Foreigners now need to keep 800k in Thai bank for three months AFTER retirement extension is granted

let retirees work then no strings attached. All my thai neighbours sit around all day and have nothing to show for it. seems farangs bank interest is the only possible reason for this lunacy. Is Thailand actually poor and so lazy they can only put farangs to work without actually being allowed to....?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lipoman said:

Why are some of you posters making this so difficult to work with?  You put 800k into a Thai bank.  Done.  You have satisfied the immigration rule.  The 800k is really not that much money. 

Why should anyone tie up 800k for 6 months on a pittance return, it may not be a lot but we can make 5 /6 times elsewhere. Personally I've told her indoors we are off, mind you I made that decision a year ago by buying a gaff in Malaysia,  it just gee'd things up.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

That is true , but some offices will only accept it with a bank letter verifying the book is correct.
Out of all the imm. offices in this country , there are no Two that run the same.
Which is what I do with every new extension, now I might have to provide a bank signed statement every 90 days?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

Correct me if I am wrong ,  I have to show 800,000 baht in my account every time I do a 90 day report ?

If that is the case , do I have to get a letter from the bank to verify said bank account as per yearly ext.?

Reading that horrific news, the answer is no. Looks like only on the first report as that would be the required time period after being granted. But having said that, what about online or postal reporting?? Or do we all have to report on person? Just more inconvenience more than anything else.

3 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

It becomes even more confusing referencing the 90 day reports as these don't necessarily align with the issue of the extension dates. Completely different systems.

If somebody leaves and re-enters the country one month (or two months) after the extension based on retirement has been approved, when is their next 90 day report? As I read it, to prove funds remain at 800,000 baht three months after approval of extension, then a dedicated visit to immigration will be needed.

I can see this also affecting people who, even though on an extension for reasons of retirement are still working outside the country. I know a few who were literally forced to go down this road when pressure was put on them for accumulation of visa exempt entries; not married and on a 30/30 (or variations of it) rotation cycle. These people were never affected by 90 day reporting as they were never in the country for more than 90 days, but will now have to work around 'visits to immigration for verification of remaining funds' (both 800,000 for first 3 months and possibly more visits to confirm no less than 400,000 remains in the account??) whatever they may be.

Tricky knowing what will be required after reading the amendment. 

It is in such situations the "power of attorney" kicks in .... :thumbsup:

Coming for holiday in Thailand is ok but 

committing to living in Thailand is something one should avoidat all costs. Again today I met someone from UK ,  he lost everything ,Car, house, motocycle, furniture, his daughter,and some gold jewelry,  very sad.

this happened to often here,  But the new comer  will not believe a word of it ...

I am sure happy that I sold my big house here in Thailand and move  to another country.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lipoman said:

So, put the 800k into the Thai bank.  Done deal. And 90 day reports equal 4 visits to immigration each year.  Eight trips in a year to immigration?  I think you are tripping. 

- many don't do trips to immigration for 90-Days: letter or Internet

- where did you see you have to make new trips to show money ??

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

I would suggest that the bank statement requirement on renewal period may change from 3 months to 12- this will reflect if a balance has dropped below 400k over the year. This is why I keep two separate accounts.

Bear in mind this is early days and won't have been thought through yet so in the words of Cpl Jones' Don't panic Mr Mainwearing'. I reckon there will be 20 pages on this by tomorrow though- all speculation and rhetoric. 

Only 20? :)

If you have a lazy 800k laying around then there won’t be a problem. Put it in the bank and forget about it. 

Then it’s business as usual and no problem funding your day to day, month to month, year to year financials however you please. Use Transferwise or similar and no need to worry about ridiculous international bank remittances and their uncompetitive exchange rates. For those who have the spare cash I see it as a positive. 

When it’s time to leave and you’ve planned an exit just draw down on the 800k and what you don’t spend put in your shoe for the trip out. Maybe not your shoe. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, worrab said:

Reading that horrific news, the answer is no. Looks like only on the first report as that would be the required time period after being granted. But having said that, what about online or postal reporting?? Or do we all have to report on person? Just more inconvenience more than anything else.

That part may not have been thought through yet but it's a very valid point.

• Thanks 1