Bangkok bank currency receiving fees?

57 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

A transfer question for the gurus:

My bank limits online transfers to $5000.  I can use an online transfer through Bangkok Bank, NY, to my account here in Thailand.

I need to transfer about $20,000.  My choices are to do online transfer through BB, NY, 4 times, or to call my bank and have them do a wire transfer ($30 fee).  

If I go the wire-transfer route, it is to my advantage to make the transfer directly to my account here or would it be better to go through BB, NY?  I suspect a direct transfer to my bank here, but defer to those who might have experience.

Since you are sending to your Bangkok Bank account in Thailand you will use Bangkok Bank SWIFT code of BBKBTHBK (or BBKBTHBKXXX if your sending banking insists on a 11 digit SWIFT Code) along with your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank account number.  After that it's out of your control.

The only fees you should experience is your sending bank's $30 SWIFT fee and the Bangkok Bank receiving fee of 0.25% (Bt200 min, Bt500 max).  This receiving applies whether you send via SWIFT, ACH, carrier pigeon, etc.

Definitely cheaper to do one SWIFT transfer for $20K than 4 ACH transfers for $5K.

2 hours ago, Alotoftravel said:

For those USA account holders that use a ach to Bangkok bank NY, are we now going to use swift instead after April 1St 2019  , my Bbk Thai account currently shows ftt today so we are good till eom March . Should I even try ach again after april 1st to see if it will fail before using swift?

Up to you....worst that can happen is Bangkok Bank NY immediately rejects the transfer back to your sending bank.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:48 AM, Lazybones said:

Don't know where MikeN got his figures from but to send Westpac A$ the fee is $20 on their website - Sending Australian Dollars via Westpac Live Online Banking: $20.

I got it from their website, and I have just double checked my last few transactions ..... $5 fee.

Edit : on checking their products info page it does say $20, but it definitely only cost me $5/transaction for the last year or so. Guess they have not updated that page? But if you start a dummy transfer it says $5 ........

It used to be $20 but they reduced it about a year ago, not long after Transferwise started undercutting them !

Archived