Retire to Philippines - Forget Thailand

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/5/2019 at 12:35 AM, spidermike007 said:

Would a sixth degree black belt be good enough for you? How many black belts do you have? 

I was lucky enough to initially study tae kwon do in Providence RI under Master He Il Cho.  He was a true master.  A real 6 degree blackbelt at the time.  Real old school traditional.  A korean national champion I believe.  He founded a chain of schools with his blackbelts and over many years I studied on and off from 1973 until 1999, achieving all the brown belt levels,  but never took the black belt test. I had back surgery in 71 for a disk that ruptured over into my sciatic nerve, and nobody diagnosed it for almost half a year. I couldn't even touch my knee, and a sneeze or cough was torture.  No cat scans or MRI back then.  Just an expensive neuro guy and a mylogram with die in your spine.  Anyway, at 62 years now, TKD was enormously a factor in me being reasonably healthy, and getting an initial exposure to Asian culture and things

57 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

can't quite sort out if they have an "income" proof type of thing.  I don't have a pension but plenty of dividends and interest from stocks and bonds coming in my portfolio that more than covers any normal life expense > 60K USD/year.

They have deposit long term stays with financials for retirement but most people just use normal tourist visa entry and keep extending for up to 3 years when an exit/return is required.  They are very happy to provide such and it is not considered cheating in any way.  The only downside is you must apply for an exit permit a few days before making trips out of the country.  

4 Things I didn't like about PI many years ago:  the rampant/pervasive Catholicism (i.e. poverty), the thugs/scammers, the food, and the open sewers along roads (yes their sewage control plan was to have it run in gutters at the side of the road.)   

The fact that a one of the richest Archdiocese in the world is actually causing poverty?  Just cant handle a culture where 96% of the populace believes in unseen beings and paying their way to heaven. 

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1266721/world

https://www.manilatimes.net/manila-archdioceses-paper-wealth-in-bpi-tops-p30b/168033/

The Philippines was my second choice.  I did not want the big city of Manila, the S-hole of Angeles or Baguio (boring, traffic and full of relatives).  I would have chosen Cebu, Palawan or Subic (not Olongapo), 

The negatives (vs Thailand)

Food, although I do find as much good foreign food there as in LOS

Women's appearance, seems like the women are getting heavier every year.

Many truly dangerous areas

A bit more chaotic 

No divorce

The positives

English

More "loving women"

English

Easier visa requirements

English

Easy access to decent quality health care

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the only pros and cons that apply to me

is on the bright side easy reliable visa,

on the negative side power-outs and the pain to move

and acclimatize there.

and it would be another downside if

7/11 & food isnt available at every corner

Imagine if Christopher Columbus had the same attitude ?

"I aint going if theres no 7/11's there " 

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

7/11 & food isnt available at every corner

Only about 1/4 the number of 7/11.  But they have huge domestic fast food Jollibee on just about every corner.  Not an issue finding food in cities or at malls but as most people agree normal food is not the quality or taste variety of Thailand.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:51 AM, Skallywag said:

4 Things I didn't like about PI many years ago:  the rampant/pervasive Catholicism (i.e. poverty), the thugs/scammers, the food, and the open sewers along roads (yes their sewage control plan was to have it run in gutters at the side of the road.)   

The fact that a one of the richest Archdiocese in the world is actually causing poverty?  Just cant handle a culture where 96% of the populace believes in unseen beings and paying their way to heaven. 

https://www.manilatimes.net/manila-archdioceses-paper-wealth-in-bpi-tops-p30b/168033/

Open sewage, oh, like the little depressions along the sides of Soi 7 and Soi 8 in Pattaya used to serve as?

13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Open sewage, oh, like the little depressions along the sides of Soi 7 and Soi 8 in Pattaya used to serve as?

Checkout The Nation website article 30366052 about the Ao Nang Krabi province waste water running onto the beach. Now they are digging a trench so the untreated waste water will flow directly into the ocean.

With all the new immigration requirements, especially the financial requirements, to retire in Thailand, and increasing prices, and appreciating Thai Baht consider moving to the Philippines.

Philippines has an attractive offer, a special retirement resident visa (SRRV). Check here: https://pra.gov.ph/

The SRRV is a lifetime visa and its holders are exempt from Bureau of Immigration requirements. SRRV-holders are also eligible to work, study or invest in the Philippines. Here are the benefits of an SRRV:

1. Indefinite stay with multiple-entry/exit privileges;
2. Exemption from:

• Philippine Bureau of Immigration ACR-I Card (Annual Report)

• Customs duties & taxes for one time importation of household goods & personal effects worth up to US$7,000.00 Tax from pensions & annuities

• Travel Tax, if retiree has not stayed in the Philippines for more than 1 year from last date of entry

• Student Visa/Study Permit

3. Access to the Greet & Assist Program at selected Philippine airports;
4. Free subscription to the PRA Newsletter;
5. Discount privileges from PRA accredited Merchant Partners;
6. Free assistance in transacting with other government agencies;
7. Entitlement to PHILHEALTH benefits & privileges.

Note:
There is a one time USD$1,400 SRRV application fee for the Principal and $300 for spouse and each dependent. You have to complete a SRRV application form, have a current passport with a valid entry visa, medical examination clearance, police clearance and NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) clearance, twelve 2"×2" ID pictures and supporting documents if your spouse and/or dependents will be joining you living in the Philippines.

I was commenting this already in another post. I left Thailand years ago and live now near Cebu. And still very happy with my decision. What a difference at the BI and the people in general. But I also said, I still like Thailand. As a tourist.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Checkout The Nation website article 30366052 about the Ao Nang Krabi province waste water running onto the beach. Now they are digging a trench so the untreated waste water will flow directly into the ocean.

Oh yeah.  I was there a few years ago.  Very scenic with the cliff to the side, sea in front, jungle to the other side. But when I went in the swimming, the sand was all slimey.  Definitely in my opinion due to runoff and what not.  I took the long boat around the bend to Railey beach.  At least that sand was white and the water seemed OK.  I liked Ao Nong as it seemed clean, and there was enough there to keep me entertained for a week.  And the ferry ride from Phuket pier to Ao Nong was really nice.  It was calm clear day, good sights as we motored past some small islands.

On 3/17/2019 at 4:51 PM, gk10002000 said:

I was lucky enough to initially study tae kwon do in Providence RI under Master He Il Cho.  He was a true master.  A real 6 degree blackbelt at the time.  Real old school traditional.  A korean national champion I believe.  He founded a chain of schools with his blackbelts and over many years I studied on and off from 1973 until 1999, achieving all the brown belt levels,  but never took the black belt test. I had back surgery in 71 for a disk that ruptured over into my sciatic nerve, and nobody diagnosed it for almost half a year. I couldn't even touch my knee, and a sneeze or cough was torture.  No cat scans or MRI back then.  Just an expensive neuro guy and a mylogram with die in your spine.  Anyway, at 62 years now, TKD was enormously a factor in me being reasonably healthy, and getting an initial exposure to Asian culture and things

And so you retired to the Philippines?

On 3/12/2019 at 5:21 PM, KhunFred said:

The great thing about the Philippines is that you can stay there indefinitely on just a tourist visa. You need only leave the country every three years, and then fly back in for another three years. Visa costs are very competitive.

You better check the rules. I have just spent three years getting my Probationary Resident card and you are wrong.

17 minutes ago, taipan1949 said:

You better check the rules. I have just spent three years getting my Probationary Resident card and you are wrong.

How is he wrong?  A tourist visa can be extended in 1/2/6 month units up to 3 years and then requires a simple exit return to start again.  They only requirement other than extensions is an ACR card after 59 days and an exit permit prior to travel.  Entry with a Philippine spouse gets a one year stay.  Options for special visas with monetary deposits are also available. 

On 3/19/2019 at 4:36 PM, Swedenlars said:

I was commenting this already in another post. I left Thailand years ago and live now near Cebu. And still very happy with my decision. What a difference at the BI and the people in general. But I also said, I still like Thailand. As a tourist.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

Tell me more about your experience. Did you rent or by a condo? How are the ladies? Do have a new GF? How is food and security? What are your total monthly costs? Where exactly do you live?

On 3/17/2019 at 4:51 PM, Skallywag said:

how is it so different than buddhists here who believe in ghosts and making merit with gifts or money?  i think all religions are very similar in many ways all about control through various means...

On 3/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, lopburi3 said:

How is he wrong?  A tourist visa can be extended in 1/2/6 month units up to 3 years and then requires a simple exit return to start again.  They only requirement other than extensions is an ACR card after 59 days and an exit permit prior to travel.  Entry with a Philippine spouse gets a one year stay.  Options for special visas with monetary deposits are also available. 

After using up my BB, Balikbayan which was good for one year, when I went to Davao I got a 60 day visa and that is all they were giving out when I was there. No six month visas. I am married to a Filiippina.

How do you sleep in the Philippines.  Roosters and bikes are at constant full blast.  Great country to party and NOT sleep.  The food has very little variety, Bangus and high sugar, salt, and grease. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Pilotman said:

regular 'brown outs', poor to none existent 3G in many parts of the country, crumbling infrastructure, a homicidal maniac as a President,  an active drugs mafia, a near Civil War on the southern Islands.  Really?   

In Thailand, bar the president, things are about the same, don't you think?

3 minutes ago, hansnl said:

In Thailand, bar the president, things are about the same, don't you think?

Actually electric is better in Thailand due to a national grid (rather than thousands of islands) and 3G/4G is more available and less expensive.  Drugs however are probably an even larger issue in Thailand and Philippines infrastructure is improving but need for sea travel is a limitation.  

8 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I have a friend in the states who married a Philippino lady. After staying in the states a few years she went home to visit family and she said I will never move back to the Philippines.

Indeed that will be the feelings of many Filippina as they adapt to other cultures easily and most will prefer the more advanced western nations - and many like Thailand for similar reasons.  They have experience with both Asian and Western cultures and feel at home in most countries.  In most families there is at least one overseas worker or spouse so much more open to international life.  There is no argument that once accustomed to 'clock time' a move back to Philippines requires a great deal of patience - and probably not a good choice for anyone obsessive compulsive (understatement).   

On 2/1/2019 at 4:45 PM, Pilotman said:

regular 'brown outs', poor to none existent 3G in many parts of the country, crumbling infrastructure, a homicidal maniac as a President,  an active drugs mafia, a near Civil War on the southern Islands.  Really?   

As distinct from decent 3G OMG!...a war on the Southern border, cudos on the Pres, immigration all over the shop, poisonous air, honomicdal maniacs on the road and pure hate fostering getting worse every year.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:58 AM, lopburi3 said:

Indeed that will be the feelings of many Filippina as they adapt to other cultures easily and most will prefer the more advanced western nations - and many like Thailand for similar reasons.  They have experience with both Asian and Western cultures and feel at home in most countries.  In most families there is at least one overseas worker or spouse so much more open to international life.  There is no argument that once accustomed to 'clock time' a move back to Philippines requires a great deal of patience - and probably not a good choice for anyone obsessive compulsive (understatement).   

Over the years I found that Thai ladies do not want to move out of Thailand unless it will be an absolute certainty that their life would improve 1000%.

Unfortunately many delusional Westerners don't actually converse about the real situation back home as it will almost always be a struggle and not a fairy tale they told their Thai ladies and what their ladies see from the FaceBook pictures. This is really dumb and extremely shortsighted as there is no chance in hell that the relationship will work out unless the Thai woman is actually extremely hard working and knows about how the world works more than the dumb Farang himself.

Just imagine you hear the stories about Thailand and easily accessible women and then you come here and it's all ladyboys. Ok, not the greatest example, but would you stick around? Of course not.

Especially love those Brits from kentfukshire or some other dump who are factory workers and bring a bargirl to their "home". Newsflash! It's not London and she will be bored. Nothing for her there, no food, no friends (a Thai without food and friends, just think about that), no nothing.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

1 hour ago, bipper said:

As distinct from decent 3G OMG!...a war on the Southern border, cudos on the Pres, immigration all over the shop, poisonous air, honomicdal maniacs on the road and pure hate fostering getting worse every year.

I have excellent connections for 3 and 4 G,  The border war as you call it in the south is a few terrorists that are now subdued. Immigration rules are sensible ( for the Thais) and not an issue for me.  The drivers are  very bad, grant you that, but the PI is hardly a haven of good driving. No hate around where I live.  

Archived