Overstay - What to do?

Hey guys,

Let me start by saying I acknowledge my own, personal stupidity and make no excuses for it however, hopefully someone can advise. 

I'm on a visa exemption and extension. I applied for a new passport just before Christmas and thanks to the holidays this took longer than expected. I have now overstayed for a few weeks.

What's the best way to handle this? If I leave on a visa run to come back (I have some medical treatment still to do), will I automatically be declined and end up screwing myself? Would it be absolutely stupid of me to just wait till treatment is finished and then leave? This would take me to abut 82 days over stay. 

Please don't be too harsh ????

Your in hard spot. Best is to pay your overstay upon leaving. You you have fine (think 500/day) max 20000. You might be able to reentry on visa exempt to continue your medical. Your safest way is fly out. If not banned then just fly to nearby country and try reenter via friendly border crossing. Oh and I wouldn't just wait till 82 days. That's nuff nuff stuff

Edited by DrJack54
Error

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your in hard spot. Best is to pay your overstay upon leaving. You you have fine (think 500/day) max 20000. You might be able to reentry on visa exempt to continue your medical. Your safest way is fly out. If not banned then just fly to nearby country and try reenter via friendly border crossing

Is there a risk in leaving by land rather than air? 

Best to leave at a airport and pay the overstay fine of 500 baht per day when you leave the country.

Getting a single entry tourist visa before returning would be best rather than entering to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Best to leave at a airport and pay the overstay fine of 500 baht per day when you leave the country.

Getting a single entry tourist visa before returning would be best rather than entering to get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Thank you very much

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Slap, you have best advice from ubon. What's your passport as you may be visa exempt to place like Saigon. Good joint to get setv and cheapish flights

I know thats an option I'm just very concerned that it would be refused or there'd be an issue where I couldn't come back. 

1 minute ago, Slap My Nips said:

I know thats an option I'm just very concerned that it would be refused or there'd be an issue where I couldn't come back. 

There is no reason why you would be refused entry with a valid visa. You have not mentioned your travel history. Some folk get hassled at bkk airports and one report refused entry even with visa. However that was many back to back TV over a year. You won't get refuse because of your overstay. As always advised have funds on your person. If your not happy flying in then you could fly to say Vientiane and enter border non khai. You could try visa exempt there. There would even be some members just say get to non khai pay fine and try and return. This is risky. BTW keep in mind if you got pulled up now for any reason, your going to Detention. You do not want that. That's why most advice would be ...get to airport. You made small error, don't compound it for few bucks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There is no reason why you would be refused entry with a valid visa. You have not mentioned your travel history. Some folk get hassled at bkk airports and one report refused entry even with visa. However that was many back to back TV over a year. You won't get refuse because of your overstay. As always advised have funds on your person. If your not happy flying in then you could fly to say Vientiane and enter border non khai. You could try visa exempt there. There would even be some members just say get to non khai pay fine and try and return. This is risky. BTW keep in mind if you got pulled up now for any reason, your going to Detention. You do not want that. That's why most advice would be ...get to airport. You made small error, don't compound it for few bucks.

Solid advice, thank you very much. 

1 hour ago, Slap My Nips said:

What's the best way to handle this? If I leave on a visa run to come back (I have some medical treatment still to do), will I automatically be declined and end up screwing myself? Would it be absolutely stupid of me to just wait till treatment is finished and then leave? This would take me to abut 82 days over stay. 

You may risk arrest and then what would you do? Immediately head to airport and pay the fine and get out. Enter again with a TV. If you're a perpetual tourist, enter through a land border using a TV

5 hours ago, BestB said:

If and when you leave , you would be banned from returning for a number of years.

going by land strongly not adviseable, only fly out.

Not so, if he surrenders himself under 90 days there is no ban.

OP, You say medical treatment, usually a hospital can help with extensions.

Edited by jacko45k

I got caught with this when I tried to make a border run to get the last week of follow-up care and was denied boarding by airline due to only having 178 days of validity on passport remaining (rule is 180 days).  I only had a 6 day overstay, but they added on two days of penalty since I had to travel up to the border and it was already too late to leave that day.

Going to Immigration Office (airport or other) and explaining situation (accepting responsibility, etc. like you did here) along with supporting documentation (receipt from Consulate for passport, letter from Hospital explaining treatment) and paying the fine will likely be okay. 

When this happened to me, I was told to go to Mae Sai (sp?) border crossing after paying the fine to reset the visa waiver period while waiting for new passport.  I had to sit in the office all day, but once they realized that I was polite and doing the right thing, they were very polite and helpful in the Chiang Mai Immigration Office. 

Bring a book.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrfaroukh said:

I think the best way is to go to immigration explain why you overstay and pay the fine , you may not be black listed since it is only couple of weeks. The more you wait the worse it become.

Not a good suggestion at all. He might end up in detention, deported and banned if he went that route.

The overstay cannot be paid unless a person can qualifies for an extension of some kind at immigration. The OP does not qualify for one unless he was able to apply for it based upon medical treatment and that requires that a doctor to state he cannon travel.

• Like 2