Retire to Philippines - Forget Thailand

1 hour ago, kekalot said:

5. Pollution. They use a lower grade of diesel. So, there is alot of soot in the air. The PI has an epidemic of lung diseases and respiratory diseases. Even on many of the populated islands. The hospitals are full of people who are having a very hard time breathing. It is a real issue there. Lung disease is at an epidemic level, though the authorities do not like to talk about it, and publish very little information on it.

Thai gasoline is not exactly the world's most refined either.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/17/2019 at 1:14 AM, SunsetT said:

No one has mentioned the risk to life, limb and property, not to mention the inconvenience, of being hit by typhoon after typhoon. And they are likely to become more and more severe with the Climate Change predictions.

If you base life on worrying about getting a hit by a typhoon, I would worry more about getting killed in a car accident in Thailand.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:18 AM, jesimps said:

Yes if you're forced to leave because you're going to struggle financially under the new TI rules, then the PI seems a better option to me than returning to UK. ANYWHERE seems a better option than returning to UK!!!

I have three 'western' options due to citizenship by birth UK and by marriages NZ and AU. None of them hold much appeal. I did try the UK in 2012, it wasn't all bad, rural Scotland can be quite the idyll, but again, on the dark side of 50, I can do much better here for feminine company, and I don't mean purely just renting it, no need to elaborate to anyone reading this.

I really gave the PI a bloody good shot. I went down to Dumaguete, I was in Cebu including the Island side, maybe four times, I met a lady chef with a terrific upscale business, but just no chemistry there. I went all the way to Iloilo, by far the cleanest place I ever saw in the PI, but super conservative, too small a city to spread my wings, so to speak, flirty girls but all too scared of gossip. The Catholic side effects of The real PI few deal with, and it's no fun.

Then ferry to Negros, and overland back to Cebu. 

Maybe I should have looked at Subic, but it seemed to be just Clark with a premium price tag, from what I could gather on the grapevine.

As to housing, sure you can get a secured gated bungalow starting at P28K a month, but you're still on the same DIRT road the old timers live on in a Filipino style hooch for P7K. I scored one, and had a decent landlady too, that's like winning the lottery, however, I still had to put in fly screens, air con, toilet fan (it was an airless box, next to the bedroom, dear God, how did they manage before?) New locks, a washer, all the furniture except a fridge, New electrics, a new shower, bowl, and basin. The 'tradesmen' were not fit to be a handymans dog by western standards. I fixed almost everything they touched, including finding and fixing the cistern leak(s)

No Thai has ever been that bad in four plus years, and they built an entire cathedral sized wet kitchen here in LOS.

What else, the roof leaked, it was barely better than shanty standard. 

Brown outs, black outs, scream outs, burning trash every evening, stinking of plastic, it was like patrolling Basara just strolling up to perimeter for a ride into fields.

A local guy was executed a few metres from that sister cafe to the VFW post, can't recall the name now. 

Getting in and out of jeepneys and trikes built for midget marmosets, let alone human dwarves.

The wet markets I went to were filthy, dismal, and the fruit and veg already rotting, so I just ate in the tourist traps like Tequila Reef, Envy, etc . Supermarkets with less choice than the average country branch of Thai Tesco, the grossly inflated prices in the 'Duty Free' zone on the base. 

Guards searching everyone going into anywhere, barbed wire and bars on everything, and let me say Angeles has a lot more going for it than say, Dumaguete, or Cebu, which I found to be a dump in any part of it not actually a Mall. 

Charges to walk on a beach, in a nation of 7000+ islands with beaches? <deleted> Right Off!

Immigration is a breeze, but you're there even more times a year than in Thailand, yes believe it or not, it's true. 

Stupid ID card just a money grab, and many other nickel n dime charges from those guys.

Internet is improving, but dealing with the duopoly is such fun.

What's good? Cheap booze, but that can be a curse, and the safer alternative can get you shot or jailed for a long time, English widely spoken, cheaper haircuts and other grooming services, cheaper public transport, but jeepney shit is falling apart, safer roads, sometimes, their minibus cowboys are just as homicidal as here. 

Also, if you have a tiff with your girl, she threatens to call in her brother and his ugly buds, like some kind of air support, who does that over a couples argument?

They do!

No doubt some caped TV crusader will be along to victim blame me.

Go ahead, after some of the bunny boilers I met there, it will be almost like reading a love letter. 

If you're tired of Thailand, go live (not vacay) in Scambodia or PI for six months, you'll soon see it's not so bad here, stupid visa hoops and all the other government incompetence.

Their postal service is also like something that Steven King dreamed up, too long to tell that horror story, just know they make Thai Post look like the pinnacle of excellence.

It's heartbreaking to think they were Asia's jewel, richer than Korea at the end of WW2, Their elites just kleptocrat-ed the place to Zimbabwe levels today.

The Marcos family still swagger about Manila, the loot still hidden offshore, Du30s son 'exonerated' for bringing in a <deleted> shipping container of drugs from his new best friends in China, but let's shoot a punk for a point of meth,  it's a <deleted> abomination of a nation.

Individually, they're great, ...sometimes.

12 hours ago, grifbel said:

I always have a laugh at these guys who claim to be "masters" of so many martial arts.  Considering it takes 20-30 years to master one martial art,  such claims are nonsensical.  Watching Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris reruns does not make you a master, except maybe on a barstool.

Joel González Bonilla Gold medal Taekwondo 2012.  González took up Taekwondo in 2011.

4 hours ago, kekalot said:

agreed.

I was in Cebu city for 3 weeks once and it was the only place in the world where I blew my nose and it was almost gray coming out.

Developed pneumonia in Cebu, it almost killed me, the doc asked me if I wanted a priest, lol. They called my mate in Aus, I put him down as next of kin on the admission form, he calls me up, 'some guys just called and said you're dying, <deleted>!' I was, credit to them where it's due, they got me to pull through. But their shit air started it! Bangkok is much better than it was, thanks to trains, and generally newer vehicles.

2 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thai gasoline is not exactly the world's most refined either.

It is light years better than the nasty soot produced from PI diesel. The pollution there is so much filthier than in Thailand. It is a much heavier soot, that causes massive pulmonary issues. 

17 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

I'm in CM and have decided that I'm going to find another country in which to reside. I have until August.

Reading these recent posts has dowsed all curiosity that I had about the Philippines. 

Thanks to the above for their candid observations.

I really cannot see any alternative in Asia right now. If you can stand the winters, some post communist countries in eastern Europe are appearing on the radar. Choose an EU member if you can.

I can't recommend one, friends have been impressed though, English is more widely spoken than you think, the Communists made the kids learn it!

Take anything you read on the International Living website with a grain if salt, just read how they sugar coat Asia!

Sincere best wishes.

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

If you base life on worrying about getting a hit by a typhoon, I would worry more about getting killed in a car accident in Thailand.

True that, but the PI really does get hammered by quakes, storms and such, while you may well not die, their shitty sloppy building codes may mean you stand a real risk of losing 'your' house and possessions, another risk, given shitty flimsy doors etc. is burglary, it's off the scale there, hence everyone lives behind bars and barbs. No worries, go away for a week or two, they'll just tear a hole in your roof!

On 3/2/2019 at 2:43 PM, yogi100 said:

I visited Davao when Duterte was the Mayor. He took a firm stance against drug dealers there as well and the people loved him for it.

And that's why he was elected president by an huge majority.

Filipino staff in London's hospitals love him for the same reason. Ask 'em if you get the chance.

Listen to the people themselves not the liberal elite who run the Western MSM.

Haha right.

They (the pinoy masses)  are being played like violins.

Du30 fights a drug TURF war on behalf of his dealer kid.

They were busted bringing in a sea container of China sourced shabu/ice/meth.

Busted in the sense, cops thought they had a big haul, but then somebody high up said, no no it's ok, but by then the story was out as a drug haul, and inevitability, somebody fingered Du30 Jr. Because well, how else you gonna 'ok' it without a big 'name', right?

Of course, he was found 'innocent' one of those 'misunderstandings' all over Asia, you read about the local version of such misunderstandings everyday on this site.

The Prez is a self confessed opiate addict for back pain. But somehow, his addiction is 'genuine'.

Please!

Addiction is addiction, you can't just bend the rules to suit your privilege, oh wait, you can!

I think meth dealers are scum, but I am realistic. You can't gun your way to a drug free world.

Killing Slumdog punks is pointless, those guys will win at the big end of drugtown. They beat Taksin and his drug war,  even as he was more popular with 'the masses'  than Du30 will ever be, once history is written.

In the PI anti drug mayors often end up dead, laughing boy is not just lucky, he is in on it!

It makes perfect sense.

He just shifted the trade off his patch.

Mexico gangs have enough clout to recruit, or even coerce, by threatening the families of, Mexican Special Forces. 

It's only a matter of time before they cotton on here, so what is to be done when the war gets to that level, and with the profits at stake, it will, especially when the global financial crash hits? Use and profits will go ballistic then, desperate times, easy money.

Well, prohibition (around the great depression) created Capone and the others. We won the speakeasy war by legalizing a very addictive and damaging drug, alcohol.

Booze still addicts and kills and harms millions directly and indirectly every MONTH, worldwide, but we live with it.

Other drugs are not much different, the addiction is in the person, not the substance, especially WHEN the drugs are legally produced, and used as directed.

It's science. When we wake up to the parallels, of alcohol damage and drug damage, the world will be a better place, but that's probably still 50 years away, even though such 'liberals' as police chiefs and judges in the west are saying it's a pointless endeavour.

Royal College of Surgeons have flat out called to legalise everything. But, hey what would elite medical professionals know about drugs and addiction, 555.

In Thailand General Paiboon called for weed, kratom (what a joke anyway, it's less addictive than caffeine) and meth to be legalized three years ago. He was the Drug Czar until promoted to the palace.

You can find that story on this website. And also in Time magazine.

Meth is EVERYWHERE here, I have heard from a reliable source,  that hi so Thai men my age use it in BKK, like it's sherbet,  let's call that source 'pillow talk' there's a reason why the CIA and KGB used hookers, in their information gathering, It's usually spot on. 

The average ice-ice crazy is always gonna be in the news, as are murderous brawling drunks, it does not mean either meth or alcohol will end civilization as we know it. 

Again, UK elite doctors and a Thai drug czar want it legalized, and controlled -exactly like booze is.

You may hate the idea, but how much longer must everyone in society suffer because die hard propaganda wonks can't deal with new scientific evidence, and failed strategies to stem the tsunami of drugs?

Also, where are the concomitant casualties of the tsunami? 

Surely we should be hoovering the dead and dying off the streets given the shit that we know is out there?

They can't be found because most people can handle their intake, just like booze.

13 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Joel González Bonilla Gold medal Taekwondo 2012.  González took up Taekwondo in 2011.

Thank you for validating my point.  Olympic taekwondo, like points karate is a martial sport.  Winning a gold medal in this sport is very different from being the master of a martial art.  But maybe you think women's field hockey, which has alot of physical contact, is also a martial art?

BTW your cited sportsman seems to have some unhealthy dietary habits, which a true master would not succumb to....LOL

https://elpais.com/elpais/2012/08/10/inenglish/1344616009_168043.html

Spain taekwondo medalists: “We gorged on McDonalds”

10 hours ago, Small Joke said:

Haha right.

They (the pinoy masses)  are being played like violins.

Du30 fights a drug TURF war on behalf of his dealer kid.

They were busted bringing in a sea container of China sourced shabu/ice/meth.

Busted in the sense, cops thought they had a big haul, but then somebody high up said, no no it's ok, but by then the story was out as a drug haul, and inevitability, somebody fingered Du30 Jr. Because well, how else you gonna 'ok' it without a big 'name', right?

Of course, he was found 'innocent' one of those 'misunderstandings' all over Asia, you read about the local version of such misunderstandings everyday on this site.

The Prez is a self confessed opiate addict for back pain. But somehow, his addiction is 'genuine'.

Please!

Addiction is addiction, you can't just bend the rules to suit your privilege, oh wait, you can!

I think meth dealers are scum, but I am realistic. You can't gun your way to a drug free world.

Killing Slumdog punks is pointless, those guys will win at the big end of drugtown. They beat Taksin and his drug war,  even as he was more popular with 'the masses'  than Du30 will ever be, once history is written.

In the PI anti drug mayors often end up dead, laughing boy is not just lucky, he is in on it!

It makes perfect sense.

He just shifted the trade off his patch.

Mexico gangs have enough clout to recruit, or even coerce, by threatening the families of, Mexican Special Forces. 

It's only a matter of time before they cotton on here, so what is to be done when the war gets to that level, and with the profits at stake, it will, especially when the global financial crash hits? Use and profits will go ballistic then, desperate times, easy money.

Well, prohibition (around the great depression) created Capone and the others. We won the speakeasy war by legalizing a very addictive and damaging drug, alcohol.

Booze still addicts and kills and harms millions directly and indirectly every MONTH, worldwide, but we live with it.

Other drugs are not much different, the addiction is in the person, not the substance, especially WHEN the drugs are legally produced, and used as directed.

It's science. When we wake up to the parallels, of alcohol damage and drug damage, the world will be a better place, but that's probably still 50 years away, even though such 'liberals' as police chiefs and judges in the west are saying it's a pointless endeavour.

Royal College of Surgeons have flat out called to legalise everything. But, hey what would elite medical professionals know about drugs and addiction, 555.

In Thailand General Paiboon called for weed, kratom (what a joke anyway, it's less addictive than caffeine) and meth to be legalized three years ago. He was the Drug Czar until promoted to the palace.

You can find that story on this website. And also in Time magazine.

Meth is EVERYWHERE here, I have heard from a reliable source,  that hi so Thai men my age use it in BKK, like it's sherbet,  let's call that source 'pillow talk' there's a reason why the CIA and KGB used hookers, in their information gathering, It's usually spot on. 

The average ice-ice crazy is always gonna be in the news, as are murderous brawling drunks, it does not mean either meth or alcohol will end civilization as we know it. 

Again, UK elite doctors and a Thai drug czar want it legalized, and controlled -exactly like booze is.

You may hate the idea, but how much longer must everyone in society suffer because die hard propaganda wonks can't deal with new scientific evidence, and failed strategies to stem the tsunami of drugs?

Also, where are the concomitant casualties of the tsunami? 

Surely we should be hoovering the dead and dying off the streets given the shit that we know is out there?

They can't be found because most people can handle their intake, just like booze.

I hope you weren't holding your breath while you typed this "War and Peace" length commentary.  If so, please come up for air.

7 minutes ago, grifbel said:

I hope you weren't holding your breath while you typed this "War and Peace" length commentary.  If so, please come up for air.

My commentary Compared to Tolstoy? Fame at last! I doubt I'm the hypoxic one, but let the world keep banging it's head against the war on drugs, won't it feel surprisingly nice for them, when they finally stop!

The great thing about the Philippines is that you can stay there indefinitely on just a tourist visa. You need only leave the country every three years, and then fly back in for another three years. Visa costs are very competitive.

35 minutes ago, Peasandmash said:

<snip> "THAI's don't really want us there, only our money. <end snip>

Possibly, other than someone's Mother, who does want a person who is a burden and has no money??

most western governments,

the tax payers are obviously against that shit

On 2/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, BritManToo said:

Sorry, I was never sick there.

Really tired of all the sick old men obsessing about health care, if you're that ill stay at home.

Slightly off topic,

I often go on walks in the jungle alone and with groups, you wouldn't believe the old fools with serious health problems that think they're OK for a 10-20Km hike in the mountains, then complain when they're about to have a seizure or heart attack (men and women). 

Firstly, every survey on the quality of living index for countries includes health care as one of the prime indices.
It is always the big-headed that go off topic so they can brag about their prowess and put others down. I think the medical term for the condition is called a "superiority complex". 
Accidents do not choose the victims by age nor do the grade of service change to suit the younger victim. 
Forgive your mother or the kid that beat you up in the playground. It is okay.
Do some research on empathy and you will find few will have empathy with you. 
I know you will say you do not care - part and parcel of your condition. 
Also, remember the 30-year-old is old to the twenty-year-old and the 40-year-old is ancient.  

8 hours ago, OZBill said:

Firstly, every survey on the quality of living index for countries includes health care as one of the prime indices.

Probably because Americans are so frightened of their own mortality.

It doesn't take much expertise or expense to set a bone or stitch up a wound.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:45 AM, Pilotman said:

regular 'brown outs', poor to none existent 3G in many parts of the country, crumbling infrastructure, a homicidal maniac as a President,  an active drugs mafia, a near Civil War on the southern Islands.  Really?   

And I think in general the PI food is poor compared to Thai food, not to mention the less available foreigner food.  Gosh in Thailand I probably eat more german food than Thai food

On 2/17/2019 at 11:18 AM, jesimps said:

Yes if you're forced to leave because you're going to struggle financially under the new TI rules, then the PI seems a better option to me than returning to UK. ANYWHERE seems a better option than returning to UK!!!

Back in April after a 3-month stay here -can't wait for a lovely spring which will have sprung. 

On 3/12/2019 at 4:21 PM, KhunFred said:

The great thing about the Philippines is that you can stay there indefinitely on just a tourist visa. You need only leave the country every three years, and then fly back in for another three years. Visa costs are very competitive.

A vblogger living there, for years, says he pays average of about $35 per month for both ongoing tourist visa and ACR cards.  ACR card is a yearly expense.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:52 PM, marcusarelus said:

Really?

Joel Gonzalez Bonilla

Date Of Birth:  30.09.1989

World Weight Category:    Male 63

Olympic Weight Category:     Male 68

Career Achievements:
Olympic Games 2012: Gold
World Championships 2011 & 2009: Gold
World Championships 2015: Silver
European Championships 2012 & 2010 & 2009: Gold
European Games 2015: Bronze

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

A vblogger living there, for years, says he pays average of about $35 per month for both ongoing tourist visa and ACR cards.  ACR card is a yearly expense.

Free if you marry a local, although she'll probably cost more than $35/month.

Archived