Forum upgrade in progress! ×

The Latest Info on Retirement Visas from Immigrations

Due to renew extension to stay based upon retirement in July based upon income option (using pension payments from abroad). Will I need to provide documentation/statements for previous 12 months upto renewal or from January 2019 ?

1 minute ago, Rambo said:

Due to renew extension to stay based upon retirement in July based upon income option (using pension payments from abroad). Will I need to provide documentation/statements for previous 12 months upto renewal or from January 2019 ?

Really good question. TI have stated that they will show some latitude this year due to the short notice of changes.

How much latitude? You tell us when you do your extension.

33 minutes ago, Rambo said:

From January would be best but they may accept less since some people may not learn about not being able to get proof of income from their embassy until it is to late to do more than i or 2 transfers.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:59 AM, billsmart said:

glegolo, What I have written above is the official announcement from Immigrations. I've attached a copy of the letter they gave me... 

Retirement Visa Rules 2020.pdf 640.14 kB · 153 downloads

Good information Bill, but different IOs have different rules or different interpretation of rules.

All we can really do is find out what out own local IO says, even at that, different officers in the

same IO may give you different answers.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

From January would be best but they may accept less since some people may not learn about not being able to get proof of income from their embassy until it is to late to do more than i or 2 transfers.

I operate I-Banking with Bangkok Bank and have managed to download and print off statements dating back to  September 2018. Hoping they will accept these.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:53 AM, glegolo said:

All these threads....... Plse stop some time....... rather sooner that later.....

We are still waiting for the definetive law and police-order and how you can predict year 2020 is a nice tricky thing I guess..

glegolo

The new police order that applies to next year and pretty much forever at least for the foreseeable future unless the law changes again one day is already in effect for 2020 and beyond.  And what the OP posted is nothing new that’s been well known now since the new police order came out.  Either a minimum of 65K Baht per month being transferred into a Thai bank account or the 800K Baht savings option for retirement visa extensions.  The only thing that the new police order actually changed for retirement visa extensions or rather slightly modified is the way immigration wants to see your 800K Baht in your Thai bank account IF YOU EVEN USE THE 800K Baht in the bank option.  

So it’s not really a huge change for retirement visa extensions as people are making it out to be maybe a bit confusing if you do use the savings option I can definitely understand that.  The OP included a little too much information but what he posted is nothing new for retirement visa extensions, and just like the OP said the monthly income option of at least 65K Baht a month every month throughout the year by 2020 is still an option.  The police order says that you can still use your monthly income some people were confused about that before but just read the police order.  It’s a minimum of 65K Baht monthly in a Thai bank account for retirement visa extensions and a minimum of 40K Baht monthly in a Thai bank account for marriage visa extensions.  

As long as you meet immigration’s financial requirements it’s really nothing to worry about because it’s not that big of a change to the original new police order that came out in January.  This forum and some people posting on it are making it out to seem like it’s worse than what it is and it’s really not a big deal.  For me it actually makes the extension process easier.  You just have to familiarize yourself with the new police orders.  

Bottom line the new police orders are already in effect however if you have already obtained your last income affidavit immigration should continue to except them for up to six months after the date of completion.  The thing you need to understand though is that the new police orders are already in effect, we are no longer waiting for anything at all it’s already been signed into law.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

The new police order that applies to next year and pretty much forever at least for the foreseeable future unless the law changes again one day is already in effect for 2020 and beyond.  And what the OP posted is nothing new that’s been well known now since the new police order came out.  Either a minimum of 65K Baht per month being transferred into a Thai bank account or the 800K Baht savings option for retirement visa extensions.

"Either a minimum of 65K Baht per month being transferred into a Thai bank account"

The whole point of this thread is that the OP's new, new police order does not give this as an option. According to him, only an embassy letter will suffice as proof of income.

27 minutes ago, pi2005ni said:

Ubon Joe would be the most reliable and trusted source here . Others in my opinion are guessing, scaremongering and just basically talking for the sake of . The result is that many member are running around panicking over nothing . Please take time to read the recent police order which states the fact but don’t listen to the gloom and doom merchants.

I agree perfectly with every single word you just said.  Yes Ubon Joe is the most reliable source on this forum and I trust him very much, and yes a lot of people are talking for the sake of it, and yes A LOT OF PEOPLE are simply complaining and panicking over nothing without actually asking questions from reliable sources and officials such as immigration and your embassy.  All people have to do is just simply read the new police orders they are clear as day about the rules for retirement and marriage visa extensions and if they’re not sure about something in the new police orders then just ask someone like Ubon Joe, your local Immigration office supervisor, or your embassy about any questions regarding the new police orders. The new police orders are pretty much easy to understand and pretty simple now that I’ve studied them and read over them.  And I did ask Joe some questions but I now fully understand the rules.  The new immigration policy actually makes the extension process easier for me anyway.  And I’ve actually used the same words you did including “doom and gloom merchants”.  You must have read one of my previous posts lol.  Seriously I fully agree with everything you just wrote you’re exactly right!!! 

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

"Either a minimum of 65K Baht per month being transferred into a Thai bank account"

The whole point of this thread is that the OP's new, new police order does not give this as an option. According to him, only an embassy letter will suffice as proof of income.

You obviously didn’t read his entire post because it actually does give it as an option I know it’s long but read the last parts of the OP’s post and you will see it.  I think you’re missing the point just read his whole post.  I know he included a lot of information but it is in there about the 65K Baht a month still being an option.  And if you still don’t understand then just read the police order.  

In the OP’s topic the part about the embassy letter is in the beginning because they’re still valid for six months after the date of completion throughout this year, but the part about the letter from the Thai bank being required by Immigration to prove 12 months of transfers of a minimum of 65K Baht a month into a Thai bank account OR the 800K Baht option is closer to the end of his post.  Like I said read his whole post.  If you want I can copy it and show you where it discusses the 65K Baht a month option, would that help you?  

Regardless this doesn’t really concern me since I’m on a marriage visa extension but I am retired here on a pension and maybe someday I might decide to switch to a retirement visa, I probably won’t go through the trouble of doing that because I don’t have to but it could be an option for me in the future since I make more than double the minimum monthly income requirement for either visa extension marriage or retirement.  

Question:  I renewed my retirement visa in January of this year (before the change to the law was announced).  Should I assume I will not be held to the 800k/400k balance requirements until such time as I apply for a renewal next year?  In other words can I let me balance fall as much as I want until such time as I need to have 800k seasoning before the renewal next year?

I don't want to show up for my 90-day report later this year possibly with under 400k in my account and somehow my retirement visa gets invalidated.

Thank you.

6 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

You obviously didn’t read his entire post because it actually does give it as an option I know it’s long but read the last parts of the OP’s post and you will see it.  I think you’re missing the point just read his whole post.  I know he included a lot of information but it is in there about the 65K Baht a month still being an option.  And if you still don’t understand then just read the police order.  

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:36 AM, billsmart said:

o   A letter from your embassy verifying you receive a pension (not just any income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month. (As of 2020, this will be the ONLY acceptable proof of monthly income.)

I read this and the police order that he attached. What did you read?

17 hours ago, billsmart said:

Yes, that should read "change the paperwork I use to extend my stay on my O-A visa from that based on retirement to that based on marriage."

Thanks for the clarifications...

Yes, I will need an EXTENSION, not a visa, but I will have to change the extension to based on marriage, rather than on retirement.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Spidey said:

See here it is I told you in my last reply to you.  You have to read his whole post.  But still you should read the ACTUAL official police order.  Although the OP’s post sounds about right from what I read in the real official police order.  

I copied this information for you from the OP’s post so you can see for yourself that YES he did state that the 65K Baht a month IS STILL an option as I told you it was.  And it really is according to the police order but regardless I’m on a marriage visa extension so it doesn’t really matter to me.  It’s not about who’s right or wrong it’s about the real facts.  I’m not trying to prove you wrong even though I kind of unwittingly just did I’m just showing you the facts and all of the information hopefully to help you better understand the facts of the matter.  

Here’s the information I copied for you from the OP’s post regarding the 65K Baht a month option:  

“To apply for an EXTENTION of a Retirement visa, you must either have:

o   A letter from your embassy verifying you receive a pension (not just any income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month. (As of 2020, this will be the ONLY acceptable proof of monthly income.), OR… OR,,,,,

o   A letter from your bank stating you have been receiving international transfer deposits (any kind of income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month for the past twelve (12) months, or...

o   A letter from your bank stating you have had a minimum of ฿800K on deposit for at least two (2) months prior to your application, and...

§  You must keep at least ฿800K in the bank for three (3) months after receiving the visa, and...

§  You bank balance must not drop below ฿400 at any time.”

Here it is more clearly and broke down for you:

or…

o   A letter from your bank stating you have been receiving international transfer deposits (any kind of income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month for the past twelve (12) months, or...”.  

I copied this information from the OP’s post.  Next time read the whole post before assuming anything and definitely read the official police order it’s easier to understand but the OP sounds about right from what I read in the official police orders.  I hope this helped you seriously I hope this helps.  Now hopefully you understand better.  

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

See here it is I told you in my last reply to you.  You have to read his whole post.  But still you should read the ACTUAL official police order.  Although the OP’s post sounds about right from what I read in the real official police order.  

I copied this information for you from the OP’s post so you can see for yourself that YES he did state that the 65K Baht a month IS STILL an option as I told you it was.  And it really is according to the police order but regardless I’m on a marriage visa extension so it doesn’t really matter to me.  It’s not about who’s right or wrong it’s about the real facts.  I’m not trying to prove you wrong even though I kind of unwittingly just did I’m just showing you the facts and all of the information hopefully to help you better understand the facts of the matter.  

Here’s the information I copied for you from the OP’s post regarding the 65K Baht a month option:  

“To apply for an EXTENTION of a Retirement visa, you must either have:

o   A letter from your embassy verifying you receive a pension (not just any income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month. (As of 2020, this will be the ONLY acceptable proof of monthly income.), OR… OR,,,,,

o   A letter from your bank stating you have been receiving international transfer deposits (any kind of income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month for the past twelve (12) months, or...

o   A letter from your bank stating you have had a minimum of ฿800K on deposit for at least two (2) months prior to your application, and...

§  You must keep at least ฿800K in the bank for three (3) months after receiving the visa, and...

§  You bank balance must not drop below ฿400 at any time.”

Here it is more clearly and broke down for you:

or…

o   A letter from your bank stating you have been receiving international transfer deposits (any kind of income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month for the past twelve (12) months, or...”.  

I copied this information from the OP’s post.  Next time read the whole post before assuming anything and definitely read the official police order it’s easier to understand but the OP sounds about right from what I read in the official police orders.  I hope this helped you seriously I hope this helps.  Now hopefully you understand better.  

Nice selective quote. The quote you posted came under the heading:

"As a special dispensation and to help visa-holders transition to these new rules, for the balance of 2019, you must either have":

Ergo, it doesn't apply as from 2020.

Read what is written, not what you want to read.

Personally, I think that this whole thread is a nonsense and applies to Phetchabun immigration only.

This whole process and how it has been handled by a few foreign embassies is inn re3sponse for the lack of oversight that many Embassies had. It is also in response to the number of people that use agencies that are not legal or conforming to the legal requirements.

As with everything else in life the people that abide by the laws get caught in the net that is used to stop those that do things against the law.

1.  The embassies that have stopped doing the letters did not require verification of the person actually receiving the money they just did it as a way to make money and did not care if you told the truth or lied.  When the Thai immigration started to realize this they had to lay the law down to the embassies and inform them that they were going to be held accountable for things they signed. (Imagine the horror )  Verification processes for embassies are very easy to complete it is the laziness of the embassies that created your problem.  

Solution 1 Member has to supply the embassy with bank statements showing the actual funds going into your account every month for 12 months.  YOu download print and carry This is done by the Canadian embassy

Solution 2 every embassy have a computer set up that allows a person applying to have outside access.  When a member applies for the letter they have to bring up the online banking for the bank involved so that the embassy staff can verify it.  Cost of the internet connection is more than made up in the fees they charge.

AGENTS

Solution 1 make it illegal to use an agency to fund your application and make it illegal for agencies to loan money for this purpose penalty being shutting down the agency for a year and banning anyone on the staff from being involved with immigration for the same time period.

Solution 2 Make a person show their bank records for the past year along with the letter and if there is a large deposit prior to the month preceding wh the money was required the member has to show paperwork as to how they got the funds.  

we knew when they took on the education Visa mills that Retirement would be on the radar soon.  Well, it is here.

As to hassles with imigration, I live in PT and have never had any issues with them.  Then again I am proud to say I am CANADIAN AND MY EMBASSY SUPPORTS ME.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spidey said:

"As a special dispensation and to help visa-holders transition to these new rules, for the balance of 2019, you must either have":

Personally, I think that this whole thread is a nonsense and applies to Phetchabun immigration only.

Actually you really need to read what is written because now you are misinterpreting what is written and you are grossly taking things out of context.  That’s not what it says at all.  And I read the WHOLE THING. I’ve tried to show you but it’s as if you literally don’t want to believe the new police order even when it says it as clear as day.  You are flat out ignoring that part of the police order.  I’ve seen you post similar inaccurate misinformation in some of your previous posts about this subject months ago.  So I really can’t say anything more to you if you don’t want to believe what is written in an official Thai police order then I’m not gonna be able to help you understand either.  It says clear as day what the financial requirements are.  

For 2019 they are working with people regarding the income option wire transfers until 2020 because the new police order just recently took effect.  Then in 2020 you will then have to show a full 12 months of monthly wire transfers going into a Thai bank account, that’s what the part you quoted actually means, but you took it out of context, and that’s in the official police orders as well.  Look them up.  

Edited by Jim7777
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

For 2019 they are working with people regarding the income option wire transfers until 2020 because the new police order just recently took effect.  Then in 2020 you will then have to show a full 12 months of monthly wire transfers going into a Thai bank account, that’s what the part you quoted actually means, but you took it out of context, and that’s in the official police orders as well.  Look them up.  

It's not how I read the OP, and apparently I am not alone... :wink:

There is no "12 x 65kB" in the "As of 2020" part of the OP... :sad::unsure:

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

It's not how I read the OP, and apparently I am not alone... :wink:

There is no "12 x 65kB" in the "As of 2020" part of the OP... :sad::unsure:

The OP has been criticized and may not be accurate.

The order that followed the Embassies withdrawing income letters, seemed clear that 65,000 baht minimum was required each month, even Feb.

23 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

Actually you really need to read what is written because now you are misinterpreting what is written and you are grossly taking things out of context.  That’s not what it says at all.  And I read the WHOLE THING. I’ve tried to show you but it’s as if you literally don’t want to believe the new police order even when it says it as clear as day.  You are flat out ignoring that part of the police order.  I’ve seen you post similar inaccurate misinformation in some of your previous posts about this subject months ago.  So I really can’t say anything more to you if you don’t want to believe what is written in an official Thai police order then I’m not gonna be able to help you understand either.  It says clear as day what the financial requirements are.  

I know what the official police orders say and I completely agree with you.

However, the OP has published a different set of police orders that he obtained at Phetchabun Immigration that conflict the police orders that we have seen previously.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

1.  The embassies that have stopped doing the letters did not require verification of the person actually receiving the money they just did it as a way to make money and did not care if you told the truth or lied. 

As has been said many times, not true for the British embassy. I have no idea what system the Danish embassy used. Does anyone?

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You asked the question "why tie up 800k".

For me, you then answered it in the last couple of sentences.

What will happen in 2020 and beyond if just one transfer doesn't make it or isn't recorded properly. Refusal of extension?  At the very least a lot of back and forwards with the bank and efforts to get an intransient IO to accept it without penalty.

No one likes to tie up such a sum on little or no interest, but there's nothing much better elsewhere in the world these days. And for many, it's  preferable to stuffing around with regimented monthly transfers. I move money 4 or 5 times a year in sufficient quantity to make it worthwhile, and at a time to attempt to benefit from current exchange rates (a losing battle these days!)

I think of that 800k for what it essentially is, a relatively small one time fee for the right to live in a country of which I am not a citizen. It has the added benefit of continuing ownership, and can be withdrawn and taken away with me at any time, if I so choose. I consider it to be part of my emergency funds. 

I can't think of another Immigration fee, anywhere, that is refundable.

The problem is it can't be withdrawn or used for emergencies, unless you are leaving Thailand for good.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Like I said in my previous reply you are taking it out of context.

“To apply for a NEW Retirement visa, you must either have:

o   A letter from your embassy verifying you receive a pension (not just any income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month. (As of 2020, this will be the ONLY acceptable proof of monthly income.), or…

A letter from your bank stating you have been receiving international transfer deposits (any kind of income) of a minimum of ฿65K per month for the past twelve (12) months, or...”

The 65K Baht per month FOR THE PAST TWELVE MONTHS BEGINS IN 2020 AFTER THE TRANSITION PERIOD THIS YEAR IN 2019.  PEOPLE WILL NEED A LETTER FROM THEIR BANK TO PROVE THE 65K BAHT PER MONTH WIRE TRANSFERS FOR 12 FULL MONTHS STRAIGHT AS IT SAYS. Obviously that goes into effect in 2020 a year after this new law went into effect which was in early January because by 2020 people should then be able to show 12 full months of wire transfers into a Thai bank account if you are just now getting on board with the new law.  That ought to make sense especially if you compare this to the new police orders.  

I understand that they also modified the rules for the 800K Baht in the bank option for those who use that option for the retirement visa extensions, and I understand how confusing it must be.  But the monthly income option is still available for retirement visa extensions as well.  I’m retired here on a marriage visa extension but the rules are very similar except the financial requirements such as the monthly income option for the wire transfers and the savings option is a lot lower for us.  But I don’t care because I make more than double the minimum monthly income requirement for both the marriage and the retirement visa so I’m good to go.  So this topic really doesn’t concern me I’m just trying to help clarify it just simply because I just happened to be reading it when I was surfing on my iPhone.  Honestly I’m wasting my time I should be going to my nephew’s new restaurant right now.  Instead I’m trying to help explain this to you because I really do want to help as someone else has helped me in the past and recently as well.  

Bottom line Immigration is helping people transition to the new monthly income wire transfer rules throughout 2019.  Then as IT ACTUALLY SAYS in 2020 this will be the only acceptable proof of monthly income (key words in 2020 only acceptable proof of monthly income).  Then in 2020 and before 2020 AS IT ACTUALLY SAYS depending on your situation after they stop accepting the income affidavits you will have to show a letter from your bank stating that you have been receiving international wire transfers of a minimum of 65K Baht per month for the past twelve (12) months.  Or you can use the 800K Baht in the bank option again as it says.  

Although I can understand your confusion based on how it’s written but if you read the new police orders you’ll see what I’m saying is exactly right.  Although I don’t know because based on some of your previous posts from months ago it appears as if what you wrote is just simply what you want to believe.  I’ve spoken to you before months ago about this same issue so I know what you’re thinking, and this is exactly what I told you would happen months ago because someone I know at the Embassy told me this was gonna happen exactly the way I said it would back in November.  So I actually started planning for the new police orders as far back as December because I anticipated this based on official guidance.  

I understand how it can be confusing especially with all of the misinformation out there but nothing has changed regarding the monthly income option regarding monthly wire transfers.  Just read the new police orders that is now the new law this year, next year, and forever unless they eventually change it again several years down the road or something which is always a possibility.  But as of now what I’ve told you is the law now and for the foreseeable future.  

Like I said this year until 2020 AS IT SAYS immigration is working with people regarding the monthly income option for those who don’t have the income affidavits and after they eventually stop accepting the income affidavits this year after the six month grace period.  Then by 2020 (after this year ends) people will be required to show a full 12 months of monthly wire transfers of at least 65K Baht for the retirement extension into a Thai bank account.  This is what your chosen quote actually means and if you read the new police orders and compare this with the new police orders you’ll see and understand that unless you still choose not to understand that part as it appears to me that you just want to believe your way instead of what the actual law says.  

What your quote means is that they are helping people transition to the new monthly income wire transfer method and the money saved option throughout 2019 until 2020 when you will then be required to show the full 12 months of monthly wire transfers into a Thai bank account.  That’s really the bottom line that you took out of context maybe out of confusion or maybe because that’s just what you were hoping for and what you want to believe I’m not sure.  But I know what the new police orders actually say and mean and yes I did read the OP’s entire post and I understand him and the new police orders.  

But the way this topic is written I can maybe understand your confusion even though from your past posts I’ve noticed that you’ve always had a similar tone about this issue.  It turns out what I told you back then was true but like I said it’s not about proving anyone wrong it’s about the facts and ignoring all of the misinformation.  Just read the police orders they are very clear on this matter.  I don’t mean to sound arrogant to you personally it’s not a personal thing, I’m honestly just trying to explain the facts to you within the CORRECT CONTEXT.  If you don’t believe me ask Ubon Joe he’s always reliable and a trusted source, you can ask your local immigration office who all seem to slowly be getting on board with each other, you can ask your Embassy although they’re sometimes not very helpful depending on who you talk to, or you can ask an Immigration Attorney if you still don’t get it.  Maybe you took your quote out of context because the way it’s written is a little bit confusing but it’s not confusing at all if you actually read the official police orders that recently went into effect.  I hope this helps you understand or at least tells you where to look for yourself (the new police orders).  

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I know what the official police orders say and I completely agree with you.

However, the OP has published a different set of police orders that he obtained at Phetchabun Immigration that conflict the police orders that we have seen previously.

Okay I thought you were just trying to argue no problem but what he posted kind of makes sense based on the police orders, I do think that some of what the OP posted was just lost in translation.  I apologize and no problem.  I just thought you didn’t understand the monthly income/monthly wire transfers law or didn’t want to.  I apologize I think both of our tones came off as argumentative at first.  Maybe that Immigration Office the OP got it from  just messed up the English translation because it’s very similar to the new police orders at least. Although I do think people are reading to much into it and believe me I have that same habit quite often of reading to much into everything.  I guess I just misunderstood what you meant because of your tone.  

Edited by Jim7777
  • Like 1

As has been said many times, not true for the British embassy. I have no idea what system the Danish embassy used. Does anyone?
This is from the Danish embassy website:

"This is due to the fact that the Embassy in Bangkok is legally unable to fulfil the Thai authorities’ requirements to guarantee the future level of pension/income for Danish Nationals."

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The OP has been criticized and may not be accurate.

The order that followed the Embassies withdrawing income letters, seemed clear that 65,000 baht minimum was required each month, even Feb.

Yes it is the monthly income option is still available I think some of what the OP wrote got lost in translation compared to the current police orders.  That’s why I need to stop reading topics like this because I already know the rules I already know everything I need to know now pretty much.  It’s really not complicated and I like the new rules because it makes the whole extension process so much easier for me based on my personal situation.  Of course it’s different for some other people for many different reasons it all depends on your personal situation but for me it works out perfectly and I’m only on a marriage visa extension.  

5 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

This is from the Danish embassy website:

"This is due to the fact that the Embassy in Bangkok is legally unable to fulfil the Thai authorities’ requirements to guarantee the future level of pension/income for Danish Nationals."

How did the Danish Embassy deal with embassy income letters in the past. Did the have a sworn affidavit or did they ask for proof of income?