Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

2 minutes ago, moto77 said:

Not meaning to judge others but this is not your country and they don’t owe you a cheap retired life.

Cheap retired life.  In comparison to what.? As you say this is there country so someone with 65k a month is hardly living a cheap retired life here.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you're referring to current ACH transfers thru BKKB New York, then of course, that domestic ACH method is going to be closed starting this April as previously announced... leaving only regular wire transfers in its place.

Yes, you're right, but in a strange coincidence, a transfer through the Bangkok Bank New York Branch would cost me exactly the same as a SWIFT transfer from Vanguard to Thailand ($10 + 500 baht receiving fees in Thailand).

Hmmm

So I have 800K in the bank and a valid retirement extension in my passport.

But I am fed up with Thai immigration and decide to move to Vietnam.

I therefore transfer my 800K back to my bank in my home country.

I then grab a taxi to the airport to leave Thailand once and for all.

But I am arrested for overstay at the airport and put in the IDC because my extension is no longer valid (Because I don't have 800K or even 400K in a Thai bank).

Am I missing something?
Yes, desperately missing thailand within a few months [emoji16]

3 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Yes, you're right, but in a strange coincidence, a transfer through the Bangkok Bank New York Branch would cost me exactly the same as a SWIFT transfer from Vanguard to Thailand ($10 + 500 baht receiving fees in Thailand).

The difference being, in the past, pretty much everyone and anyone from the U.S. could use BKKB ACH transfers thru their New York branch as a very economical means of sending funds to Thailand.

But not anyone and everyone happens to have Vanguard or Fidelity brokerage accounts, with the free or low cost international wire transfers that they provide....

• Like 1

Just now, madmen said:

Yes, desperately missing thailand within a few months emoji16.png

You will get over it. I leave all the time and I miss it, but then after a few months I actually DON'T... haha

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BestB said:

Food is crap and every girl thanks god while being screwed. Otherwise all good ????

The food in Phils is getting better. You do need to know where to eat though. You won't be as lucky as in Thailand if you just choose a place randomly, but if you do a bit of research or have some experience, the food is excellent. 

25 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

It's getting your just desserts, and anyone who says it doesn't exist is very closed-minded and arrogant.

That's a ridiculous statement. I've been here legally for 12 years abiding by all the immigration rules, how am I "getting your just deserts" and being "closed minded and arrogant"? Who needs Big Joke while you're around.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, marqus12 said:

Do not laugh ... it's my dream  ????

If everyone on this forum contributed their 800k we might afford an island. There comes a point where the visa regulations / costs / pollution / traffic jams cause one to leave. Put it another way, is the pleasure worth the pain?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mlkik said:

When I lived in Pattaya I only knew one expat who had a legit extention of stay all the others used an agent and had no money in a Thai account.

My wife asked me if I had ever been to Thailand (and been to Pattaya) when we started dating in the US, if I said I ever went to Pattaya she would have dropped me quick. I think her and her friends/family look at Pattaya like a cesspool that attracts the "bad guys" that Immigration wants out of the country.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I assume your kids don't go to private/international schools then. I know people to do it but it isn't exactly a good standard of living or very fair for the kids. Maybe they are still young and don't need a new iphone or car.   Do you think they'll get a high paying job if they don't study abroad or at an international uni here?

Yes they are still young, they all have their own phones and notebooks but of course not the latest iphones, thats also part of educating kids, teaching them that they cant have the best or everything they want and in life we need to work to buy things and have to make do with what we can afford. I would prefer them to be educated in Europe, however the way that foreign Fathers are treated here with the xenophobic restrictions and laws its an impossibility at present

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mlkik said:

When I lived in Pattaya I only knew one expat who had a legit extention of stay all the others used an agent and had no money in a Thai account.

If true, then by this time next year there should be virtually no retired expats left in Pattaya.  I'll put it in my calendar to check the stats this time next year.  But personally, I think your 'sample' is a little skewed or you hang out with the more unsavory brand of expats.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The difference being, in the past, pretty much everyone and anyone from the U.S. could use BKKB ACH transfers thru their New York branch as a very economical means of sending funds to Thailand.

But not anyone and everyone happens to have Vanguard or Fidelity brokerage accounts, with the free or low cost international wire transfers that they provide....

That's true.  I did acknowledge that the Vanguard SWIFT isn't available to everyone in my original post in this thread.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Your short sentence is at the heart of why I don't like this change.  You're absolutely right, the sequestered money can't really be used for anything without putting at jeopardy your extension.  

Previously, if I had an accident and had to pay 500,000 baht (I guess it was a bad accident) to the hospital that money would come out of my 800,000 baht I had sitting in an account in Thailand.  Now, if I use that money I drop below the year-round 400,000 baht threshold and I get kicked out at the next extension renewal.  My crime: I paid for an unforeseen expense with my own money.  To avoid that I have to make arrangements from the hospital to transfer more money to Thailand.  Great.

Same problem if example after your Ext. date you need to fly urgent your country for no matter reason, and if in that 3 month period could a checking needed for the funds ..??? How the checking go be done is the main question , your freedom of movement is at stake with risk of failing your status. This new thing s...ks  , not for the money but for the rules connecting to it , I think this go change a few times as they did not think about such co incidents can happen 

Really don’t get why the need to show the 800k 90 days after being granted the one year extension and how are they going to ask for proof of 400k minimum at anytime. A bit of a nonsense but will do harm to the fixers that I for one use as I do have the cash but really can’t be bothered to jump through hoops at the behest of immigration cops who’s wages I help to pay through my monthly expenditure in this country of some 85k. Time to rethink this whole Thai living thing and maybe a shift next door to Cambodia? Why do these people want to make life difficult for themselves to get their grubby little hands on my cash? 

• Like 2