Two Russian Women Killed At Jomthien Beach

george

Sunbathing on the beach at 5am come on, I know some of you are still up at 5am in Pattaya, it is still 2 hours until you see sunshine. Arguement with beach chair vendor and wait around until 5am for them to come up and shoot you, again irrational.

A set up 2 meet 2 hookers at 5 am in more likely and a paid assasination is almost a certainty. I hope the police can solve this one.

Maybe a misprint for 5 pm. The deck chairs are not out that early in the morning.

This was no misprint, to quote from one of the reports:

.....Pattaya, Chon Buri - Two Russian women were shot dead on Jomtien Beach in this seaside resort town early Saturday morning.

As observed by another TV poster, who sunbathes at that hour of the morning?

Does it matter what they were doing at that time in the morning?? What actions justify a Thai man coming up to them and shooting them dead?

This place is getting like the gangster run 50's in the USA... Chicago et al.

There's probably little we can do except avoid the place

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These two poor women were gunned down on a public beach - and they don't deserve the hysterical nonsense that has been dumped on them until there are any concrete facts to assert that they were anything but innocent tourists.

Even if they weren't, they didn't deserve to die like this.

All this tell me is that we are fast reaching a stage where any farang is fair game, and the low life who carry out these killings couldn't give a shit about what effect this might have on Pattaya's tourist industry.

In the current climate of officially encouraged xenophobia, the killer is probably quite proud of himself.

May the two unfortunate women Rest In Peace.

unbelieveable you people have solved this crime already . now all you need do is arrest someone give them a fair trial and then hang them :o

Speaking of these travel warnings, why does my country (the US) issue these for foreign countries, but never for the US? If any place needed travel warnings it would be the US. Almost every large city in the US has 'no-go' areas that travelers might enter unaware. If the US is so concerned about its citizens safety, and presumably the safety of others, why not issue travel warnings for those visiting the US? Same would hold true for the UK, which is rapidly catching up to the US as far as 'no-go' areas. Seems hypocritical not to. Or have I just missed those warnings??

Thailand and pattaya in general is a nice place. Where else can you expect to have roving military patrols

because crime has surpassed the ability of the local police to handle. How many tourist in a city of 300K

were killed, robbed or gang beaten in the U.S. last year. I'll bet Pattaya out does all of U.K and U.S. combined

on violent crime against tourist.

Update:

Two Russian tourists shot dead in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Two female Russian tourists were shot dead today while they were relaxing on the beach in the popular Thai seaside town of Pattaya.

Police said Tatiana Tsimfer, 30, and Liubov Svirkova, 25, were found dead in their deckchairs on Jomtien beach, Pattaya, some 150 kilometres southeast of Bangkok.

A nearby hotel guard told police he heard several gunshots and saw a Thai man speeding away on a motorcycle after the shots.

"At the moment, we don't know why they were shot,'' said Major Sretha Maklon of Pattaya police.

The women arrived in Thailand on February 16 as part of a group tour.

Pattaya is one of Thailand's popular beach resorts and is also known for its thriving nightlife.

Despite its reputation as a holiday paradise, Thailand has seen a series of gruesome murders of tourists in recent years.

In Kanchanaburi, 100 kilometres west of Bangkok, a 26-year-old female Australian tourist was killed in a drive-by shooting last year. A young British couple were gunned down there in 2004 and a French tourist was shot dead in 2003.

On New Year's Day in 2006, a 21-year-old British female tourist was raped and murdered on the southeastern resort island of Samui.

-- The Australian, AU 2007-02-24

My sympathies to the families of the two women and may they rest in peace.

I haven't the faintest idea what happened, but (come on! you knew there was going to be a "but" didn't you?) I often used to sit in a deckchair by the sea in the early hours of the morning on Huahin beach and on a couple of occasions was extremely startled when a Thai man appeared suddenly from the shadows at the back of the beach to demand that I pay for the privilege. The man (not always the same one!) always reeked of alcohol and was obviously, if not staggeringly, drunk. On closer inspection, he usually had one or two friends lurking in the shadows. My response, being a non-aggressive sort of person (or "coward"), was always to get out of the chair and continue my stroll along the beach, without paying. Although I never experienced anything worse than him shouting after me as I left, I always had the impression that violence was just under the surface, and I have long since stopped walking on the beach at night.

I suppose I should be grateful that I never got stabbed to death and subsequently featured on Thai Visa as undoubtedly being an ungrateful rent boy who had attempted to defraud his pimp.

More detail from Pattaya City News.

Two Russian Women shot dead on Jomtien Beach.

A terrible case of murder now from the southern section of Jomtien Beach, in front of Soi 18. Police Colonel Sutin, the Chief of Pattaya Police was one of many Officers to attend this case after receiving information of two foreign women who had apparently been discovered dead on the beach.

At the scene, the two women were identified as Miss. Tatiana Tsimfer aged 30 and Miss Liubov Svirkova aged 25, both Russian Nationals. They were both slumped over deckchairs. In front of them was a half-empty Whisky Bottle and can of Coke. Other items including a mobile phone and money belonging to the pair were also found suggesting this was not a robbery.

Miss Tsimfer sustained one gun shot wound to her stomach and left leg and Miss Svirkova sustained a shot to her right arm and the center of her chest. Both were confirmed dead at the scene by a forensic doctor who confirmed the pair had been shot no more than one hour before authorities arrived at the scene.

We spoke with a Security Guard who works at the nearby Ananya Condotel who mentioned that he remembered seeing the two Russian Women at around 4am. They were drinking and would occasionally go for a swim. Just before 6am, the Security Guard heard screams from the two women and 4 shots were heard. He then saw an unidentified Thai man leave the scene on a motorbike.

Later on Saturday Morning, Police Lieutenant General Asawin, the Region 2 Commander of Police came to Jomtien to inspect the crime scene. He took a few moments to speak with the press and confirmed that a dedicated murder investigation team has been assigned to this case. The team is currently inspecting CCTV pictures from cameras located along the beach and a separate unit is producing detailed profiles of both victims in conjunction with the Russian Embassy.

He confirmed that the pair checked into the Dragon Beach Resort Hotel located only 100 meters from the murder scene, on 16th February and were due to check out on 3rd March. It is believed at this point that they traveled alone. Information concerning a possible suspect points to a Deckchair attendant working in the area who failed to appear for work on Saturday Afternoon. Suggestions of a possible dispute between the Russian victims and the attendant are being investigated and Police confirm they have full details of the attendant and are currently searching for him.

We expect further updates on this murder case over the coming days and will of course bring them to you here on Pattaya City News.

Pattaya City News, Saturday 24th February 2007

Two Russian women killed at Jomthien beach

PATTAYA: -- Two Russian women, both tourists, have been shot dead in the Eastern seaboard resort of Jomthien, adjacent to Pattaya, about 110 kilometers (70 miles) southeast of Bangkok, police said.

Tatiana Tsimfer, 30 and Liubov Svirkova, 25 were killed when an unidentified gunman fired four shots from a 9 mm pistol, police said. Their bodies were found lying on the beach while their personal effects were left untouched.

Witnesses reportedly told police that they saw the victims drinking alcohol and swimming earlier.

Initially, police investigators believed that the Russian tourists probably quarreled severely with a beach chair concessionnaire which led to the later violence. Police are searching for the operator to investigate.

--TNA 2007-02-24

The conclusion that a chair concessionnaire was a lilely perpetrator seems odd to me. Certainly possible but likely is odd. They are not hard to find and there is little that goes unnoticed on that particular stretch of beach.

That's standard procedure for police here. Crime happens, reporters show up, Police must present leads even if they have no clue what's going on, produces first hare-brained idea that comes to mind. In Europe, it's the opposite: They won't say anything until they have enough evidence to start a trial. Kinda prefer the latter...

Because this happens so consistently, I am thinking it might have to do with saving face. Maybe the police would lose face if they told the truth ("we have no clue and we are investigating right now").

PATTAYA: -- Two Russian women, both tourists, have been shot dead in the Eastern seaboard resort of Jomthien, adjacent to Pattaya, about 110 kilometers (70 miles) southeast of Bangkok, police said.

Tatiana Tsimfer, 30 and Liubov Svirkova, 25 were killed when an unidentified gunman fired four shots from a 9 mm pistol, police said. Their bodies were found lying on the beach while their personal effects were left untouched.

Witnesses reportedly told police that they saw the victims drinking alcohol and swimming earlier.

Initially, police investigators believed that the Russian tourists probably quarreled severely with a beach chair concessionnaire which led to the later violence. Police are searching for the operator to investigate.

--TNA 2007-02-24

First thing I though, this must be connected to the russian mafia... well, I guess was wrong.

I keep telling tourists I meet here in Hua Hin, that they should never have a loud verbal fallout with a Thai in public, because that's about the only thing that really makes them go mental... and to make a point I usually end my lecture with: "...and they will have no problem killing you, if you tick them off enough!

Well, if there is anything true about "...police investigators believed that the Russian tourists probably quarreled severely with a beach chair concessionnaire which led to the later violence..." and considering that just about EVERY beach chair in Jomtien is for rent, and the fact that only a hotel security saw some guy run away from the beach, it probably was the guy renting the chairs.

That's scary though... Thai people who work in the tourist industry should (and usually do) have a think skin towards "stupid unfriendly tourist" at least that's the impression I got. If I just think about all the girls that have to put up with their dumb ass short time boy friends, I am amazed how they can deal being with some for more than 5 minutes.

They should really air some sort of "Thai way of life / how to not get killed by a Thai" video on the airplanes that makes people understand that the land of smiles is ONLY the land of smiles if YOU smile...

I'm not trying to defend the shooter, whoever it is, that person needs to be put away for good. If it was the guy renting the chairs, and this hole thing was a renting dispute (which I believe, at the moment) then I like to

imagine the following happened:

The girls sit down on the chairs.

The guy wants to collect the rent.

The girls think he has no right to do so.

They get in an argument.

The guy gets out his gun, and shoots them.

Outcome could be

He has to pay a little fine for having the gun

He gets off the murder charges, it was clearly self defense.

:o

Well, we will see.. TiT

The above is a perfect example of the knee-jerk forum member who is all to ready to blame anything on the mindlessly violent Thais. Never mind that the 'facts' in the articles cited are contradictory. For starters, who sunbathes at 5AM, and who rents beach chairs at that hour? My hunch right now is that it is something to do with some Russian group, call it mafia if you will. Far more likely given what we know so far. That is just my hunch--I am not going around telling people my hunch is a fact and then drawing all kind of conclusions about Russians in general from my hunch. Many of us have our suspicions, but at this point nobody knows what happened--except of course the mindless TIT crowd who never miss an opportunity to slag off Thailand and Thais in general.

The Dragon Beach Resort Hotel in Jomtien is a typical tour hotel used by Russian tourists. In a news report it is stated that the two women were staying there from February 16th-March 3rd, which seems to me a typical two week holiday.

This makes it unlikely that they were in conflict with Russian mafia or 'pimps' etc.

A report tells of a Thai man speeding off on a motorcycle from the crime scene.

I conclude that this is either a tragic cold-blooded killing following a deck-chair dispute or else a revenge killing.

Looking back over the last few months crime reports, several have involved Russian women having bags snatched and being injured by Thai gangs. Several of these attackers have been caught by police, most recently by a Russian couple on a motorcycle who chased the thieves down.

My point is: that this crime might be a random revenge attack on Russians. See links below.

Russian Attack 1

Russian Attack 2

The police would be wise to persue these 'once in custody' criminals and investigate their recent actions.

It seems to me that many members feel the need to blame someone so, instead of blaming the killer, they blame the victims, or they blame all "cowardly Thai men" or all Thai people or all Russians.

The only person to blame for this murder is the man who pulled the trigger.

--TNA 2007-02-24

One can't help but feel that is more to this than the above. Don't know that many people in Jomtiem but happen to be going tomorrow, so will ask some of the locals I do know and report back!

My guess is that their Russian pimps stepped on too many Thai toes.

This was just a warning from Thai pimps or the Police on who is boss in that particular stretch of coastline.

You are quite wrong to assume that these two women were prostitutes. The story so far suggests that they were on a two week holiday and staying in a comfortable hotel nearby, just enjoying a drink and bathing in the sea.

Regardless of who or why it has happened.

Is the city of Pattaya to ###### cheap to provide deck chairs without charge and someone to monitor

them. I guess the 5,000 baht a month to pay a few people to monitor government provided chairs

on a public beach is too much for old patters to handle. Simple to set up vendor points for those who wish to make orders of food and drink every 100 yards and the same for the roving massage and

vendors. Let the vendors pay for a spot in which to hock their products and they will be limited to

that spot or the streets away from the beach side. Anyone else will or should be considered of illegal business operation and punished in kind. The havoc and hassle in the present system on a public beach

is pathetic.

What kind of person would kill 2 girls in the middle of the day on the beach? This is horrible news.

Mafiosa comes to mind.

Conflicts of interest look likely in this case, i,m sad to say from the report, without wanting to raise the morality issues.

Let,s hope it doesn,t develop into something even more shocking.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Regardless of who or why it has happened.

Is the city of Pattaya to ###### cheap to provide deck chairs without charge and someone to monitor

them. I guess the 5,000 baht a month to pay a few people to monitor government provided chairs

on a public beach is too much for old patters to handle. Simple to set up vendor points for those who wish to make orders of food and drink every 100 yards and the same for the roving massage and

vendors. Let the vendors pay for a spot in which to hock their products and they will be limited to

that spot or the streets away from the beach side. Anyone else will or should be considered of illegal business operation and punished in kind. The havoc and hassle in the present system on a public beach

is pathetic.

has the time and day of this incident been clearly established yet ? there is so much

of this story that doesn't make any sense ?According to " The Nation "

this happened this morning i.e.Saturday -but as clearly mentioned earlier the sun isnt up properly until well after

6.30 am in Feb and I always thought the deck chairs were stored away at night ? I have

never seen deck chair attendants around so early in the morning ! in in any case if they

were lazing on deck chairs surely there would've been at least a few other people around

but is no mention of this ? :o

The Nation

"Police said they were shot and killed on beach chairs on the Jomtien Beach at about 5 am. A security officer of a nearby resort said he heard gunfire and saw a Thai man rushing up from the beach and fleeing on a motorcycle. He checked the beach and found the two Russian women lying dead on the beach chairs."

What brave chaps these Thais are when they have a gun against two women sun bathing in deck chairs or when there are 12 of them kicking a drunk farang on the ground. No wonder their military is so pathetic - beaten by Laos in 1988, nealy beaten by Burma a couple of times and too cowardly to send reinforcements to help patrols under fire in the South.

Finally! A underlying reason for Thailand's problems... Thai Men! Sounds good to me. Let's start a website, say, http://mai-mee-kai.com :o:D

I agree who thinking that the thai owner of chairs shot the girls, as I saw in Jomtien they are more rude then what a tourist place need.

Also russian are not agreable expecially when drunk but that reaction must be clearly punished.

You realy have to love Thaivisa.com, within 13 posts the two female victims of an outragously violent act are presumed to be sex workers based only on there nationality.

Go figure.

Figure what, you implying that they are wrong? Gee, get a life will 'ya.

Anyone strike it odd they were out at 5AM in beach chairs? :o This all points to a hit as stated previously.

Not at all, many places tourist partying start late and last well into the next morning.

I guess when they find the deck chair guy and ask him why he did not show up for work after the crime, might they know the whole story or at least his side of it. If he was there at that time of day to collect

from tourist why should they not be there to use them.