Half Thai- Military conscription concern

lzba

Hi all,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

To start off here is a little background on myself. I am a 19 year old half british/half thai male born in England and will be moving back to live in Thailand in march this year with my mother who is full thai . I plan to stay for at least 1 year..

My main concern is whether or not i will be called for drafting once i turn 21 which is roughly 14 months. I have previously lived in Thailand for around 4 years whilst in school.  I have both a British and Thai passport. However when i was 18 (Living in UK) i never signed up for the (sor dor 9) form, nor do i have a Thai ID card. 

I plan on entering Thailand with my Thai passport. (Last year i visited Thailand with my Thailand but only stayed one month and had no issues.)

What are the chances i will be called up for drafting once i turn 21 (20 even??)  

I currently work from home and do a post graduate course online so i can study/work from wherever, however having to join the military for 2 years is not a option for me, let alone taking the risk at the lottery..

Thanks..

These links (though dated) may be of assistance:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/316205-thai-military-obligation-for-dual-citizenship-thais/

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/983448-military-draft-for-thai-citizen-living-outside-and-not-speaking-thai/

<<<<Link to another forum has been removed>>>>

Edited by metisdead
13) You will not post links to other Thailand forums, or forums which could reasonably be construed as competition to Thaivisa.com or its sponsors.

A troll post and a reply to it has been removed.

The draw during the year after your 21st birthday is when you may have to appear. Just have your family start trying make contact with authorities to have you waived from the draw at the Amphoe where you house book registry.

Not visa related so moved to this forum.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A troll post and a reply to it has been removed.

The draw during the year after your 21st birthday is when you may have to appear. Just have your family start trying make contact with authorities to have you waived from the draw at the Amphoe where you house book registry.

Not visa related so moved to this forum.

would he be in a house book without an id card

It's quite possible. Thai children have to be registered in a house book within 15 days of birth, but they cannot get an ID card until they are 7 years old.

You need to ask your mum whose house book you are registered in, if any. If you were born in Thailand it's likely you were entered into a house book. If you were born abroad you might not be registered in a house book at all.

This matters because it is the house book registry that is used to send the letters to call up male Thai citizens for the lottery. No house book registration, no call up papers.

• Like 1