New financial regulations for retirees: Nearly a third of expats may have to leave - but half on Facebook say they're off!

webfact

6 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Latin America i have been there, months, two times.

And back in Asia !

In Latin America yes spanish, music, open mind, fiesta, easy contacts everywhere anytime, etc.

BUT 

- Terribly noisy everywhere (like klaxon in Cartagena good luck with that, drives me crazy),

- Hotels way lower standards (small beds, no hot water, in many places even so-called 4 stars booking hotel) ; privacy very low.

- Total misery to rent a condo or a house monthly, no scooter to rent.

- Insecurity

- Very few massages options (i mean massage).

Every country has bonus and malus...

And everyone his basic requirements : for me the noise is a no stay, and the extreme difficulty to rent a place and a vehicule monthly, with trust too, is a "difficult to stay when you got use to easy Thailand for that" ????

Hard to have everything ????

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam would be the place if you like trees, good food, all the restaurant chains, good accommodations, easy 1 year tourist visas for Americans and a bunch more countries like France, Germany, Russia etc. 

5 minutes ago, Whyamiandwhatamidoinghere said:

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam would be the place if you like trees, good food, all the restaurant chains, good accommodations, easy 1 year tourist visas for Americans and a bunch more countries like France, Germany, Russia etc. 

Have been and no but thanks ????

Terrible traffic and terrible noise. Interesting to visit, i have had a lot of good contacts with locals, but really no way to live there ????

• Like 1

BTW i'm surprised noise is not talked about in many forum and blog, i have hard time to know before. Like Philippines too : they are mad with klaxon. Personally i just CAN NOT LIVE (no i'm not yelling i explain better ???? ) in permanent vacarm. 

For that, Thailand is very good, not noisy.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

People moving to Cambodia are either lazy, in love with dirty SE Asia, unable to buy a $2000 ticket to Latin America, or feeding an addiction that they know will be catered to in Cambodia. There’s no other logical reason to live in that crap hole, especially when there are better options. Cambodia is where you go when you flunk out of Pattaya.

Or just they don't speak Spanish, Portuguese, English... !

You can live in Cambodia or Laos while speaking Thai, if you stay not too far of the border.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:37 AM, spidermike007 said:

It does appear that this administration, and especially the biggest joke, are trying to do everything in their power to discourage ex-pats from staying here. Does it not? These imbeciles should be making our lives easier, and making visa policy simpler. Rather they seem to be tightening the noose, every chance they get. To call them ignorant, fearful, xenophobic, non-visionary, and misguided would be a vast understatement. Biggest Joke said he would make things easier and simpler. He is doing just the opposite, and barely even disguising his contempt for foreigners. He is the single biggest threat to the ex-pat community right now. 

One can only hope that come election time, all of this nonsense will be over, and both Prayuth and especially the biggest joke, will be sent out to pasture for the rest of their lives. They are not doing anything that benefits their nation, and they are picking on good men, who are bringing a lot to the table. Dumb and dumber. What can one say? 

-

Edited by AtoZ

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maybe in Cartagena as a tourist as it's a major tourist destination. I'm looking at more locals type places.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I think I've told you this before. but my family home in Guadalajara. 

It's beautiful, good climate, lots of english, low crime (by Mexican standards) easy access to the US, direct flights to San Diego and Los Angeles

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

For someone 'not crying' about it you sure whine a lot. 

Accept it or <deleted> off !

It's hard to know what we are accepting or not accepting when the authorities have not even released clear enforcement instructions on for examples the combo method without embassy letters and the new all year seasoning scheme. I'll let you know whether I "accept" them or not if and when that happens. 

2 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Latin America i have been there, months, two times.

And back in Asia !

In Latin America yes spanish, music, open mind, fiesta, easy contacts everywhere anytime, etc.

BUT 

- Terribly noisy everywhere (like klaxon in Cartagena good luck with that, drives me crazy),

- Hotels way lower standards (small beds, no hot water, in many places even so-called 4 stars booking hotel) ; privacy very low.

- Total misery to rent a condo or a house monthly, no scooter to rent.

- Insecurity

- Very few massages options (i mean massage).

Every country has bonus and malus...

And everyone his basic requirements : for me the noise is a no stay, and the extreme difficulty to rent a place and a vehicule monthly, with trust too, is a "difficult to stay when you got use to easy Thailand for that" ????

Hard to have everything ????

Well, Latin America is a big place and there are great differences in culture between different countries. I've been many places there including some long stays and the two places I could imagine living in as far as enjoying life are Buenos Aires (but have ruled out Argentina for complex reasons) and Lima Peru mostly for the food, but I'm hoping to find better options in Colombia. My point is that people have different tastes as well as visa qualifying limitations

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

Too bad this policy doesn't get rid of English teachers. 

Yes Thailand is currently only the third worst country in East Asia for English proficiency. With sound ideas like yours it could probably trounce Myanmar and Cambodia in the race to the bottom in no time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cambodia or the Philippines are really the only options that I would have. The Philippines does not interest me in the slightest, but it DOES have sane visa regulations. Cambodia is a place that I quite like but fear the "medical care" that I would get there. Having enough funds to afford a trip back home to access Medicare is always an issue and my evangelical-minded family has more or less told me that I could take a flying flip into the "Lake of Fire". Those of you with caring family do not know how lucky you are.

43 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Cambodia or the Philippines are really the only options that I would have. The Philippines does not interest me in the slightest, but it DOES have sane visa regulations. Cambodia is a place that I quite like but fear the "medical care" that I would get there. Having enough funds to afford a trip back home to access Medicare is always an issue and my evangelical-minded family has more or less told me that I could take a flying flip into the "Lake of Fire". Those of you with caring family do not know how lucky you are.

That's rather sad.

I think those of us that do have strong family ties, be it children, aunts, uncles, cousins...most of us are too old to have living parents, often underestimate the importance of family.

One of those things you don't appreciate unless its lost

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

Seems like you might want to listen to their point of view. For them to make a "Lake of Fire" comment says you aren't leading as good of a life as you could/should. Consider listening to them.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, AtoZ said:

I'm European who spent 5 years in Australia. I applied for visa in total 2 times. Online and very easy, straight forward.

I'm law abiding citizen and follow rules. I never felt the need to read AustralianVisa.com website on daily basis in case some Joker decides to make a power move.

I hate feeling like a criminal, because I'm not. My only crime is meeting my girlfriend 4 years ago who I deeply love and I'm fortunate to be young with an online business enabling me to live anywhere. But if not my gf I would say to Thailand - F good buy and move to Vietnam or Philippines.

I don't even spend so much time in Thailand... about 6 months a year, while travelling together the other 6 months. But they still make it like "do you work here???!!!!" "what you do here???!!!!" like if it's your F dream to go working for peanuts in 3rd world country.

The thing is that you are almost demanding that Thailand treat you differently than many western countries.  You talk about your business and being able to support her.  In many western countries (I will use mine as an example Canada) the one being sponsored is not the one that is responsible - and thus your financial status etc. is irrelevant.  If I were to sponsor my wife/fiance I have to provide the government with a complete history of my employment or show other means as to how I am going to be financially responsible for the sponsorship (i.e. investments income).  I as a sponsor would be responsible for them for a given set of years (it use to be 10, but I think it is much less now).  Even if I were to get divorced, I would still be considered a sponsor and therefore financially responsible in all cases (including reimbursing government etc. for anything including healthcare).  If I did not have the means, it would almost certainly be rejected - even if the person I married had money (they would have to apply for entry under other means - i.e. investment class).  To live together in marriage one of you would have to have the means to sponsor the other and the country you lived would have to be the one that had the means to sponsor. 

Simply put, you are demanding from Thailand that since you married a local you should be allowed to stay indefinitely - something your home country would not likely extend if the situation were reversed. 

It is a little arrogant for westerners to demand of Thailand something that would not be in their home country.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KhunFred said:

You cannot rely in taking a trip back to access medicare -- especially for emergency services.  Medivac services can easily cost $100,000 back from this region home (assuming the west).  If I did not have the funds to self-insure, or the insurance to cover it, I would not want nor allow my family to cover the costs which my choice to gamble on being healthy enough to live in the place of my choosing.  IMHO, It is rather selfish to expect others to pay for your choices. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

IMHO, It is rather selfish to expect others to pay for your choices. 

The people around you won't think like that and will ignore your rejection of help regardless. When someone's health is bad. People help. It's what makes us compassionate humans. It wouldn't even make a difference if you hurt yourself on purpose with no money. People still help. Crazy, I know.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2019 at 3:42 PM, bkkcanuck8 said:

The thing is that you are almost demanding that Thailand treat you differently than many western countries.

You are an idiot.

All I'm "demanding" is to follow their own dams laws. Which they often don't.

IE: "you visit Thailand too often" ... yea so what, there is no rule preventing it (as for example EU 3 months in, 3 months out)

Not to mention your whole argument is stupid.

Thailand is not western country, or a country desirable for work or sucking benefits. That's why western countries must be way more strict - it would be full with benefits leaches (well it kind of is already) and illegal workers (there is approx 200,000 illegal Thais working JUST in South Korea).

How many Thais can go to 1st world country for 6+ months a year with outside income? Close to zero.

Edited by AtoZ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AtoZ said:

You are an idiot.

All I'm "demanding" is to follow their own dams laws. Which they often don't.

IE: "you visit Thailand too often" ... yea so what, there is no rule preventing it (as for example EU 3 months in, 3 months out)

Not to mention your whole argument is stupid.

Thailand is not western country, or a country desirable for work or sucking benefits. That's why western countries must be way more strict - it would be full with benefits leaches (well it kind of is already) and illegal workers (there is approx 200,000 illegal Thais working JUST in South Korea).

How many Thais can go to 1st world country for 6+ months a year with outside income? Close to zero.

Exactly, the amount of times I have had to personally explain this is unreal. It's obvious isn't it! Everybody who stays here do so on their own dime. 

Do the Thai immigration really think that there are thousands of westerners working here illegally for a pittance??

• Confused 1

Anyone starting reading this thread now will be wondering how far off topic moderators allow comments to go. ????

As far as the original topic goes, keyboard warriors say a lot of things in 'surveys' and on line they don't believe.

33pct or 50pct of expats are not leaving Thailand. Or if they do they will be replaced by others looking to live the dream and who at least have more than the cost of living in their pockets. The good life here is still available, even for retired farang couples, trust me (I'm maybe a millionaire, but only in Baht). ???? 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2019 at 11:37 PM, spidermike007 said:

It does appear that this administration, and especially the biggest joke, are trying to do everything in their power to discourage ex-pats from staying here. Does it not? These imbeciles should be making our lives easier, and making visa policy simpler. Rather they seem to be tightening the noose, every chance they get. To call them ignorant, fearful, xenophobic, non-visionary, and misguided would be a vast understatement. Biggest Joke said he would make things easier and simpler. He is doing just the opposite, and barely even disguising his contempt for foreigners. He is the single biggest threat to the ex-pat community right now. 

One can only hope that come election time, all of this nonsense will be over, and both Prayuth and especially the biggest joke, will be sent out to pasture for the rest of their lives. They are not doing anything that benefits their nation, and they are picking on good men, who are bringing a lot to the table. Dumb and dumber. What can one say? 

It is easy to fool the Thai people, commit massive corruption and tell all kinds of lies when there are no foreigners around to question them.

Pretty clear cut this is the plan.

People do not get into politics for the fun of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stud858 said:

They kinda do. The Clause, at the discretion of officer covers it all

You either follow the rules or you don’t. “Kinda” doesn’t work for immigration policy.

When each Somchai with a stamp can interpret the rules and determine your future in a country, it’s a bad decision to stay there. 

You are an idiot.

They are trying to weed out the ones who are not genuine tourists, I.e. come here for long term stay or multiple entries disguised as genuine tourism.
There are appropriate visas suitable for acceptable circumstance. If you dont fit the (genuine) criteria they can rightly refuse entry.
Just the same as any country, it's their game played by their rules to satisfy their requirements not yours, which to them are irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 2/4/2019 at 5:58 AM, Sheryl said:

I suspect there will be a significant decrease in retirement extensions, though. Those who qualify will go for extension based on marriage instead. Those who spend a few months each year back in their home countries will go for O-A visas or METVs instead.  Makes total sense in both cases. 

Since nothing has been done about agents & corruption, the least affected people will be those with insufficient income. 

For the remainder, this is an annoyance and also shakes confidence about the future a bit (i. e. what other major changes will be unexpectedly sprung in the future, with no grandfathering of people already here?).  It will go onto the "con" side of the ledger of pros and cons  of living here but I doubt it will by itself be a reason for many to leave. It could be the last straw for those already considering it, though. And likely will deter future arrivals.

What about those retirees who can get a letter confirming income from their embassy.?  Is there anything in the new rules that says it won't be accepted? 

Rules or exchange rates, i think its both.

Retiree rates should be 'on average' of say 10 years of exchange rates margins.

If people can 'get by' the stats and figures would be much better.

What about those retirees who can get a letter confirming income from their embassy.?  Is there anything in the new rules that says it won't be accepted? 
Not if your income is at least 65k monthly. Otherwise you would need to try a combo method application. The enforcement rules for those are currently unclear as far as the seasoning rules for the bank portion. Enforcement will vary office to office. Also some offices may not accept combo applications at all such as Jomtien.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2