Saying it like it is or dashing a patient's hopes? Cancer patient told to prepare for death

webfact

Saying it like it is or dashing a patient's hopes? Cancer patient told to prepare for death

dn.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A video posted on Facebook showed a doctor at Kluay Nam Thai Hospital telling a cancer patient there was no hope. 

Netizens complained that the consultant was unnecessarily abrupt and dashing the woman's hopes. She looked resigned to her fate in a wheelchair as her relatives filmed. 

Tens of thousands of Thais shared the video - up to 50,000 today. 

The woman - suffering from the complications of liver cancer - was told that she won't die today - but she has two years at the outside. 

She is told: "Get ready to say goodbye to your children - you can't be cured". 

The footage sparked a debate online between brutal honesty and giving hope. 

It appeared on the page of Sunee Kaewtangsin. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
 -- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-14

Time to get things in order is a good thing, 

who gets what would be nice to do while you can, 

and given earlier if possible, if that's what you want to do, 

saves the arguments from those that are left behind in,

the queue.

Although you might not want to be told I think it's better to be told if you are terminally ill at least then you can go and put your house in order and try and enjoy the rest of your life what you have left of it, My wife was told on New Years day and Happy New Year to you!

45 minutes ago, faraday said:

Rude cow, seems the Hippocratic oath doesn't exist here.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=20909

'I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.'

An excerpt from the modern interpretation of the Hippocratic Oath.  It is not wrong to tell the truth and admit medical science has an inability to cure some problems.  To my mind it is more damaging to the patient and the family to give them false hope whereby they desperately seek alternative and more experimental treatments that would cause unnecessary mental and physical suffering to the patient; and mental and financial suffering for the family that has to finally face life without the patient.

• Like 2

Some people say they want to her the truth, and actually do. But they are rare, I think. Others really only want to hear the "truth" if it's good. Being told there is no hope can hasten them to their death.

My late father was chief physician in a postgraduate teaching hospital in the UK. He said he would never tell anyone they were going to die, much less tell them they how many months they had left.

His argument was that he had seen enough cases of people he thought were incurable yet who did, despite all the odds, recovered.  Everyone is different.

It is well established that mental attitude has a significant effect on chances of recovery, so telling people they have no hope is like kicking the psychological crutches out from under them.

He also believed that "bedside manner" was important, that a doctor who takes the time to explain the situation and encourage a patient is likely to have a higher recovery rate than the doctor who says, "Dead man walking. Next!"    

• Like 1

In my experience of Thai culture, it seems making other person "comfortable" rated far ahead of being truthful, so doctors really are up against it. I prefer to be told the truth in all matters, but I am a product of Western culture.

• Like 1

2 really good books on this topic.  How to Break Bad News by Buckman (used as text in many med schools)  also I Don't Know What to Say (also by Buckman.   The former is for medical professionals, the latter is for the rest of us.  You can find the basis of his six step protocol with a Google search. 

• Like 1