Cleaning an 80D Sensor - Doable with care?

Hi,

I was debating with myself what to do with my 80D DSLR regarding having the sensor cleaned. I have never had a DSLR before and I am extremely wary of touching the mirror or prism or whatever it is that reflects the images. I just do not want to misalign anything. So, I was thinking about taking it to Canon in Chiang Mai and letting them do the job for me - I believe they have a service entre there that can do this - Anyone ever had it done by Canon? What sort of price are we looking at here?

The other option of course is to do it myself.....ho ho! Like I say, I have never touched a DSLR before so am a bit anxious about it. I have cleaned up a Sony A6000 Sensor not too long ago and that was interesting. Thinking it would be like cleaning a window I just gave it a good wipe with a microfibre cloth wetted with Tesco glass cleaner. Let's just say that it did remove all of the dirt spots that were there, but it laid down a rather nasty smear trail residue from the glass cleaner. So, lesson learned I bought a proper wet swab kit of the correct size and did it again properly. This time it worked a treat and there was no permanent damage (luckily).

I have looked at a few videos on the internet showing the DSLR sensor cleaning but what I am unable to get a grip of is what sort of pressure do you put on the swab? The Sony sensor was a pretty rigid old thing and seemed quite robust. The Canon on the other hand with that mirror etc. inside the aperture looks like another accident waiting to happen.

I understand that the mirror goes into a lock up position for cleaning and has to have constant power to prevent it swinging back and smashing itself into 10 million pieces. I think I should be OK with that side of it.

So apart from the kind of pressure needed, how if you actually do - Clean the MIRROR? - Surely if there is dirt on the sensor, it will follow that there will be dirt on the mirror? I haven't seen a single video that deals with the mirror, only the sensor. Also, is it necessary to get in there and clean the prism? I mean if I take it to Canon will they clean the sensor, mirror and prism or just the sensor? It seems like a half job if you are not going to clean it all.

Thanks for any advice. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Near Saphan Taksin BTS there is a AV Camera shop and they do an outstanding job of cleaning mirror and sensor for a few hundred baht. I have used them a few times. They also offer an external clean of the body - which I have never tried.

It only took 2 hours to get done. Very professional outfit. I have been to other AV shops in the city and they haven't always had the same professionalism as The Saphan Taksin guys.

Don't touch the sensor with anything unless you really know what you are doing - this can be done properly very cheaply in Bangkok (unlike the UK where they assume that because you've got a nice camera, that you will pay £30+ for a 2 day turnaround).

Archived