single guy on a fixed income and you can find a girl looking for a guy easy there. Even the homeless expats have someone for a companion. Still a cheap yearly visa for around 300 duckies with no deposit gives you a spot to relax from all the stress. 

I did make the mistake of visiting Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) and fell in love with their parks, excellent food choices, cheap transportation (use Grab Taxi exclusively to avoid the fast meter scams) and cleanliness. Americans can get a 1 year tourist visa (exit every 90 days) that's renewable. A friend got his from Happy Travel street 172 in Phnom Penh for $255.

Anyway, a good man or woman always needs to have a backup plan. For me I'm single. As for countries to live I use the same approach as i do with women. I choose the one that smiles at me. 

Oh mother, that rang true as a number of different levels. 10/10

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I have hedged my bets and have a foot in either camp. I live outside Pattaya with my wife and son. I also have the occasional foray into Pattaya for a night out with friends.

It's the best of both worlds.

Then good luck to you. I suspect that what's important is remaining in control. Something the average B&Per loses quite quickly. The pull of drunken-ness to instill confidence and the rush of testosterone to instill self-esteem can be addictive as I understand it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

So it was too high to begin with - something is only worth what someone is willing to buy at. 

Too many peopke have an inflated opinion if what their house is worth, it’s endemic here OR got turned over when purchasing and now want to sell their stupidity on 

ZZZZZZZZZZ

• Haha 2