Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

7 hours ago, lucjoker said:

No, they want the real cash in the bank and 800 000 thb extra every year.

By by cheapcharlies

Are you sure? I thought the wording there was a bit confusing. So you mean that after 2 years you need 1.6 mil and after 3 years, 2.4 etc? That seems a bit crazy for someone who is retired. I'm not retirement age yet but wouldn't want to have to do that

2 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

How the heck can this law be changed with just one months notice? I will not be able to top up my Thai account above the 400k continuous limit until after 1-Mar, as I never needed to before.

When my extension renewal is due in Aug, presumably I be declined after 11 years of renewals because my 400k level wasn't maintained throughout with just one months notice given?? This cannot be right?

Not just declined. You will be arrested for overstay because your extension was invalid the moment you had less then 400K. if the period of overstay is more than 6 months you will be banned from Thailand for 6 years.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

Are you sure? I thought the wording there was a bit confusing. So you mean that after 2 years you need 1.6 mil and after 3 years, 2.4 etc? That seems a bit crazy for someone who is retired. I'm not retirement age yet but wouldn't want to have to do that

No. It's awful news indeed but it does not mean that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't be bothered to read 30 pages so apologies if this has been mentioned before....

I did my marriage extension 2 weeks ago - bank statements, bank letter, photos, etc, and it all went ok and in 2 weeks I go back to get the stamp. They told me I needed to bring a bank book and get a photo copy showing I had 400k still in the bank when I go back. Which was weird and a first as normally when you go back you just need the passport. 

Hopefully this is all a coincidence and the officer was confused by all the above retirement stuff. He was new. There was nothing strange about my banking either, I had had the 400k in the account for the whole previous year. I am also in my 40s so he can't think I am going for retirement.

I hope this is a coincidence and they aren't going to do this for marriage extensions too but I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by jrward42

10 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Anyone got Big Jokes e mail address? Time he realized the problems he's causing for his own Thai people too, many of whom depend on us farang.

This is just a business decision. No emotions or thoughts what so ever about you, or the Thai people. Actually IMO it has nothing to do with not having the required funds! It is designed to generate cash flow for the government. The 65K is nonsense and they know it. I personally doubt if BJ had anything much to do with this other than taking the credit for it. Declining westerners, aging expats, just numbers and cents IMO.

I may be wrong, but that is what I believe.

• Like 1

What about the retirees that go back to their home country and get a multi-entry retirement visa from their local Thai embassy (proving local funds available in their country) and then doing a border bounce every 90 days instead of immigration visit? Is that option still available?

My retired mother would much rather keep her funds remaining in her investments than bring them to sit in a Thai bank doing nothing. She usually just goes back home for an annual visit with family and to renew her visa.

28 minutes ago, OKF said:

can somebody pls answer?

no impact on any visa.  This is for people who have extensions of stay (retirement or marriage).  This is a case where that distinction that seems silly to some is really important to understand.  There are visas and there are extensions of stay and they are not the same.  You are unaffected.

1 minute ago, newatthis said:

And for all those who can still get the Embassy letter, you can ignore the previous 370+ posts. 

Maybe not. Never get comfortable. Tomorrow they may stop accepting letters from everyone. Also in my view the combination method is under serious serious doubt now, certainly for those without letters but even for those with letters.

So it might have been better for you to say embassy letters showing at least 65K monthly. Under should DEFINITELY worry. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, johnny1966 said:

My extension was granted June 2018. Next 90 day report due 10th March 2019. Next application for extension due June 2019. Does this mean I have to show 800k on my next 90 day report in March this year or this applies to the new extension application in June?

Do you think anyone really knows such details yet? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pookiki said:

Is a two-tier system still alive and well for those who can get embassy letters?

Until the remaining embassies use similar rules to those who have changed, the gulf between the two tiers is now wider than ever. 

2 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Until the remaining embassies use similar rules to those who have changed, the gulf between the two tiers is now wider than ever. 

I'm not so sure. I think people with letters on the combo method should be seeing the writing on the wall for them too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

This is pretty close to a worse case scenario for a significant percentage of people on retirement extensions here, and I'm talking about the ones that have been legitimate. It goes without saying that people that have been using agents and couldn't qualify before are totally screwed as well.

Why couldn't they just crack down on the agents?

cutting in their own flesh you mean ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnny1966 said:

My extension was granted June 2018. Next 90 day report due 10th March 2019. Next application for extension due June 2019. Does this mean I have to show 800k on my next 90 day report in March this year or this applies to the new extension application in June?

I don't think it has anything to do with 90 Day Reports. 

Starting in March 2019 you will need the same three months of seasoning of your 800,000.  So March, April, May.  Then you will need to maintain that 800,000 for three additional months June, July, August.  Then you can spend anything in the account in excess of 400,000 which must remain in the account for the rest of the year.  Then in June 20 2020 when you go for your extension you will have to show a bank statement that shows that you had at least 400,000 balance the whole year (June 2019-2020) and had at least a 800,000 balance for the three seasoning months before your application and for three additional months (June, July, August).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So what are the possible options if you can't or won't meet these amended deposit requirements? 

1. Pack up and move to a new country.  

2. Become an overstayer. 

3. Switch to tourist visas.

Since they here by choice none of the three options are good, and at best will be short term solutions, because they will find overstayers and they will make getting multiple tourist visas more difficult to get. And maybe harsher penalties coming for overstayers as well. 

The only real option, is to pony up the 400K or 800k, if you want to live here. 

Edited by inThailand
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

So what are the possible options if you can't or won't meet these amended deposit requirements? 

1. Pack up and move to a new country.  

2. Become an overstayer. 

3. Switch to tourist visas.

Since they here by choice  known of the three options are good, and at best will be short term options, because they will find overstayers and they will make getting a multiple tourist visas more difficult to get. And maybe harsher penalties coming for overstayers as well. 

The only real option, is to pony up the 400K or 800k, if you want to live here. 

Start moving forward with Plan "B", sell everything, grab your cash and head for greener pastures.

• Thanks 2