Australian ‘red notice’ led to arrest of Bahrain footballer: Don

webfact

AN idiot Australian Federal Police Officer passed the red notice to the Thai authorities. The guy should be sacked but, needless to say, we have heard nothing more of that. Thailand does not have an extradition treaty with Bahrain so is under no obligation to extradite him. If the Thai authorities were at all honourable and not influenced by other factors they would have sent him back to Australia weeks ago!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

No. Not easy. His crimes of arson and vandalism were committed in Bahrain. That is where he should be returned to. The fact the Australia gave the nod to have him arrested attests to the credibility and seriousness of his despicable crimes. And also gives credence to the legal trial that convicted him. Send him back to Bahrain, let him serve his sentence, then he can go on holiday to Australia or for work whatever(as a free man).

The notion that criminals can run abroad to soft touch countries (Canada and Oz) and seek asylum from their criminal sentences is a disgrace. That this guy flaunted his run and hide game made it even worse.

You might want to go live in beautiful Bahrein, under the watchful five eyes of Big Brother, and see how much you, and especially your wife, enjoys it. 

I wouldn't call "soft touch countries' places like Canada and Australia, unless you refer to the material they are made of, them being nothing more than the doormats of the empire, and certainly not real countries. 

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

No. Not easy. His crimes of arson and vandalism were committed in Bahrain. That is where he should be returned to. The fact the Australia gave the nod to have him arrested attests to the credibility and seriousness of his despicable crimes. And also gives credence to the legal trial that convicted him. Send him back to Bahrain, let him serve his sentence, then he can go on holiday to Australia or for work whatever(as a free man).

The notion that criminals can run abroad to soft touch countries (Canada and Oz) and seek asylum from their criminal sentences is a disgrace. That this guy flaunted his run and hide game made it even worse.

Umh, apparently the crimes of which he was convicted were committed, whilst he was also playing in a football match, which was being broadcast on TV! 

An astonishingly resourceful young man. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

How do some red notices work and some don't, i.e. every one Thailand appears to issue seams to disappear never to be seen again???? 

Only Interpol can issue the appropriate notice, in this case RED.  Thailand haven't issued red notices.  They can only apply to Interpol to do so.  In the main, their applications have been rejected.  i.e. the Shinawatras.  

As far as I know, the 'Red Bull' guy does have a red notice against him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

You might want to go live in beautiful Bahrein, under the watchful five eyes of Big Brother, and see how much you, and especially your wife, enjoys it. 

I wouldn't call "soft touch countries' places like Canada and Australia, unless you refer to the material they are made of, them being nothing more than the doormats of the empire, and certainly not real countries. 

Aren't they?

Do,do tell-intelligent wizard you are not.You would barely past muster as a cadet reporter on the Bullamakanka Times..

Ah Thailand-the home of foreign intellectual  sprats rusticating in a tiny (and forgotten) pond.

• Like 1

Send hin back Australia  have their own nationals  to take care of first. He should never been given  citizen ship in the first place with  and interpol warrant out forhim

Send him back put real.aussies first

42 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

The Interpol Red Notice seems like a lot of 'Red Bull' to me...RTP can get this guy in a heartbeat...yet they cant get a little ar**hole that commits manslaughter,and is running around freely in London.T.I.T.

Who cancelled the red notice on red bull boy? Interpol, Thailand or is it still live but just not on the website?

Not sure he's still in London. The Met would certainly act on a red notice if he was there and it was still live.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sgoodes said:

Yeah funny hey cos now they are threatening Thailand with economic sanctions if they dont send him back to Oz. Talk about hypocrites. But that's our government for you.

What else can we expect when you look at the wasted spaces that we call politicians, Slo Mo is at the top of the list

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Criminals? Has he been convicted? 

Yes, can't you read?   

'Bahrain, which issued an arrest warrant after finding him guilty of criminal charges in 2014, learnt about his overseas trip and requested Thailand to detain him, Don said'.

3 hours ago, khunJeroen said:

This issue seems much bugger in Thai media than it really is. In Europe, nobody heard about it, even in SG people hardly bother. I also think most Thais don't care as long as he leaves.

CNN Had a lead feature on this the other day.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikosan said:

Yes, can't you read?   

'Bahrain, which issued an arrest warrant after finding him guilty of criminal charges in 2014, learnt about his overseas trip and requested Thailand to detain him, Don said'.

Yes, can’t you read?

He was convicted minutes after the courts were told he was playing football in a ‘televised’ match. 

• Like 2

Look at the history of this case.

He said that he went to the Thai Consulate in Melbourne to ask if it was safe to go to Thailand and he claims he was informed that it would be safe. Did he notify Australian Immigration that he wanted to travel outside of Australia and therefore receive the Australian travel documents for a refugee? These documents give the same protection as an Australian passport gives an Australian citizen. He was arrested in Bahrain for his criminal activity but he was released on bail and he left the country and did not appear at his court hearing so he did not submit anything in his defense of the alleged crimes. He was therefore convicted and sentenced for those crimes. It has not been said where he was travelling to or where he was travelling from but it was said that he was arrested on arrival at Bangkok enroute back to Australia. Bahrain did have an arrest warrant issued against this man that was registered with Interpol. The "Red Notice" would have gone up when he went through Australian Immigration at his departure point and that would have registered on the Interpol system which would indicate that Australia has issued the "Red Notice" when it would be an automatic thing. His biggest mistake was that he did not ensure his own safety when he left the sanctuary of Australia. Now everyone is blaming Australia, Thailand, Australian Federal Police, everyone except the man that has caused all these problems and that is the man himself for leaving the safety of Australia. 

As for the shackles it is common practice not only in Thailand for prisoners being transported between the remand centre and the courts to be shackled.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, can’t you read?

He was convicted minutes after the courts were told he was playing football in a ‘televised’ match. 

You miss my point.  Your comment read 'Criminals? Has he been convicted?'  The answer to that was yes, as the article clearly stated.  The why's and wherefore's, rights or wrongs were not what I was commenting on and whether or not the court was told he was playing football in a televised match is irrelevant to the question at hand.  He was convicted.

Now if you want to get into a discussion on whether he was rightly convicted or not, I imagine we will both agree that it would seem not. 

•  

4 minutes ago, mikosan said:

You miss my point.  Your comment read 'Criminals? Has he been convicted?'  The answer to that was yes, as the article clearly stated.  The why's and wherefore's, rights or wrongs were not what I was commenting on and whether or not the court was told he was playing football in a televised match is irrelevant to the question at hand.  He was convicted.

Now if you want to get into a discussion on whether he was rightly convicted or not, I imagine we will both agree that it would seem not. 

•  

Well done. And now where do we go with this information? How does this change anything?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikosan said:

•  

But, he was rightfully convicted because he failed to appear at his court hearing and present any evidence that would have proved him innocent. This also is what is needed in most other countries in court hearings. If you do not appear at the court to defend yourself then it is left open to the court to only be able to consider one side of the evidence

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

His crimes of arson and vandalism were committed in Bahrain.

His crime was to speak out against the regime. The rest is made up. Opposing the government gets you convicted, typically on bogus charges, in Bahrain. That happens to political activists who go against the Bahraini government, and is well documented (check Amnesty International). This is exactly also why he was granted refugee status in Australia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marc651 said:

Yes sure it would be very wise to show up to hear a fabricated story to which you have no possible defense, in  a corrupt court, corrupt country with corrupt government that has a motive to put you away and a history in similar cases. Next step is to get tortured, and locked up indefinitely.  You would show up to "defend" yourself?

It is good to know that you were there with this man and can swear that he did not commit these acts. You cannot swear beyond any reasonable doubt that this man did not commit these acts unless you were standing beside this man the whole time that it was claimed that he did it. There are many activists in the world doing damage to many things and destroying lives. You can only assume that he did not do the things, you cannot prove it.

• Confused 2

"Make sure you get a good shot of me," says this cop-and-a-half, keeping a firm hold of refugee and keen to demonstrate the new, improved and BIGGER standard issue cop-pod. Vastly overweight . . . like the 'force' itself.

c1_1624094_620x413.jpg

• Like 1