US debit card use

No 220 fee, but if your bank charges you a % for foreign currency transactions, you'll see that on the statement.  Also, make sure the cashier does the transaction in Thai Baht, not US Dollars.  It's called "Dynamic Currency Conversion" (DCC) and isn't in your favor.    I typically tell the cashier "Thai Baht" when I hand them the card.  Always check the receipt before you sign.  If they DCC you in Dollars, have them reverse the transaction and do it again in Baht.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, enuff said said:

Thank you!

you said debit card and Tesco/Lotus declined mine 7-8 months ago, they said only accept CC nor foreigner DB but Thai DB is ok not same same they said.... foreign debit card allows to draw cash

Sure...you'll probably be able to use no problem with no Bt220 fee.  That Bt220 only applies to Thai bank ATM withdrawals...purely a fee Thai bank's impose.   Purchase transaction incur no such fee.

But like 55Jay already said the "US bank" may impose a foreign transaction fee...that's purely a fee from your US bank...don't blame the Thai merchant for any such fee.  Typical for US banks to charge a 1 to 3% foreign transaction fee on many debit and credit cards they isssue..but some don't.  You just need to check with your bank as to if they charge a fee....that info should be right on their website about your card. 

And like 55Jay also mentioned unless you know the Thai merchant does not default to doing the transaction as DCC transaction be sure to tell the check out cashier to "Charge in Thai baht; not US dollars."  I never had a Big C attempt a DCC over the last decade..   But some merchants like HomePro will default to DCC but gladly charge in baht instead by telling the "Charge in Thai baht; not US dollars." 

Any yes, a few merchants will not accept Debit cards, but normally accept Credit cards no problem.  That's purely a merchant decision.