Why is Thailand so popular for medical tourists?

webfact

2 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

.....because TAT marketing is telling them that Thailand is cheaper than at home. It is not!

My last operation in Australia (hip replacement) cost me the price of the newspapers they delivered to my bed.  Well, that, and the many hundreds of thousand dollars I'd forked out for private health insurance and Medicare levies over a lifetime.

I probably wouldn't be wrong in thinking medical tourists coming here for treatment don't have private cover back home, and they have done the money sums before coming. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

It's adds realism to a comparison if all costs are included.

For me. as someone living here, now self-insured, and a frequent hospital patient, I find Thailand is much cheaper (despite rising costs) than the western medical treatment that you pay for in a less direct way.

As others have stated India is the cheapest for medical tourism (I've checked), but for some there is a psychological barrier in contemplating doing so in India.

As already pointed out, this is nothing more than an advertisement.  They are part of 'Digital Broker Venture' who are into much more than medical recommendations.  Founded in Phuket, you can read all about it on Google, of course.

Considering the very few hospitals that have international accreditation, it's surprising to see a statement as Thailand being one of the most popular destinations for medical tourism.

• Like 1

Once upon a time an ELECTED Government in Thailand introduced a Medical Insurance Scheme for Foreigners.

it worked very well but then an UNELECTED GOVERNMENT Ditched the scheme, leaving Expats, who in Good  Faith dropped other coverage to take up the Thai Government Scheme OUT IN THE COLD ( figuratively speaking.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

.....because TAT marketing is telling them that Thailand is cheaper than at home. It is not!

At home you have to get a prescription.  Thailand - no.  If the person is paying cash Thailand is cheaper at most hospitals.  Or he may be on the FMP for VA or Tricare for retired military. 

It is not! is not true in many cases.  May be for you but not for me. 

I had dental work done in Pattaya 12 years ago and 2 months ago I went back to the same dentist to have the same type of work done and the price for the same work was 3 time the amount it was 12 years ago. I got a quote from an international dentist office in Nha Trang Vietnam for half of what the dentist in Pattaya now wants.

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Gotta say, I don't want Thai doctors poking around inside of me, unless it was a dire and immediate life threatening emergency. Beyond sewing up an open wound after an accident, forget it.

Not to mention the foreigner x5 or foreigner x10 prices in many hospitals.

I'd go almost anywhere else first.

4 years ago I got lazy stopped exercising, eating right, got fat and had a heart attack. My wife rushed me to Vibahwadi hospital in Bangkok where they immediately performed an Angioplasty and put in a stent. That was on a Friday night, Saturday morn they said I was ok and could leave Sunday morning but I asked for more tests and left Monday morning. Total cost was $8,000 usd. I called Mass General Hospital  in Boston ,MA where I am from and asked how much for the procedure, they said $45,000 usd

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

As for dentistry, well, a cap here costs half or 1/3 of the price in Oz. And well done too. The dental clinics in BKK are large & the dentists can therefore specialize, so you get a more professional approach than you would get in your usual one-person suburban dental clinic in Oz.

That has been my consistent experience now over the last 5 or 6 years.

When it comes to Dentistry I  agree. 

But I have found that the  higher priced  "International " Hospitals  are all expense  with poor outcome in medical .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

As already pointed out, this is nothing more than an advertisement.  They are part of 'Digital Broker Venture' who are into much more than medical recommendations.  Founded in Phuket, you can read all about it on Google, of course.

Considering the very few hospitals that have international accreditation, it's surprising to see a statement as Thailand being one of the most popular destinations for medical tourism.

You can read their ad or here is part of it ---Thailand was the first Asian country to achieve the prestigious Joint Commission International (JCI) status. Known as JCI accreditation, The healthcare bar is set very high with only the best of the best achieving the ‘Gold Standard’ in healthcare and patient safety. In fact, this idyllic location boasts more than  60 clinics with international healthcare accreditation measured on par with US standards and practices. 

https://www.jointcommissioninternational.org/about-jci/jci-accredited-organizations/?c=Thailand

The site above lists 66 Hospitals and clincs in Thailand that are Internationally Accredited 

34 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I worked in the healthcare industry for 30 odd years. I will not attend a private hospital here any more. They prescribe unnecessary tests, unnecessary overpriced drugs, and frequent visits just to drive the bill up. 

I cottoned on to it on my first visit to the private hospital in my town. If I need help now I visit the public hospital who is perfectly ok and you see the same doctors who work at the private hospital.

As far as I can see, private hospitals are just ripping off the gullible.

My cardiologist works at the private hospital and the public hospital and has a clinic.  He costs me 500 baht a visit in the private hospital.  I don't agree with you.  I've been to private and public.  I have been operated on in both.  I don't agree with you. 

My insurance pays.  So which would you pick?  My wife has insurance for the private and public and she picks the private.  My wife does not agree with you either. 

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

past half year or so I have paid a number of visits to Siriraj in BKK.

A very large government hospital, also a Uni hospital I think.

prices OK I think

Am fairly pleased with the physicians. I reckon they are pretty good.

(not at all happy with customer service staff and nursing staff,

pretty useless, rude, unhelpful)

What you said in your last para. is no better in an expensive private hospital. Try Bnh if you want really rude and hostile nursing. 

Dental clinics in Chiang Mai are very professional, and some have state of the art equipment. Elite Smile at Pantip is very good. The cost of an implant is still significantly less than one in Australia AFTER I get a 50% refund from private health cover. $40 for a simpler filling at the Rajavej Dental Clinic, minimum $180 in Australia.

On the other hand, I have very little faith in Thai doctors for anything more than minor ailments. I go back to Australia for anything major.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

4 years ago I got lazy stopped exercising, eating right, got fat and had a heart attack. My wife rushed me to Vibahwadi hospital in Bangkok where they immediately performed an Angioplasty and put in a stent. That was on a Friday night, Saturday morn they said I was ok and could leave Sunday morning but I asked for more tests and left Monday morning. Total cost was $8,000 usd. I called Mass General Hospital  in Boston ,MA where I am from and asked how much for the procedure, they said $45,000 usd

A significant part of the bill was probably the stent, which is only available from major medical providers overseas.

I needed 2 stents in one spot in my upper left leg in 2013 that I had done at Mongutwattana hospital, my usual first choice as I live nearby. The doctor initially quoted me about 200,000 baht (~US$6500). Even so, I dutifully complained a little hoping it might get me home faster. When the final bill came to only 140,000 baht, I asked the doctor why? "Oh, you said it was expensive so I found a really looong stent to cover both spots." Stents are usually about $2000 to $4000 depending on how much profit everyone takes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

When it comes to Dentistry I  agree. 

But I have found that the  higher priced  "International " Hospitals  are all expense  with poor outcome in medical .

I've had good outcomes in Private Thai hospitals.  But, I have only been 40 times over the past 10 years so that's probably not as much experience as you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wazzupnow said:

i do not know about india i have my doubts for everything coming from overthere, but i do know i used to pay 200  euro a month for my medicine in my homecountry (all bayer)

now i pay 30 euro for the same medicine for 3 months (all bayer )

15mths ago,I needed a prostrate procedure(Holep) soon discovered that the fees in Thailand were expensive, plus the Doctors were basically incompetent. Went to India, on the recommendation of another T.V member,where I received first class treatment at a fraction of the cost of treatment in Thailand or the U.K.

Therefore I would not hesitate to recommend medical treatment in India, although I would also suggest that first you make inquires regarding the competency of the medical team,the same as you should do for anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

I have got to say this, with regards to the hospital I use, 

Bangkok Hospital.

I have had 2 major, life threatening surgeries, 3 and 2 years ago. 

1- An artery in my neck had to be replaced after I had 2 strokes. 

2- I had to have a Lung removed. 

Since then I have had medication and care from

Bangkok Hospital. I will be 65 this year thanks to them 

and my family. 

• Like 1

has got lot more expensive and is a gamble on quality/expertise you will get .

Even dental work getting quite spendy .

Has a lot of potential plus points as can have holiday at same time but rising costs and no dedicated easy medical visa keeps it from gaining ground .

It's cheap, mostly. Gotta do your research on net first for a quality job. Doctors don't have time to do that. They are relying on old information. The over pricing and money chasing by some is incompassionate.

I don't know why private hospitals are allowed where money is the prime objective. But government s are slack so I understand.

I've had sutures, follicular transplant, and migraine treatment done at reasonable prices.

Australian Medicare levy ensures all sick people get seen and attended to for free. If you want speedy service then the better off get private insurance. Not sure why other countries struggle with that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Christophers200 said:

Thai medical/dental treatment is very 'iffy' outside the most expensive of private hospitals/clinics. Buyer Beware!

It's not iffy outside the more expensive hospitals, more iffy inside the expensive ones. I had excellent treatment at Chula for a skin condition where Bumrungrad doc shrugged his shoulder and charged me 2200 Thb.

1 minute ago, Letseng said:

It's not iffy outside the more expensive hospitals, more iffy inside the expensive ones. I had excellent treatment at Chula for a skin condition where Bumrungrad doc shrugged his shoulder and charged me 2200 Thb.

Chulalongkorn hospital is a university teaching hospital - If you were well enough to battle through the long queues and bureaucracy I am sure you did receive bargain basement treatment. 

• Like 1