Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

You may be lucky enough to be able tie up 800,000 Baht for five months every year without needing to spend of it, in which case bully for you.
There might be others who have committed themselves to Thailand by buying themselves a condo to enjoy their retirement in, so don’t have a spare 800,000 Baht they can leave untouched in the bank.
There might be those who’ve retired here under the previous conditions and didn’t expect the goalposts to be moved.
One wonders if those who can demonstrate they have the current required monthly income might be the next to have the goalposts moved.
For the life of me I really don’t understand the reasoning for needing to leave 800,000 Baht in the bank for five months of the year when it’s supposed to be evidence that you have sufficient to live on.

Actually 6 months, 3 before and 3 after renewal.

The only “ grandfathering “ which appears to be allowed is for people here since 1998 and over 60 years old ( back in 1998 I assume) , they are allowed 200,000 but I doubt many fit the requirements.

28 minutes ago, notamember said:

you will need a heater installing, the odometer reset from Km to MPH and and an MOT, then pay the import tax and VAT  then you will be ok

nah my Chevrolet Colorado has one in as standard ( I was surprised ) and a  software rework would probably sort the digital dash 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DrTuner said:

After 12 years of suffering under the penetrating gaze of counter #6 at Jomthien I'll simply disagree. It's a hassle.

Sad to hear that; only problems we've ever had in Chiang Mai were to do with the old overcrowded Imm' Office but Big Joke has now sorted that out and things are easiest they've ever been.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, zydeco said:

But the new rules are making working easier than retiring in Thailand.

This is a viable alternative to many retirees who don't have the requisite finances or want to jump through the hoops
to renew or maintain their retirement visa. Although, I suspect getting a work permit entails a lot of hassle as well. I
guess it all depends on how much one "loves" Thailand and the current environment here. 

• Like 1

800,000 before and 800,000 after , then not less than 400,000 for the rest of the year , will the bank book suffice , or will a letter from the bank have to be provided every time you do the 90 day report ?

Because I am sure some offices will want to check your bank balance hasn't fallen below 400,000 before they issue you a 90 day report stamp.

Or will it be a case of wait and see / depends which office you use. 

So when you come back 3 months later will you again need a second letter from the bank and your bankbook updates to show the 800,000 baht.  Just doubting the work for us and the banks.  This sounds like a stupid big joke.

Edited by Mango Bob
  • Like 2