Clock Ticking On Junta Party’s PM Offer To Prayuth

webfact

54 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Hands forced.

True colours shown.

Battle lines clearly defined.

This was just hors d'oeuvres.

Visa regs should now be the last concern.

Getting out.....the first.

Or at least set your ATM cards on highest withdraw limit ….just in case :whistling:...:wink:...:biggrin:

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

If he is lucky, he may still get a position with the Privy Council. 

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Seems to be standard career progression around here.

Always the plan.

There is a certain role which rather goes with the job. Aficionados of the "Blackadder sagas (series 3 I think) will understand. 

41 minutes ago, Eligius said:

However, I (and others) have long predicted that this year will see outbreaks (limited in scale, but even so) of popular opposition (to put it mildly) ...

And that may just be the catalyst...

24 minutes ago, david555 said:

Or at least set your ATM cards on highest withdraw limit ….just in case :whistling:...:wink:...:biggrin:

But your 400K is now stuck in a Thai bank permanently for visa renewal. Is something about to happen with the banks because of all of this?

4 minutes ago, zydeco said:

But your 400K is now stuck in a Thai bank permanently for visa renewal. Is something about to happen with the banks because of all of this?

If really became that bad or dangerous would you still mind your extension..?:whistling:

About the banks …. not special , but in a turmoil all is not normal anymore 

1 minute ago, david555 said:

If really became that bad or dangerous would you still mind your extension..?:whistling:

About the banks …. not special , but in a turmoil all is not normal anymore 

I would mind my money being confiscated. Never mind the extension. How do you get out of town, if they've taken over your bank account?

6 minutes ago, zydeco said:

I would mind my money being confiscated. Never mind the extension. How do you get out of town, if they've taken over your bank account?

Hence I talk about your card limit …. and …. be quick …. getting away ? = …. money talks and cash is always king and can not be blocked as our plastic or accounts ..

6 minutes ago, david555 said:

Hence I talk about your card limit …. and …. be quick …. getting away ? = …. money talks and cash is always king and can not be blocked as your plastic or accounts ..

Yes, but to be clear. We are now in month five of a policy implementation by Immigration to get people from UK, US, Australia to move funds for retirement into Thai banks. I imagine there has already been some stacking of money due to seasoning requirements and mandated account levels. Conversely, funds outside Thailand have already been either fully or somewhat depleted by most for renewal. Now, the money is here. What happens if a crisis results in the government "taking measures" to keep banks solvent during a time of disruption.

6 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Yes, but to be clear. We are month five of policy implementation by Immigration to get people from UK, US, Australia to move funds for retirement into Thai banks. I imagine there has already been some stacking of money due to seasoning requirements and mandated account levels. Conversely, funds outside Thailand have already been either fully or somewhat depleted by most for renewal. Now, the money is here. What happens if a crisis results in the government "taking measures" to keep banks solvent during a time of disruption.

Understand your remark or point , my advice for the max limit is only thing as a precaution , and BTW  you do not have to witdrawl unless really needed …but the max. limit is set already then  !!, and in a 1.5 year also the max . protection for your money goes down to 1 million baht ….,

(I am just a financial protection minded guy ...anybody must do what he /she likes best ..)

28 minutes ago, zydeco said:

What happens if a crisis results in the government "taking measures" to keep banks solvent during a time of disruption.

And what happens if your nose turns upside down and you drown in the next rain storm?

the build up to a revolution would surely mean increased local angst and your local nationslists will turn into loud venting control freaks, there will be huge disruptions to the financial system its just how the nationalists will affect the foreigners because in the end the revolution wil be won by the 50 million who live under the glass ceilling.

Whatever happens from now that erupted earthquake will help shift so many peoples minds especially at the lowest ranks of society, who will start to see things in a far different way. This is something we cant underestimate for one of the reasons of doing this without knowing the direct conclusion of the outcome.Which will be on monday and friday. When they make decisions on people and maybe parties.

21 minutes ago, bowerboy said:

I think absolutely nothing will happen from the people....the only thing that has changed is that the Junta’s position has now strengthened exponentially...

I have a lot of sympathy with your viewpoint (I am sure that many posters here are rather bored with my laments that the Thais just keep on taking it all without demur); but I do think there will be quite vociferous objections (from admittedly a very small number of the Thai population) after the 'election' and its foregone result. I think that yesterday's extraordinary developments will kindle even greater anger (the implications are, after all, very striking and pretty historic). So I don't think things will continue quite as quietly as they have over the past five years: I think we can expect to see some pretty riotous and unpleasant scenes.

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

imo There were some on here that figured having a shin proxy would solve all their visa problems imo I believe it wouldn't have made a lick of a difference to the extension regs.  Even Mother Theresa's ghost winning the election won't change the new visa rules now.

There have been some extraordinary comments here lately.

It was Thaksin who quadrupled the minimum required in the bank for retirees from 200,000 baht to 800,000 baht.

The name of his parties always appeal to nationalism.

Pheua Thai- For Thais

Thai Raksa Chart - Thais Preserve the Nation

Pheua Chart- For the Nation

And of course before there was Thai Rak Thai- Thais love Thai

Thaksin doesn't give a flying monkey about farangs.

39 minutes ago, bannork said:

I think the jubilation was because somebody who's been a hausfrau in California for 26 years might have a bit better understanding of the suffering of the western male than a dinosaur of an army general in a 3rd world hole, not so much about the shin connection.

3 hours ago, vinniekintana said:

In the extremely unlikely senario there's a low-level civil war, I'm still staying put.

And I'll be the first out of the door. Not worth getting caught in the crossfire for .. well nothing but memory of Thailand's glory days, really.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

It was Thaksin who quadrupled the minimum required in the bank for retirees from 200,000 baht to 800,000 baht.

Pheua Thai- For Thais

Nothing wrong with making sure expats have some money in the bank. 

He came up with the thai elite visa, without that many people wouldn't be here anymore.

He's a businessman after all, i don't mind that, at least he came up with a way to legally stay here for under 50 yo's.

On a side note: I had originally thought watchman was the most repulsive person in Thailand (both aesthetically and as a person)...but a new contender has emerged with this Leader of the People Reform Party that is filing the complaints to the EC...should go the dentist for starters

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Pheua Thai- For Thais

people were grandfathered and the 800k didnt stop the influx of foreigners especially after the financial crisis.

but what these nationalists have done now and recent past:

tried changing negatively the foreign business act= stock market tanks

tried restricting foreign capital= stock market tanks

7 years hyped up

crowds by saying out with foreigners

4 years ago made 500,000 burmese/cambodians flee to the borders

introduced the grass-a-foreigner hotline

dusted off out of date home reporting, where by an huge increase in home visits

ended some embassy pension letters who would have the largest amount of people using those services

increased rules on money in banks over 12 months not 3 months

nightly news in x-ray outlaws 1000 mass murderers rounded up 

condo buildings being raided and all foreign inhabitants are not allowed to leave until they prove their legal

business's being randomly checked

i missed a few other details but you seem to enjoy the junta/nationalists rule over a free democratically elected government, lets just leave it at that

38 minutes ago, humbug said:

people were grandfathered and the 800k didnt stop the influx of foreigners especially after the financial crisis.

7 years hyped up

ended some embassy pension letters who would have the largest amount of people using those services

condo buildings being raided and all foreign inhabitants are not allowed to leave until they prove their legal

i missed a few other details but you seem to enjoy the junta/nationalists rule over a free democratically elected government, lets just leave it at that

I certainly do not enjoy the junta, I've been watching Voice TV the last few months, cheering on Sudarat etc. Incidentally, why did Chatchart drop out of the party list?

But for sure Thaksin is not the answer if you believe in democracy.

Why can't the red shirts and politicians move on from Thaksin? Form their own party if they believe in democracy? Could it be they depend on his money?

And now he's shot himself in the foot with this latest manoeuvre.

7 years hyped up

Oh yes the junta lead by Insecure mad general turned everything into a **** show

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I think the jubilation was because somebody who's been a hausfrau in California for 26 years might have a bit better understanding of the suffering of the western male than a dinosaur of an army general in a 3rd world hole, not so much about the shin connection.

But the hausfrau moved back to what you call a 3rd world hole a long time ago, and seemingly she has been very happy living there enjoying all the privileges accorded to her.

7 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

an exaggeration for sure but I agree many uneducated people still wanting to be able to sell their votes again..

Yes and the price for their votes is policies that benefit them --- universal healthcare for example

Archived