Marriage/Retirement - Interpretations explained.

Hi , I read this thread with alot of interest . One thing I wonder about and that is about the marriage extension 400k in the account .Does this now have to come from abroad or os this only for retirement ? Cause I banked 400k in my wifes account intending to use in a couple of years for that extension , I brought some of that money cash while visiting my wife on holidays . If so needing this I probably have to save the amount again on much less favorite exhange rates and start over .In the past I have had multiple extensions approved not needing to come from abroad .So my question is ,is it now ? Much appreciated .

8 minutes ago, tijnebijn said:

Hi , I read this thread with alot of interest . One thing I wonder about and that is about the marriage extension 400k in the account .Does this now have to come from abroad or os this only for retirement ?

No it doesn’t have to come from abroad.

12 minutes ago, tijnebijn said:

Cause I banked 400k in my wifes account intending to use in a couple of years for that extension , I brought some of that money cash while visiting my wife on holidays .

You will need to put it in an account in your name at least 2 months before you apply for an extension.

• Thanks 2

In every example you have quoted there is an additional requirement: 

2. A certified letter of income from your Embassy

As I understand it, Embassies are longer willing to issue these letters. So has this now changed?

3 minutes ago, matlock said:

In every example you have quoted there is an additional requirement: 

2. A certified letter of income from your Embassy

As I understand it, Embassies are longer willing to issue these letters. So has this now changed?

It's 1 or 2, not both.  There should have been an OR at the end of item 1.  It's been discussed on this thread previously.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is a or statement at the end of 1.

image.png.e669033a9f68b015cd6831604c4dc7c2.png

I was referring to the OP where it's missing.  It was an oversight by the OP.

It would make no sense (logical or otherwise) for the monthly deposit method to include the embassy income letter since the new method was created specifically to give people who can no longer get the embassy income letter an alternate path.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:12 AM, wobalt said:

AFAIK Germany never stops the letter, same as all others except U.K., US, AUS and Danmark. Germany has always be able to check your docs.ww

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Think it's Thai Immi, changed what it wants to verify income, need to check if letter from German Embassy is sufficient??? 

6 minutes ago, Philipg114763 said:

It says funds from overseas must be transferd into A THAI  bank account. So can I transfer funds from the U.K. into my thai wife’s account to prove my income 

No.

You need to transfer it to an account in your name. Depending on where you apply they MIGHT let you use a joint account with your wife, but expect them to insist it's an account in your sole name.

Friday I have renewed the retirement extension by combo method at CW. 

The Dicember dated income letter from the British Embassy was accepted along with a bank deposit. 

I asked whether I could access the deposit straight away and was told yes and that to have the deposit ready in the bank 2 months before expiry. I had to sign a thai copy of the new regulations. 

All my other questions were answered "it is unclear at the moment, look at website for updates".  

Good luck to everyone else

Edited by bigginhill
  • Like 1

Well done and thankyou, i understand that anybody renewing during 2019 can exspect a pep talk, me, my RV due in Dec 19 so it will effect me Dec20, i am lucky that it dosnt  effect me like some and i feel for the many who have spent big money ( like me) to set up home and now have to worry about there future !!, again thanks for the post and everybody have a nice day,

• Like 1

As we know nothing makes any sence other than filling thai banks with foreign money, but thinking logically, To renew a Rv the funds should be in a sole your sole account, but renewing a MV could be from a joint account, now that is my joined up thinking !!

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Maggie25 said:

Hi, does anyone know if Immigration will accept bank statements from Head Office showing quarterly deposits from overseas? Thanks!

The rules state you must show a monthly income going into a Thai bank. Quarterly transfers will not be accepted.

• 2 weeks later...
The rules state you must show a monthly income going into a Thai bank. Quarterly transfers will not be accepted.

I wonder if you have a currency account and transfer from that monthly but top up the currency account twice a year (saving $50 a month) would that be accepted? I’m going to ask next time I go to immigration.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

I wonder if you have a currency account and transfer from that monthly but top up the currency account twice a year (saving $50 a month) would that be accepted? I’m going to ask next time I go to immigration.

If you mean a foreign currency account that would not work. It would still be a domestic transfer.

You can use a foreign currency account for the money in the bank or combination option to apply.

So, my attempt for marriage extension was just refused at Kap Choeng. I had a little trouble with the new guy last year, because he wouldn't consider my monthly income I was making in Thailand, because I was still working at a local school. I had all the documentation but he only wanted to see how much money I had in the bank, which was 400 k Baht but it was only in my account for 40 days so he made me jump thru a bunch of hoops and finally approved it. Now, a year later he has denied the combination of work & money in the bank.

Last July I started my US retirement after working at the school for 6 months. My income from the school was 260,000 Baht for 6 months. I had also transferred 1 million Baht here to rebuild my home for my retirement. He only looked at how much money I had in the bank today, 125,000 Baht, and said "No, can not do". Not real happy right now but I thought this is what he would do, so I will go to the main office in Khorat and try it there. I have heard good things, here on Thai Visa, about the Khorat office.

Obviously, the Kap Choeng office is not willing to follow the directions set out by the Thai government.

I'll post my experience after I return from Khorat.

8 minutes ago, teetersb said:

I had also transferred 1 million Baht here to rebuild my home for my retirement.

Should have kept the money in the bank, what point in spending money on her house when you aren't allowed a VISA/extension to stay in it?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, teetersb said:

Now, a year later he has denied the combination of work & money in the bank.

There is no combination option for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

46 minutes ago, teetersb said:

Not real happy right now but I thought this is what he would do, so I will go to the main office in Khorat and try it there. I have heard good things, here on Thai Visa, about the Khorat office.

They will tell you that you will have to it at the Kap Choeng that is your designated office.

Korat is not a main office over other offices. Immigration Division 4 is over the offices in Isaan and you cannot apply for an extension at their offices.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no combination option for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

They will tell you that you will have to it at the Kap Choeng that is your designated office.

Korat is not a main office over other offices. Immigration Division 4 is over the offices in Isaan and you cannot apply for an extension at their offices.

Damn! Thank you Ubonjoe. So, I only have the Savanakhet option left? Kap Choeng always tells me they send my documents to Khorat for approval and then I have to go back to Kap Choeng in 30 days to get my stamp.

This really sucks they won't accept how much money I made last year. So much for them working with us long time expats!

I can't come up with the 400 k Baht until January, so I guess I can just do the Savanakhet option every 90 days until next year when I can show 40 k Baht every month, which I just started doing with TransferWise, or 400 k. Any other options for me?