Thai govt urged to move people from high-salt diets

webfact

1 minute ago, attrayant said:

Humans are biologically compelled to seek out food energy (carbs, mostly, including sugar).  We gravitate toward food with the highest levels of carbs and fat.  It's only in this light that any sort of food could be loosely described as addictive.

If you're looking for somebody to point a finger at, point it at us for not being able to moderate our caloric intake.  Food is everywhere, and too many people eat for pleasure.

I do.

3 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Humans are biologically compelled to seek out food energy (carbs, mostly, including sugar).  We gravitate toward food with the highest levels of carbs and fat.  It's only in this light that any sort of food could be loosely described as addictive.

If you're looking for somebody to point a finger at, point it at us for not being able to moderate our caloric intake.  Food is everywhere, and too many people eat for pleasure.

That's certainly true. Eating for pleasure rather than survival is a problem.

Never too late to start healthy habits.

Thai food in general is very unhealthy

mainly with the low quality oil used to fry everything

then topped off with loads of salt, sugar and fish sauce.

Seems people are smartening up about what they eat 

and hopefully this will spread into the younger generation in Thailand. 

28 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Never too late to start healthy habits.

Thai food in general is very unhealthy

mainly with the low quality oil used to fry everything

then topped off with loads of salt, sugar and fish sauce.

Seems people are smartening up about what they eat 

and hopefully this will spread into the younger generation in Thailand. 

Better quality of food is also more expensive. You can make relatively healthy Thai food if you (or wife / gf /bf / whatever) prepares it with high quality ingredients.

Well here we go again simply just another underhanded way of introducing a new tax same as western nations, don't get me wrong Thailands food certainly could lower the amount of salt, msg, sugar by fifty percent no problem but taxing it only hits the majority that's the poor how about education that might be a good start just takes longer. 

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Better quality of food is also more expensive. 

I'm not sure what is meant by "better quality food".  Just use conventional broccoli, carrots, seasonings and other ingredients and avoid dumping loads of salt and sugar into the pot.

If you are a healthy person who eats mostly whole, single-ingredient foods, then there is probably no need for you to worry about your salt intake.  Save the added sugar for dessert.  Better yet, skip dessert and have some fruit, which is plentiful and cheap here.

4 minutes ago, attrayant said:

I'm not sure what is meant by "better quality food".  Just use conventional broccoli, carrots, seasonings and other ingredients and avoid dumping loads of salt and sugar into the pot.

If you are a healthy person who eats mostly whole, single-ingredient foods, then there is probably no need for you to worry about your salt intake.  Save the added sugar for dessert.  Better yet, skip dessert and have some fruit, which is plentiful and cheap here.

I don't worry about salt, at all i actually take some extra salt as I workout a lot and sweat a lot. Not enough salt is a killer for people who do workout.

With better quality of food I mean preparing it yourself with more expensive oils and more vegetables and meat instead of loads of rice. That makes the dish more expensive then what you buy at roadside stalls. I am talking about how the average Thai eats. Not me I could not care less about what I pay (within reason) to eat healthy.

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

It's more about quantity, i used to think Thai food was healthy

until i lived here,  and looked how they cook with stuff like Salt, Msg, and Sugar. way over the top.

( cook at home is healthy )

But feel free to consume,  as much as you wish,  of it all.

And deep fried !!!!

Bangkok is choking on toxic pollution. Up country in Isaan a lot of people live in poverty. Parents take a family of four on a scooter because they can’t afford a car due to insanely high import taxes. The schools are lacking. The hospitals are inadequate. 

But it lets spend money on studying salt intake. Let’s have a Low Salt Thailand Network and an army of drones to fight pollution. 

I think the the country has much higher priorities than salt. 

Something needs to be done about how they cook/eat in Thailand or this will lead to huge consequences in the future!

I'm a heavy man (150 kg), but I control my sodium, fat and sugar intake and have no problem with blood pressure, blood fats, diabetes or liver values... but I have students who are just 15-20 years old and still have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, gout, fatty liver or cirrhosis!?
Today we have scout camp and in the morning I was teaching how to tie some knots, 7 (10%) of the students had problem to even hold-on to their rope because of gout or other problems/defects prohibiting them from them to bend their fingers/properly grip things... we are talking about children who are 15-16 years old who has more problem with their hands than my 87 year old grandmother!!! 

3 hours ago, HalfLight said:

Maybe, I have no training as a nutritionist, but judging from the amount they eat (someone on here joked that Thais have to eat every 15 minutes), I suspect the issue isn't so much quantity as quality. Rice is hugely non-nutritious and they eat mountains of it.

White rice. Brown rice is fine. 

I read somewhere that poorer kids are shorter cos they lack the more expensive iodised salt. In fact, there's a debate going on about the whole "salt is bad for you" thing. Apparently, it's genetic. For some people it is bad, for others, the majority, not so much. Giving health advice seems to be still in plague doctor territory as far as I can see, given the fip-flops we regularly see.

7 minutes ago, nausea said:

I read somewhere that poorer kids are shorter cos they lack the more expensive iodised salt. In fact, there's a debate going on about the whole "salt is bad for you" thing. Apparently, it's genetic. For some people it is bad, for others, the majority, not so much. Giving health advice seems to be still in plague doctor territory as far as I can see, given the fip-flops we regularly see.

It's lack of protein in their diet through puberty that causes the small size.

Feed them western portions of milk/cheese/pork/chicken/fish during that period of time and they turn out the same size and height as western children.

Archived