Players who should have had more caps for their countries

ChipButty

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Kevin Nolan deserved a full cap and never got a sniff. 

Deserved at least a couple of chances I think he would have performed best in an England shirt, one of those types I think. 

I never thought of him, always gave 100%

Michael Carrick, but we all know the reasons for that.

I think Steve Bruce was always thought of as too slow. If you consider the likes of Adams, Campbell and Pallister played ahead of him, I have no problem with that.

Same with Le Tissier and Cole. Le Tis was amazing but lacked any pace.... there were some great strikers around at that time.. Shearer, Sheringham, Wright, Owen.... that is the reason these guys didn't play more. Same with Cantona to be honest - can you really argue he should have been in the French team when they won the WC in 1998? Would have been brilliant to see him in Euro 96 though, around his peak! 

8 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

And again with Zola... he was a great player, but let's think about who was keeping him out of the side. Vialli and Ravanelli were winning Scudettos and European Cups, so was Roberto Baggio. 

Baggio and Del Piero as well as Inzaghi

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

Kevin Nolan deserved a full cap and never got a sniff. 

Deserved at least a couple of chances I think he would have performed best in an England shirt, one of those types I think. 

Agreed. He could have played for ROI through a grandparent but turned them down because he wanted to play for England. He didn't even get an U21 cap. Gary O'Neill was always picked ahead of him by coach David Platt. Ironically O'Neill is now one of our star players; if you can have star players when 2nd from bottom of the Championship.

Up The Whites!!

27 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Anti-United bias... favouritism of Gerrard and Lampard, the refusal to give up on a partnership which never delivered.

Complete balderdash, if I might say so. If you are English and play for Utd you play for England. Alan Smith - I rest my case.

28 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Anti-United bias... favouritism of Gerrard and Lampard, the refusal to give up on a partnership which never delivered.

There was no anti United bias imho but i think you are absolutely correct on the refusal to give up on a partnership which never delivered.  Carrick was ridiculously under used by England.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Long tradition of mavericks that Ingerlund cast aside. 

Le Tissier

Rodney Marsh

Stan Bowles

Tony Currie

Charlie George

Frank Worthington

And so on

You could have a good night on the tiles with that lot.

34 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Although it wasnt really a partnership , it was trying to fit both players into the same team , moving one of the players out of position .

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Mark Noble must be one of the best un-capped English players. 

I agree with you mate. Maybe not so much now, but 4-5 years ago Noble was a very underrated player. Quick, tigerish midfielder who was a very good passer and not afraid to mix it either. 

8 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Maybe that was their problem, Stan I knew very well and his sister 

He could pass a ball but couldn't pass a bookies. One of his managers said that.

Worst competitor ever on Superstars (google it).

Archived