New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having read these various visa change threads over the past few weeks. The one thing that astounds me it the way those who have the resources to meet these recent changes have turned on those who cannot. 

The western expat community should be ashamed by lack of solidarity shown to others who are less fortunate then themselves in their community.  We have a lot to learn from the sizable Chinese and Indian communities which support each other in Thailand. 

No wonder immigration can make us jump willingly through so many hoops when we turn on each other at the earliest opportunity. 

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Well now the two of you can enjoy retirement in the UK Midlands Black Country when your current Thai visas have run out.

3 months Vietnam VISA $50, 1 Year Cambodia Retirement VISA $300, 3 month Malaysia Waiver on entry free, 1 month Philippines waiver on entry free (extendable for 3 years).

No need to ever return to the Midlands, plenty of places to stay in SEA easier than Thailand.

32 minutes ago, jonesthepost said:

If he is on UK. state pension and he is 90 his pension is frozen so he will still be getting the same pension rate of  1987. So the UK. are party to blame.  

Exactly,I'm "ONLY 70 " & My State Pension is FROZEN,I've been told by the Pensions office in the U.K ( By Letter ) What I Got the 1st Month I Will get until the day I Leave this mortal coil.....And That's Ya LOT....

32 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I simply don't understand what the problem seems to be.
a)  Show an income of 65k a month;

or

b) 800k in the bank.

Two options.  Both simple.  If you can't meet one or the other, then you shouldn't be here in the first place. 

Keep in mind, it's THEIR country.  THEY make the rules.  We either live by them, or we don't live here.  

Two options.  Both simple.  If you can't meet one or the other, then you shouldn't be here in the first place. Well I Can't meet either,So Should I Just " Go Back " HOME " & Leave my THAI Wife of 26 Years in the Rice Fields ????? "

8 minutes ago, maprao said:

Couldn't have put it better mokwit!

Just1voice's day will come . 200k became 400k then 800k....time will tell.

Never be condescending or happy with others misfortunes because soon they may be yours

I'm not worried about the money in the bank.  My Social Security and Veterans Administration pensions combined are more than double the monthly 65k income requirement.  And they go up ever year, so I feel fairly secure. 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

It's just not fair, what am I supposed to do? It doesn't matter that Thailand has one of the easiest, cheapest, retirement visa in a favored retirement destination,

That's just a lie (see #95).

Thailand now has one of the most expensive VISA requirements in SEA.

It's not enough for you as a 'boaster and gloater' to look down on everyone else, but you need to lie as well!

What's wrong with you?

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Would be interesting to follow some of these (sad) stories. What does a 90 (or 70 or 80) year old do returning to say the UK.  With limited funds can you rent a home? would any Council provide you with a home? Do you get off the plane homeless (in -9C weather).

This "sad story" is going to be played out every month as older retired western expat visas come due.  These people are not living in cardboard boxes on street corners.  They are occupying apartments and condos living a comfortable productive life while supporting local Thai businesses.  

They can easily afford to live in Thailand but don't have 800,000 baht to deposit in a Thai bank nor the 65,000 baht a month they can have sent to a Thai bank.  These people are not low lifes as a few pompous posters have suggested.  

Another group of expats immigration is seeking out is the western expat in hospitals, assisted living homes, and under home care.  Can you imagine what it would be like to go from a hospital bed to an international flight with layovers back to a country you hardly know anymore.  

Are these the bad guys immigration is seeking to purge?  I think not but evidently they think so.  My heart goes out to these people as they are being forced to leave Thailand. ????     

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

I'm not worried about the money in the bank.  My Social Security and Veterans Administration pensions combined are more than double the monthly 65k income requirement.  And they go up ever year, so I feel fairly secure. 

So that gives you the right to look down on others ?

3 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I am so happy for you. Thanks for sharing that. You are a shining example we all should revere and follow. 

2 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

Can't see what all the fuss is about. The 800,000 baht rule hasn't changed.....merely a tightening of how it is applied. Go home if you can't afford it.

Everyone should bookmark this post and remember....If anything happens to you we can all remember not to bother to shed a tear. ????

Looking down on someone because they aren't cashed up? Wow....

2 hours ago, mokwit said:
2 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Let’s make it clear “the 65k a month retirement extension will no longer be an option “ you all got that ????

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

No we have not because Thai Immigration have said in writing that it is.

And the British embassy said it would be an option way back in October. But many would not listen. Even called them liars. 

The only people leaving are the ones who should never have been here, if you are retired and do not have a measly 800k stay at home or go home. One thing I can respect the Thais for is their no nonsense immigration policies, no endless appeals to courts or human rights laws here. Sob stories will not change anything.

1 hour ago, Rugon said:

He can't complain, he's had a more than average innings. If he doesn't have family/friends here that he can borrow 15k to get a visa through an agent, then he really shouldn't be here as he must have gone delally.

Mr farlang , 

Due to recent events beyond our control ,  we reluctantly have to increase our fees to K20, THB.

Be assured you will continue to receive our best professional service . 

kind regards , your agent  { and mine ]

7 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Everyone should bookmark this post and remember....If anything happens to you we can all remember not to bother to shed a tear. ????

Looking down on someone because they aren't cashed up? Wow....

And ALL Us Poorer Pensioners will NOT have a " Go Fund Me " Page set up for Him Either !!

Some of you seem to think I don't care about the people who can't meet the requirements, and nothing could be further from the truth.  I am very sympathetic to their plight, and feel sorry for most of them.  Some have been here for years and have families that they may be forced to abandon, and no one really wants to see that happen, least of all, me.  

But the bottom line is: it's their country, and they make the rules.  If someone can't abide by those rules, or live within them, then they will have little to no choice but to leave, sad as that may be.  

Personally, I have a good friend who has lied about his income for over 10 years, and now it's going to bite him in the butt and force him out.  I hate to see him go, but he knew the possible consequences when he started playing the game.  

1 minute ago, Nong Khai Man said:

O.K I'll just leave My Wife to The Rice Field......"How Bloody DARE You "

Why react to such idiocy? It's clear that the kind of people who make these comments need the boost. Don't give them the satisfaction of feeling that they got to you.

Commune with the good people instead.

5 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

The only people leaving are the ones who should never have been here, if you are retired and do not have a measly 800k stay at home or go home. One thing I can respect the Thais for is their no nonsense immigration policies, no endless appeals to courts or human rights laws here. Sob stories will not change anything.

if you are retired and do not have a measly 800k......Well I Can always put "My Wifes House in the Bank to raise a LOT More than that " Job Done !!

2 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Some of you seem to think I don't care about the people who can't meet the requirements, and nothing could be further from the truth.  I am very sympathetic to their plight, and feel sorry for most of them.  Some have been here for years and have families that they may be forced to abandon, and no one really wants to see that happen, least of all, me.  

But the bottom line is: it's their country, and they make the rules.  If someone can't abide by those rules, or live within them, then they will have little to no choice but to leave, sad as that may be.  

Personally, I have a good friend who has lied about his income for over 10 years, and now it's going to bite him in the butt and force him out.  I hate to see him go, but he knew the possible consequences when he started playing the game.  

Sorry, but no one here is going to fall for your false platitudes. Your good friend? Why not lend him the money?

I doubt that you have any real friends.

2 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Why react to such idiocy? It's clear that the kind of people who make these comments need the boost. Don't give them the satisfaction of feeling that they got to you.

Commune with the good people instead.

" The <deleted>**er " Just Annoyed me,But only Temporary !!

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

Sorry, but no one here is going to fall for your false platitudes. Your good friend? Why not lend him the money?

I doubt that you have any real friends.

You don't know me, or my friends, so your ignorance is showing. lol

I simply don't understand what the problem seems to be.
a)  Show an income of 65k a month;
or
b) 800k in the bank.

Two options.  Both simple.  If you can't meet one or the other, then you shouldn't be here in the first place. 

Keep in mind, it's THEIR country.  THEY make the rules.  We either live by them, or we don't live here.  
Neither simple with the new bank changes and especially income particularly combo method if you can't get an embassy letter. Onerous actually.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived