The Latest Info on Retirement Visas from Immigrations

I need the straight dope. NONE......and I do mean NONE of the so-called "visa services" are answering email inquiries, though they all have provisions to do that. I need to know if I can be helped. Money is not really the issue, since I make more than enough to satisfy the requirements for a visa: Either retirement or marriage, I do plan to do the marriage route, despite the hassles, Half my income is in the USA and half is in a Thai bank. At least two You-Tube video services have told me that i am screwed, to find another country;. I am willing to talk with any knowledgeable human, using the private message feature, as long as they are not selling snake oil. I have plenty of time, since I don't renew until October. With the arrangements I have made already, this has the potential of ruining my life. if anyone can at least point me in the right direction. it would be a livesaver (quite literally). I can get nothing but insults and comments like (you should have planned more carefully. If you have suggestions, I;m listening to any privage message you may have. This is a situation with truly horrible consequestions, which I won't go into.. If you have suggestions, I am likely to be awake since I have not slept in three days. I will never put my fate into the hands of a Thai again. Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

I need the straight dope. NONE......and I do mean NONE of the so-called "visa services" are answering email inquiries, though they all have provisions to do that. I need to know if I can be helped. Money is not really the issue, since I make more than enough to satisfy the requirements for a visa: Either retirement or marriage, I do plan to do the marriage route, despite the hassles, Half my income is in the USA and half is in a Thai bank. At least two You-Tube video services have told me that i am screwed, to find another country;. I am willing to talk with any knowledgeable human, using the private message feature, as long as they are not selling snake oil. I have plenty of time, since I don't renew until October. With the arrangements I have made already, this has the potential of ruining my life. if anyone can at least point me in the right direction. it would be a livesaver (quite literally). I can get nothing but insults and comments like (you should have planned more carefully. If you have suggestions, I;m listening to any privage message you may have. This is a situation with truly horrible consequestions, which I won't go into.. If you have suggestions, I am likely to be awake since I have not slept in three days. I will never put my fate into the hands of a Thai again. Thanks for any help.

The best visa service I know of is for rich engineers working for S****** but it is owned by 3 Thai women and after reading, "I will never put my fate into the hands of a Thai again."  they said, they wouldn't touch you with a ten foot pole."

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Since you have been scant on details I assume you are wanting the "straight dope" on the income method? Surely by now after so many topics you must know that nobody can give you a clear answer because nobody truly knows. You have until October, just start transferring as much "income" as you can each month (40k for marriage) making sure it shows as a foreign xfer. Over the next 2-3 months I'm pretty confident things will become more clear. At the moment confusion reigns so no point getting worked up about it yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

What extension are you currently on and how did you renew last year ? Do you have enough income coming in to a Thai account ? is 800k/400k in the bank not an option?

Not getting why you think you are in dire straits, you say you have the money, so transfer it here each month and apply in october.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, rott said:

Wiith all the confusion caused by using the wrong terminology, even at this late stage it could help if you only used the word visa where it applies.

It doesn't matter who else uses those terms, the entries in your passport do not. And they are the only relevant things.

Yes, that should read "change the paperwork I use to extend my stay on my O-A visa from that based on retirement to that based on marriage."

Thanks for the clarifications...

Edited by billsmart

1 minute ago, billsmart said:

Yes, that should read "change the paperwork I use to extend my O-A visa from that required for retirement to that required for marriage."

You tied yourself and everybody else up by insisting it was O-A not O.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I am approaching being under 800K Bht in my bank account. My extension is until January 2020... When the rules come into effect am I stuffed because I do not have funds tucked away for the three months or is there a grandfather clause till next extension application... Then I have to play by the rules?? 

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

Yes, that should read "change the paperwork I use to extend my stay on my O-A visa from that based on retirement to that based on marriage."

Didn't you write, " NO! I just looked at my old passport, and the visa I was issued in Singapore at the THAI embassy in 2004 and was an O. It doesn't say what kind of O."

So not really an O-A but an O?

• Like 1

Bill,

Thanks. this is exactly what I've been looking for.   I've been using my BoA from the beginning with BB NYC ->BB BKK savings.  I'll contact BoA tonight to see how to set up a SWIFT to my current BB BKK Savings.  Once the storm is over, I'll check back on your BoA SWIFT solution.  This would all go away if the Embassy were  to say or do something to calm the waters.  Moon

4 hours ago, skatewash said:

You can use ACH to the Bangkok Bank New York Branch up until 1 April 2019. 

Thereafter you could use SWIFT to transfer the money directly from your US bank to your Thai bank.  This would likely result in the money being received in your Thai Bangkok Bank branch with a transaction code of FTT (Foreign Telegraphic Transfer) which marks it as an international transfer.  Generally, there's a flat fee to do this from the US bank side ($0-50) and a sliding fee on the Thai side (200-500 baht).  You will get the Bangkok Bank TT buying exchange rate which is the same as you have been getting with the ACH to BB's NY Branch.

You can look into alternative US banks (or brokerages) that offer cheaper SWIFT transfers such as Fidelity ($0) and Vanguard ($10) for people with accounts at those companies.

You can use TransferWise to transfer the money from your US bank to your Thai Bank.  Mostly Bangkok Bank will record the transaction as an FTT (same as for a swift), but that's not guaranteed and it could have some other designation that would not necessarily indicate that it was an international transfer.  The exchange rate is very good (mid-market rate) but there is a fee imposed by TW that is partly based on a percentage of the funds transferred.

If you are thinking of doing this transfer to satisfy the new monthly deposit method (what has replaced the embassy letter method for the embassies that have stopped issuing those letters) then the ACH and SWIFT transfers above should work well.  The TransferWise transfers can't be guaranteed to be marked as international transfers in your Bangkok Bank passbook and therefore are problematic for demonstrating that you have international transfers every month.  No one knows at this point how important that will be to immigration when you go to get your extension of stay.

Skate,  Perfect, just what I need with little time to complete.  I've never used SWIFT or TW etc, so it's new ground.  Bank of America should be open now and I'll give them a call on the SWIFT xfer with a FTT result in my Bangkok Bank Savings Book. Thanks, Moon

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Moon37 said:

Skate,  Perfect, just what I need with little time to complete.  I've never used SWIFT or TW etc, so it's new ground.  Bank of America should be open now and I'll give them a call on the SWIFT xfer with a FTT result in my Bangkok Bank Savings Book. Thanks, Moon

If memory serves, with BoA, you're going to be paying at or near the high end of the $50 foreign wire fee range that Skatewash mentioned above. BofA, while perhaps not the most expensive of the U.S. major banks, is certainly one of the most expensive when it comes to foreign wire transfer fees.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 2:34 PM, Thaidream said:

I would concur- the last 2 pages  are a local produced document which attempts to explain the official order- IMHO- the interpretation of Phetchabun regarding  the 65K transfer is wrong-  the original police order makes it clear that this is the established income method in lieu if having an Embassy Letter

I , for one, am drafting a letter to the US Embassy  making them aware of the chaos they have helped unleash on its citizens in their reckless abandonment of the official Embassy letter.  I hope others do the same.

TD,

I agree 100%!.  If anyone is really concerned it would be appropriate to write a letter to the US Embassy. The US Embassy is here not only to conduct critical matters of State, but to support and aid US citizens as well.  (I have 9 years direct experience with two US Embassies).  The Foreign Service Officers (FSO) are above the norm who have to pass a extremely difficult screening process with a pass rate of 20 percent (4 of 5 either move on or try again).  The intent of highlighting this, is to remember that the FSOs who read your letter are professionals who do what they are told and to whom the letters should be addressed, Be courteous as they did not make the Immigration Letter decision (Secretary of State and the Ambassador coordinate such things etc). 

Just state the facts as one knows or has heard (without emotion), explain personal concern as to how this situation may be life changing if a reasonable solution cannot be found, make any positive suggestions to solve this issue and request a concrete response (actions to be done, plan, time frame, etc) by a certain date (as you might be packing out).  State if the requested response cannot be appropriately answered, to forward to the next office in the Courtesy Copy List for ACTION.  

( 1,American Citizen Services, Notary Services, 2, ACS Section Chief, 3.  Political Section, Immigration Issues Officer, 4. Chief Political/Military Section, 5.  Deputy Chief of Mission and ultimately the Ambassador. (You put the 1 through 5 Offices at the bottom of the letter stating Courtesy Copy and under the initial attention to:   Make sure to Note: Courtesty Copy Addressees listed at the bottom)

DO NOT SPEAK BAD ABOUT OUR HOST NATION.  WE ARE GUESTS AND HAVE ENJOYED THE HONOR TO SPEND OUR RETIREMENT ETC IN SUCH A FRIENDLY NATION.  (Don't write this, Just a reminder when you write).

This is just my opinion, at least write it sober.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 11:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

Nonsense

Not sure who gave you that incorrect info. Both are accepted as of now since many people can no longer get income proof from their embassy. I suggest you read this. Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income

Bill is not so smart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, legend49 said:

Bill is not so smart.

First thing one needs to do when posting about visas is figure out what visa you have "correct name."  Next is write your post to accurately reflect the topic - if immigration in "nakon nowhere" say that - if Thailand national immigration rules say that.  If posting Immigration rules say if official or an agent's translation and may or may not be accurate.  Finally post your credentials for acting as an expert or simply say I've no expertise and just another poster who dosen't speak or read Thai trying to figure out what is going on.

The above is just my opinion as I'm not a lawyer or immigration official. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2019 at 12:58 PM, thequietman said:

So, if you are only 50, are a millionaire and are financially dependent ................ then they don't want you here!

Brilliant! Fantastic! You COULD NOT make this up! Classic !

:clap2:  :cheesy:  :clap2:

If you are a millionaire, toss 800,000 in the bank and leave it there. What is the problem?

On February 10, 2019 at 11:24 AM, billsmart said:

There is no reason you should change from a Marriage to a Retirement visa unless you get a divorce. The Retirement visa is just there to accommodate ex-pats who want to live in Thailand but are not married to a Thai. Also, I've had both, and a Retirement visa has a lot less paperwork.

To begin with you keep speaking of visas. Immigrations doesn't issue retirement or marriage visas. They do give permissions to stay or extensions of permissions.

And you keep calling everything " official." 

I agree with UJ that your summation and conclusions are nonsense and this thread is a waste of time just meant to further confuse the issue.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Moon37 said:

I have 9 years direct experience with two US Embassies

I've had over 40 years experience dealing with staff in 5 different US embassies and find them to be representative of the general population ... some informed, helpful people and some clueless idiots who were obviously unqualified for useful employment.

Theyre no different from anyone else on a government payroll. Not sure why you're blathering on about them as if they were special. Most couldn't make it in the private sector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Moon37 said:

Do the Math:     65,000 THB x 12 months is 780,000 THB.  (800,000)

If my condo rent, golf and night life expenses add up to around 65,000 a month, I would transfer 65,000 THB to Bangkok every month, regardless if I had 800,000 in the bank or not.  If I had the 800,000 THB sitting in their bank and I'm still sending 780.000 (65,000) per month to live on.  So why would one go with the 800,000 route if you're going to be sending that much anyways.   My apologies to those who don't golf. 

I agree, most of us spend 65k a month anyway and can transfer it monthly. So why tie up 800k in a thai bank. The big IF is whether Immigration will accept "proof" of the 65k a month transfer. Will they accept Transferwise? will they accept the codes showing the bank receipts if not FTT? So you are never sure if you are going to be accepted until you go for your visa. Even then they might refuse it because one transfer was not coded correctly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Moon37 said:

TD,

I agree 100%!.  If anyone is really concerned it would be appropriate to write a letter to the US Embassy. The US Embassy is here not only to conduct critical matters of State, but to support and aid US citizens as well.  (I have 9 years direct experience with two US Embassies).  The Foreign Service Officers (FSO) are above the norm who have to pass a extremely difficult screening process with a pass rate of 20 percent (4 of 5 either move on or try again).  The intent of highlighting this, is to remember that the FSOs who read your letter are professionals who do what they are told and to whom the letters should be addressed, Be courteous as they did not make the Immigration Letter decision (Secretary of State and the Ambassador coordinate such things etc). 

Just state the facts as one knows or has heard (without emotion), explain personal concern as to how this situation may be life changing if a reasonable solution cannot be found, make any positive suggestions to solve this issue and request a concrete response (actions to be done, plan, time frame, etc) by a certain date (as you might be packing out).  State if the requested response cannot be appropriately answered, to forward to the next office in the Courtesy Copy List for ACTION.  

( 1,American Citizen Services, Notary Services, 2, ACS Section Chief, 3.  Political Section, Immigration Issues Officer, 4. Chief Political/Military Section, 5.  Deputy Chief of Mission and ultimately the Ambassador. (You put the 1 through 5 Offices at the bottom of the letter stating Courtesy Copy and under the initial attention to:   Make sure to Note: Courtesty Copy Addressees listed at the bottom)

DO NOT SPEAK BAD ABOUT OUR HOST NATION.  WE ARE GUESTS AND HAVE ENJOYED THE HONOR TO SPEND OUR RETIREMENT ETC IN SUCH A FRIENDLY NATION.  (Don't write this, Just a reminder when you write).

This is just my opinion, at least write it sober.

Explain personal concern without emotion??  Come on now there is no sense in that. 

15 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I agree, most of us spend 65k a month anyway and can transfer it monthly. So why tie up 800k in a thai bank. The big IF is whether Immigration will accept "proof" of the 65k a month transfer. Will they accept Transferwise? will they accept the codes showing the bank receipts if not FTT? So you are never sure if you are going to be accepted until you go for your visa. Even then they might refuse it because one transfer was not coded correctly.

I use Transferwise and transfer to my BKKB account. Out of ten transfers so far, all but one have used the BKKB as the partner bank so show the FTT code. The odd one out arrived via the TMB and shows a local transfer. 

I understand I can get a 'Credit Advice Receipt' from the BKKB to show where the transfer originated so will simply look at my Transferwise receipt statement to see which partner bank they have used. If, on one/two transfers a year it's not via the BKKB I will get a Credit Advice Receipt from the BKKB for that transfer. Not a big problem. I've added a Credit Advice Receipt (from the Kasikorn bank) as an example, that somebody else had posted.

Credit Advice receipt example.jpeg

On 2/10/2019 at 4:59 AM, billsmart said:

glegolo, What I have written above is the official announcement from Immigrations. I've attached a copy of the letter they gave me... 

Retirement Visa Rules 2020.pdfUnavailable

The embassy told me, that they confirm my incom of 65k , and up the imigration i have to show incom caming from thai bank.... what is right now?