Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

agents will simply earn more money and get to charge for the use of the 800,000 baht loan four times a year now, instead of just the once at renewal time
only thing needed now is for the agents IO to set the tariff for this now 90 days-3 monthly show and tell service
Happy days for many.....

Yes... But do they have access to that sort of capital? That's a LOT of cash in the bank for a long time!

Be happy

14 minutes ago, mlkik said:

I do not have a Benz or a Toyota pick up. My car has AC and a heater. Maybe you should look into new cars in Thailand and you will realise they also have round wheels! 55

this topic is not about cars, so its very off topic and subject to mods intervention , however next time i jump in my old S class. i will make  note of asking my driver of that which you are discussing, i will also ask the wife and daughter if what you say is true in their new cars too

She has a wildtrak pick up and the daughter has a swift, so you might get one out of the three..

They all have round wheels though, that i do know

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

When I do my extension of stay I'm going to get gold chains like Mr.T, (Fool!) two fake diamond Rolexs, rent a Mercedes 230 SLK and have a bank account at every Thai bank with 800k in each one. Walk in a yell "Where is my VIP lane?"     

yes  sir  behind those 200000 Chinese and soon  Indians

4 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Assuming you're right I think I may just have to find a way to stagger the lump sum I bring into Thailand every year.

My annual pension arrives in May each year and I have to watch what I spend to keep the balance above 800,000 baht until I renew the visa in December. I did have the two dates similar until I screwed up my visa a couple of years ago. I then start spending money and then repeat the process the following May.

It seems I have to weigh up the options:

1. Change my pension date to September, if I'm allowed to do so

2. Change the way it's paid so I can receive 65,000 per month, though at the current ROE it's not quite enough!

3. Bring in a lump sum of 400,000 and carry on as before (and at 40 to the pound this is not an attractive option)

4. Change to a Non-Imm Multi-entry (though I'd need to look up the rules on this)

5. Bugger off elsewhere, which isn't easy with a family

6. Get married and change my visa (and I won't allow the Thai Government to force me into this so not really an option)

The annoying thing is that the visa agents will no doubt be greasing the palms of their dodgy IOs right now. They'll find a way and possibly thousands of retirees who have done thing properly for the past several years will be forced either to join the illegal bandwagon or leave the country.

A case of Bad Guys In, Good Guys out!

So why not get your pension lump sum paid into a UK or foreign bank. Then do a Transferwise every month, making sure it is say Bht 5oo Bht over 65k. into a Bkk Bank account which will say FFT.  No lump sum or 90 day proof required. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

It says 2 months before and 3 months after. So, five months. After that you must keep 400K for the remaining of the year. 

The 2 months rule is for your first extension and thereafter 3 months prior for subsequent extensions...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Personally I think Thailand is trying to bring 'working capital' into the country.... (and they aren't getting MINE)...... After all this is the scam capital.....

At the same time as they are requiring all this money brought into the country, They are 'deflating the value' of all the western currencies and inflating the value of their 'Baht'..... After the Thai banks are filled up (with all our 'bargain-rate currencies) they know the Baht will devalue again and 'our' currencies will rise (leaving them a great profit)........ So 'Thai Grafters' will have 'fat accounts'.......

I have elected (and vowed) not to bring any of my money here for them to 'Play with'...... I will just come back as a tourist every couple months instead..... and let them have my 'retirement visa' and shove it where the sun don't shine.......

To each their own opinion..... This is mine.....

SPOT ON! THE WINNERS JUST KEEP ON COMING!

RzI6Eir.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Am I right that all that does not apply to retirees who can still show the embassy affidavit letter as  proof for their retirement income? The embassy of my country (Austria) and probably other countries as well do still issue such affidavit letters.

Did anybody pay attention to the "income route"?

It says now 800k had to be deposited for a year, and when withdrawing the money underlies the same rule as "money in bank"

So effectively you can't use this method anymore for the first extension, and after a year it's effectively the same as "money in bank".

So to sum it up the income method effectively doesn't exist anymore for people who can't get an income affidavit from their embassy?

Edited by jackdd

12 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Mmm - If the intention is to freeze out agents why not issue an order banning agents from immigration offices.

They don't want agent services to be stopped but they can certify the agents and allow only certified agents to submit valid applications, just like in all other countries, for example Portugal's golden visa or USA's E5 visa. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thequietman said:

What are U talking about? the money needs to be seasoned. The only way an application will get through is if the IO accepts the deposit for 1 day.

But at next year extension the IO will check you hade 800k during 6 months...

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You can't forget it, you have to show it every 3 months ????

Nowhere I have read that... :unsure:

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The IO will not ask for any papers which explicitly say the money was there all the time. Of course an IO will only "forget" to ask an agent about such papers, if YOU go to get your extension you can be sure he wants to see a proof for every single day.

You missed the main new point. They will check you have keep the money at the following extension, the year after...

13 minutes ago, NE1 said:

800,000 before and 800,000 after , then not less than 400,000 for the rest of the year , will the bank book suffice , or will a letter from the bank have to be provided every time you do the 90 day report ?

Because I am sure some offices will want to check your bank balance hasn't fallen below 400,000 before they issue you a 90 day report stamp.

Or will it be a case of wait and see / depends which office you use. 

and if you do not do a 90 day report, 2000 baht fine

not do it all year 5000 baht

or leave every 90 days and reset the the report clock

not here, no report, not here no show

rinse, repeat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1