Non Immigrant 'O' for Father of Thai Child

I have been a member here but not so frequent lately and am aware there are numerous threads in relation to this topic however with the recent changes I wanted to ask some advice.

My son is a Dual Thai and Australian citizen, was born in Thailand and I am listed on his birth certificate as I was married to a Thai national at the time of his birth but am now divorced. I also have full parental custody of my child with the relevant Thai legal documents to prove this.

I am currently due to complete my employment contract in Africa (I am an Australian) and due to issues of Australia's process of issuing a new passport for my son I will be returning to Thailand. I have looked at the Thai Elite option and would like to avoid it due to cost but can option it as a last resort. So my questions are are follows:

1. If I apply for the Non Immigrant 'O' visa in support of my Thai child, can I apply for this in a country other than Australia (for the reason that my son cannot travel to Australia without a current Australian passport)?
  2. If I can apply for this visa outside of Australia, which embassy is the best to apply at currently?
  3. What are the recent financial requirements and options in regards to an amount in a Thai bank as my proof of income will cease at the end of my contract? I do not have any issues supporting myself for quite some time though.
  4. My ex-wife has left Thailand and does not contact my son often or provide present contact numbers. During the process of application would I require any documentation from my ex-wife considering I hold full parental custody?

As a second option, if I was not to obtain a Non-O Visa in support of a Thai child, I held a Student Visa in 2014 for a period of 6 months. Would there be any difficulties of me obtaining a second ED Visa as there has been a long period since my last one?

Australia is not the only place you can get a non-o visa based upon being he parent of a Thai

You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai at the embassy in Vientiane or the Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

How long do you plan on staying in the country?

You could apply for a year extension of stay based upon being a parent of a Thai. You would need to show 400k baht in a Thai bank bank.

OP, bit off topic but I wish you well. I also was single parent bringing up kids in oz. Stick to your guns. Best of luck. As ubonjoe mentioned non o can be obtained many places. I'm a fan of udon thani. You can get get cheap flight from bkk to udon and obtain non o in Vientiane. Note think you make appointment there now. Online? 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Australia is not the only place you can get a non-o visa based upon being he parent of a Thai

You can get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai at the embassy in Vientiane or the Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

How long do you plan on staying in the country?

You could apply for a year extension of stay based upon being a parent of a Thai. You would need to show 400k baht in a Thai bank bank.

Hi UbonJoe,

Thanks for the reply. I would plan to stay in Thailand for quite a while, at least a year and re-evaluate after that. I haven't held the Non 'O' visa before so to confirm, the Embassy would issue me with a 3 month visa which I then extend at the end of that 3 months for a period of 1 year at immigration in Bangkok correct?

The Vientiane and Savannakhet embassy websites state I require my marriage certificate which is now a divorce certificate as well as copies of my 'spouses' passport/id card, house registration etc. In the custody documents these are all present. Would being divorced and holding custody make my application difficult and would the copies from 2014 of my ex-wifes documents that are in the custody documents be suffice in your opinion?

Also, in the past I had heard Savannakhet was at times difficult. Is either of Vientiane or Savannakhet easier in regards to obtaining the visa according to any recent reports?

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, bit off topic but I wish you well. I also was single parent bringing up kids in oz. Stick to your guns. Best of luck. As ubonjoe mentioned non o can be obtained many places. I'm a fan of udon thani. You can get get cheap flight from bkk to udon and obtain non o in Vientiane. Note think you make appointment there now. Online? 

Hi Jack.

Thanks. Udon will most probably be the direction I take. Last time I flew to Vientiane for my ED visa but will have the young fella with me this time as I can't leave him in Bangkok whilst I go for a visa.

8 minutes ago, saramsland said:

Hi Jack.

Thanks. Udon will most probably be the direction I take. Last time I flew to Vientiane for my ED visa but will have the young fella with me this time as I can't leave him in Bangkok whilst I go for a visa.

If you go the udon path you could fly and next day early take minibus from central plaza to non khai. Get your paperwork in am. Pick up next day pm. So as you know its an overnight gig in Vientiane. Having your young fella along isn't ideal but if no one can help you out so be it. After you have your non o you have 90 days to obtain your 12 month extension at CW. For CW you can apply for your 12 month permission of stay up to 45 days prior to expire date on your non o.

Ubon will tell you exactly what's needed in your situation regarding docs for non o

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, saramsland said:

Thanks for the reply. I would plan to stay in Thailand for quite a while, at least a year and re-evaluate after that. I haven't held the Non 'O' visa before so to confirm, the Embassy would issue me with a 3 month visa which I then extend at the end of that 3 months for a period of 1 year at immigration in Bangkok correct?

After getting the 90 day entry from the non-o visa you could apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the entry. You apply for it at the designated office where you are living. If living in Bangkok you would apply at Chaeng Wattana immigration.

17 minutes ago, saramsland said:

The Vientiane and Savannakhet embassy websites state I require my marriage certificate

You will only need your child's birth certificate plus a copy and a copy of their house book registry. 

24 minutes ago, saramsland said:

Also, in the past I had heard Savannakhet was at times difficult. Is either of Vientiane or Savannakhet easier in regards to obtaining the visa according to any recent reports?

Both are about the same. The only difference now is that you have to make an appointment to do your application at Vientiane.

See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, saramsland said:

I would plan to stay in Thailand for quite a while, at least a year and re-evaluate after that. I haven't held the Non 'O' visa before so to confirm, the Embassy would issue me with a 3 month visa which I then extend at the end of that 3 months for a period of 1 year at immigration in Bangkok correct?

Yes. If living in Bangkok. You need to apply at the office covering the area you live in,

You can apply within the last 30 days of your 90 day entry.

You’ll need proof of a 40K pm min income or deposit 400K min in a Thai bank account in your name. If using income you’ll need to make monthly transfers in to your Thai bank from abroad. The 400K can be deposited in your bank anytime before you apply.

The Vientiane and Savannakhet embassy websites state I require my marriage certificate which is now a divorce certificate as well as copies of my 'spouses' passport/id card, house registration etc. In the custody documents these are all present. Would being divorced and holding custody make my application difficult and would the copies from 2014 of my ex-wifes documents that are in the custody documents be suffice in your opinion?

You shouldn’t need your marriage/divorce certificates. You will need your sons birth certificate.

I doubt you’ll need your custody paperwork. but take it with you in case.

No financials are required.

Either are ok for this visa, but I would say Vientiane is the better place to apply.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

May I piggy-bank to ask a related question?

My Australian friend has a Thai wife and a Thai child; marriage and birth paperwork are all in order.  He has been living here on a 12-month marriage extension but this year he's coming up short for the ฿400,000.  All he wants is a 30-day extension to get some affairs in order, but he says the Immigration told him there would be no chance for any extension without the ฿400,000.

Is this correct?  I thought the parents of Thais were given priority by Immigration?

Assuming no extension is possible, what is the chance he could get a 2-month tourist visa in Vientiane?

Edited by singburisam

13 minutes ago, singburisam said:

Is this correct?  I thought the parents of Thais were given priority by Immigration?

No, it’s wrong. He can’t get a 30 day extension, but he can get a 60 day extension without financials. Subject to it bring his only 60 day extension since his first entry with his current visa/permit, and the office he’s applying at play ball,

13 minutes ago, singburisam said:

Assuming no extension is possible, what is the chance he could get a 2-month tourist visa in Vientiane?

He should have no problem getting a Tourist visa or a Single Entry Non-O visa.

Just now, singburisam said:

May I piggy-bank to ask a related question?

My Australian friend has a Thai wife and a Thai child; marriage and birth paperwork are all in order.  He has been living here on a 12-month marriage extension but this year he's coming up short for the ฿400,000.  All he wants is a 30-day extension to get some affairs in order, but he says the Immigration told him there would be no chance for any extension without the ฿400,000.

He could get a 3 month non O as a parent to a Thai child. He could get it from Vientiane subject to online booked appointment (2-3 weeks notice minimum) no financials required officially but unofficially this request for financials has been requested.