I can buy a new scooter, but will I be able to sell it?

Nordude

I am staying in Thailand on a METV. I read that the Immigration office in Bangkok doesn't issue Residence Certificates to foreigners who are staying on tourist visas. Therefore I went to my embassy and got one. I already used it for getting a Thai drivers license. The DLT let me keep the original Residence Certificate so that I could buy a motorcycle.

Now, here's the catch: I cannot get another Residence Certificate from my embassy. The Norwegian embassy has stopped issuing them. I got mine on the very last day.

So, I can buy a scooter, no problem. But how can I get rid of it when I leave after a year or two?

18 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You might have a bigger problem staying here on a tourist visa for 2 years

Yes, maybe. Perhaps I will get a work visa through some relocation service like Iglu or purchase an Elite Visa. The point is, I don't know what my visa status is when I'm selling it.

22 minutes ago, Nordude said:

The guy at the dealership said they require the Residence Certificate, and I can't have it back. He also said that it's only valid for a year anyway.

OK so your Thai DL will have your address on it so in most cases that is a proof of address.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OK so your Thai DL will have your address on it so in most cases that is a proof of address.

Yes, it does. I can ask the dealer about this, but it's all very fuzzy.

If I can't sell it, I don't know what to do with it. I could just park it in the street and leave, probably illegal too.

2 hours ago, Nordude said:

Yes, it does. I can ask the dealer about this, but it's all very fuzzy.

If I can't sell it, I don't know what to do with it. I could just park it in the street and leave, probably illegal too.

You seemed to be getting into a mess.

1... Have you bought the motorcycle.?

2... What makes you think the dealer knows anything.?

3... Go to your nearest DLT office and ask them. ?

4... Do you have a Thai friend to go with you who can help. ?

Not all DLTs require a certificate of residence from the seller, i think Bangkok does not, so you should have no problem selling it. A buyer could do the transfer in a province which doesn't require a certificate of residence if it should turn out that Bangkok requires one.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Not all DLTs require a certificate of residence from the seller, i think Bangkok does not, so you should have no problem selling it. A buyer could do the transfer in a province which doesn't require a certificate of residence if it should turn out that Bangkok requires one.

There seems to be a way around everything in Thailand.

I'm surprised you were refused certificate of residence from immigration on tourist visa,  I had many of those a couple of years ago,  for buying and selling bike and even to open bank account,  this was Phuket,  so maybe rules have changed or different offices do it differently, of course you need to register your residence first with TM30 form and so on,  then you can get CoR after that.... 

Archived