Only given two month extension to Ed Visa

Have just got back from Chaeng Wattana. Went in the afternoon this time and to my complete surprise, only 1 person in front of me for the Ed Visa extension. However that was the only good news.

I returned to the Kingdom on the 19th November 2018 on an education visa to lean Muay Thai. I paid for 75 lessons up front and was told that I would need to complete 25 lessons per quarter and would gain a 9 month hassle free ED visa, with two lots of 3 month extension at CW. So was a bit miffed to only be given a 2 month extension today. When I questioned the IO as to why only 2 months, she replied that this is immigration and she makes the rules. I asked her if there was a problem and she just dismissed me out of hand.

I called the admin lady at the studio and she said this is a new rule recently brought in, and I'll still get 9 months overall but extra vists to CW (3 months intially on arrival+2+2+2=9 months). A bit annoying as means another ‎฿1900 in immigration fees and another ‎฿600 in taxi fees. Not a massive deal but just wanted to prewarn you all.

Incidentally been going to Chakrit Muay Thai school in Suk Soi 39. Really good school. Great trainers, have learned alot, and their admin dept very good (despite todays hiccup)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SicTransit said:

It's been like that since at least 2017. ED visas can only be extended for two months at a time. At Chakrit school they even let you know about it upfront if I remember correctly.

Also they use to advertise you could study on the ED visa for 10 years....Yes thats right 10 years......Now I am not sure but I think 2 or 3 years is the best you can hope for.....

They just need to figure out a way to get rid of that bothersome SETV visa and they will have a home run... 

Edited by fforest1

Well,  all the Thai language school students now only get 2 months per extension, so it's no surprise it's happening to those who learn Muay Thai. They know you're not just here to learn Muay Thai. IO's aren't stupid and will only turn a blind eye if the brown envelope is delivered. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Silentwalker said:

Well,  all the Thai language school students now only get 2 months per extension, so it's no surprise it's happening to those who learn Muay Thai. They know you're not just here to learn Muay Thai. IO's aren't stupid and will only turn a blind eye if the brown envelope is delivered. 

So thats 6 trips a year to immigration to extend a ED visa?? And before it was once a year...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SicTransit said:

It's been like that since at least 2017. ED visas can only be extended for two months at a time. At Chakrit school they even let you know about it upfront if I remember correctly.

12 hours ago, Silentwalker said:

Well,  all the Thai language school students now only get 2 months per extension

If there has been a shift to 2 (other than to punish honest, in-person applicants), it is very recent.  Three months is still the norm, based on reports I have seen.

12 hours ago, Silentwalker said:

They know you're not just here to learn Muay Thai. IO's aren't stupid and will only turn a blind eye if the brown envelope is delivered. 

They assume you are all just crooks like them, I suppose - unable to fathom someone who actually enjoys learning a sport, or a language.  It make since when dealing with some of them, who got everything they had by connections and graft - not learning and hard-work.

But, of course, people are likely be learning these things in Thailand because they enjoy being in Thailand.  Only immigration would consider this motivation somehow "subversive" - because it gives one the opportunity to develop relationships here - and who knows what mischief that could lead to!!

14 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Also they use to advertise you could study on the ED visa for 10 years....Yes thats right 10 years......Now I am not sure but I think 2 or 3 years is the best you can hope for.....

If you study several languages, and advanced courses of those - maybe 4 or 5 years - then cooking, muay thai, etc.  A 4-year degree university is another option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

If there has been a shift to 2 (other than to punish honest, in-person applicants), it is very recent.  Three months is still the norm, based on reports I have seen.

They assume you are all just crooks like them, I suppose - unable to fathom someone who actually enjoys learning a sport, or a language.  It make since when dealing with some of them, who got everything they had by connections and graft - not learning and hard-work.

But, of course, people are likely be learning these things in Thailand because they enjoy being in Thailand.  Only immigration would consider this motivation somehow "subversive" - because it gives one the opportunity to develop relationships here - and who knows what mischief that could lead to!!

If you study several languages, and advanced courses of those - maybe 4 or 5 years - then cooking, muay thai, etc.  A 4-year degree university is another option.

Jack

Whats your opinion on the lengths of time immigration is limiting study at mom and pop language schools these days?.......

Like I said before they use to advertise all the time that you could study for 10 years visa included easy payments bla bla bla.......But the whole language school thing has gone kind of quiet these days.... 

Edited by fforest1

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

Jack

Whats your opinion on the lengths of time immigration is limiting study at mom and pop language schools these days?.......

Like I said before they use to advertise all the time that you could study for 10 years visa included easy payments bla bla bla.......But the whole language school thing has gone kind of quiet these days.... 

From what I have read, it would be wise tio ask the school admins how they assist you with extensions, and if there is a fee involved in this.  If they don't help, or don't charge and "extra fee," for this service, I would expect to be jacked-around at immigration for being a "Cheap Charlie who won't pay our bribes" - similar to a marriage-extension at some locations.

Of course, this may vary by office and the schools "arrangements" with immigration.  I read a read a report of one school who seems to have worked around the problem (Samui or Krabi, going on memory) by arranging (almost certainly "paying") for an IO to sit-in on their classes.  This gets immigration their extra-money, while also lending a degree of legitimacy to the process (students actually need to attend classes).  In that case, your tuition-fees are covering the bribe.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

25 lessons per quarter = less than 2 lessons a week, you are lucky you get a visa at all.

You are not exactly living to learn Muay Thai are you.

Your luck is not talking to him in person. If so, he could show you what he has learned. 

• Haha 2

I went to the school today and spoke to the owner. He said its been the norm to only give 2 month extensions for the last year. Its a real pain as 3 months tied in with the 90 day report, so it will mean yet another trip in between. It just gets harder and harder to stay here....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, London Boy said:

went to the school today and spoke to the owner. He said its been the norm to only give 2 month extensions for the last year.

Sounds like they refused to buy immigration's "gold plan."  Reminds me of stories about the police in Chicago in past times. 

35 minutes ago, London Boy said:

I went to the school today and spoke to the owner. He said its been the norm to only give 2 month extensions for the last year. Its a real pain as 3 months tied in with the 90 day report, so it will mean yet another trip in between. It just gets harder and harder to stay here....

You may also be able to do the 90-day report online (intermittent problems reported with functionality - must use old IE browser, etc - not sure the current status of this):

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

You can also do them by mail.  See here for instructions on the mail-option:

There are also agents who can do the 90-day report for you (it is legal for someone else to do this for you) - I cannot find the thread now, but might be about the same or less than travel-costs to CW and back.  If there is an agent close to where you travel frequently, you could ask.

Edited by JackThompson

BJ is tightening the belt on us farang...the LOS is not feeling warm and fuzzy.  I'm seeing the same as everything is costing more and becoming a much more labor intensive and NOT in our farang favor.  Time to join the local Russian mafia if I plan to stay longer in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Christophers200 said:

This is old news and partly reflects the steps taken to stamp out widespread abuse of ED visas.

Boy those under 50s have abused just about every visa available to them over the years havent they........Why dont those shifty eyed,scamming, un-married, non-working weasels get on the right visa??.......

O-yea I forgot there is no right visa for under 50s for a long stay......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Boy those under 50s have abused just about every visa available to them over the years havent they........Why dont those shifty eyed,scamming, un-married, non-working weasels get on the right visa??.......

O-yea I forgot there is no right visa for under 50s for a long stay......

Does your country of origin offer a long term visa to every under/over 50 who wants one? 

• Like 1

Huh. First I heard of this 2 month scam, and I visited several language schools within the last 6 months. Each and every one said 3 months per extension.

So this is not old news nor what the language schools are promising. 

Those looking to the ED visa to stay longer now must ask themselves "what's the point?"

You can take a fun cheap vacation to a neighboring country for a lot less than any school's tuition, and return to a visa exempt then extend for that same 1900 baht.

Way more adventurous and fun too, gives us a chance to explore and fall in love with some other country who seems to want us more anyways.

4 hours ago, Christophers200 said:

This is old news and partly reflects the steps taken to stamp out widespread abuse of ED visas.

Rather, it is part of steps taken to increase "extra fees" to immigration for ED Visas.  The once-a-year payoff just wasn't enough.  If the extra-fees are paid, its 3 months per extension.  If the "extra fee" is not paid, it can be as little as 1 month granted (has been reported).  Maybe the school took immigration up on a "discount plan" payoff, to get a consistent 2 mo.

Note, the 3x-per-year "extra fees" or "extra hassles" option may be coming soon to those on retirement, too!  Enforcement of the new rules is not yet finalized country-wide, but some offices are already telling applicants their 90-day reporting is reset, and this will be the case.  Looks like at least some at immigration intend to repeat their Very Profitable Ed-Visa/extension scheme.

25 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Does your country of origin offer a long term visa to every under/over 50 who wants one? 

Does Thailand offer birthright-citizenship, higher paying jobs than here (even under-the-table jobs to illegals pay more), free education to any minor who is snuck-in, and a myriad of handout-benefits to foreigners? 

Are most of those entering our country of origin coming with their own money to spend, to create jobs employing citizens to sell them goods and services? 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2