Too much money

18 hours ago, Delight said:

My funds in Thailand are closer to 2 million Baht-obviously more than the minimum 400,000 K  requirement.

Is it possible that immigration (Chonburi) could deny me my choice due to this high bank balance?

It's probably less paperwork and easier for you to extend your stay based on retirement, than on marriage.

However, why not deposit 400k baht in a separate 3-month fixed account, and show that to your immigration office together with a "normal" account for your daily expenses that don't hold millions of baht. Keep the remaining money in accounts you don't show at immigration.

????

2 minutes ago, VYCM said:

I was told by IO that a fixed account was not acceptable for Retirement.

Some will say that, yet it can be used in many places. If you can get at the money without delay, it is fine for a Retirement Ext. A FD account is accessible with only loss of interest.

On 2/10/2019 at 11:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

Best to get it down to an amount less than 800k. Chances are very high they will not allow you to change with that much in the account. It has happened before. I can recall a case where they did it for retirement without mentioning it until it was done.

I've heard of this 'resistance' to changing from a retirement to a marriage extension. Could I just ask, would it be easier if the applicant let his retirement extension expire then left and re-entered on a 90 day Non O based on marriage then applied to extend that?

11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I've heard of this 'resistance' to changing from a retirement to a marriage extension. Could I just ask, would it be easier if the applicant let his retirement extension expire then left and re-entered on a 90 day Non O based on marriage then applied to extend that?

They could still insist on doing it for retirement if he had enough financial proof for it.

The reason the non-o was issued for makes no difference.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nausea said:

My friend, 2 million baht is abdolutely nothing in this country. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Exactly what I was thinking. Someone who likes to indulge themselves could burn through that in 6-8 months in Bangkok quite easily.

On 2/10/2019 at 5:55 PM, changside said:

If appearances are anything to go by it is far more money than many expats in Pattaya have. A lot of them look destitute. 

That could easily be interpreted as being snide and facetious. I have spent much time here including being in Bangkok and Pattaya and have not seen "a lot" of destitute looking farangs.

Many scruffy gits admittedly but none of these seem short of money. If you are aware of a lot of farangs begging and sleeping rough please show the evidence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

As long as you don’t have enough income/cash in the bank for the retirement option they’d have no choice but to accept the application based on marriage.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:12 PM, Delight said:

When persuation becomes coercion -that's when the problems begin.

If I open a bank account in a different bank and deposit say 500K -could that work -or will they smell a rat

Wow. 400,000 K (?) is a high balance! Just kidding. I know you meant 400k.

You didn't mention when your extension renewal will happen but remember the 90 day seasoning of funds of you use a new account. 

From what I've read, the retirement route is an easier one than marriage simply because they usually require your spouse to be present as well. Granted it takes a higher balance though. 

31 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

You didn't mention when your extension renewal will happen but remember the 90 day seasoning of funds of you use a new account. 

It is 2 months for every extension based upon marriage to a Thai.

• Thanks 1