Tax On Imported Items

Jared

Does anyone know what the situation is regarding extra tax on imported items. I want to ship in a years supply of protein powder and supplements form either the UK or the States. Reason being I cannot get hold of what I need over here and what i can get hold of is around 4x the price of the UK prices. How is the extra tax judged and how do i pay for it, do i get a bill when the shipment arrives or does it get left at a post office with a bill to pay. Im looking to ship in about £300 worth does anyone have any idea how much extra tax would be added on top?

Jed

I just had 4 lbs of whole bean coffee shipped here and it was delivered to the office in the building. The customs slip said "gift" but also the value was listed at 8 USD. I paid 7 baht on the package, but it was handled by the staff. I think having a work permit may effect the tax rate if you go to customs to pick it up, but I'm not sure.

...maybe I should ask them to put a low price on the postage box.

In addition, you should make sure that they affix a customs declaration to the package and on this indicate the correct HS (harmonised system) code. Internationally, this code is called the CN (common nomenclature) code. This will help Thai customs identify the correct import duty tariff. Without the HS code, the customs officer will have to figure out the code himself and if he makes a mistake, resulting perhaps in a higher tariff than would really be due, it will be difficult to have this mistake corrected. Anyway, often it is possible to chose between different codes for the same goods.

If your foreign supplier already exports this product, he knows the correct HS code. Otherwise, he can look it up here. Only the first 6 digits are part of the HS/CN code. The remaining digits are added by individual countries, e.g. 2 additional digits in the EU, 3 additional digits in Thailand.

On your part, once you know the HS number, you can look up the Thai import duty tariff here.

For example, look up 0404 10 (with the space) in the HS, then 040410 (without the space) on the Thai site. Duty rate 25% ad valorem. This, i.e. whey protein powder, may or may not be the type of protein powder you plan to import.

--

Maestro

Cheers Maestro, everything I needed to know, looks like I should expect to pay an extra 30%

Don't forget the VAT of 7%.

Calculation is value plus freight plus insurance and landing costs. On top of this 30%, on the result another 7%.