Finnish boy, 5, savaged on Ao Nang beach by pack of wild dogs - rabies feared

webfact

Like so many things here, Thailand's policy on euthanasia is pathetically out of date. Stray dogs should be rounded up and put down if not claimed. People who find their pets have become vicious and uncontrollable should have the option of having a vet humanely euthanize them, rather than just turning them loose. The same goes for old, sick pets that have no quality of life. The Buddhist belief of letting them suffer has no place in today's world.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can weather the storm on social media, this too shall pass. 

As did the ones before, and all the ones still to come. 

Similar dynamic in my 1st world country with mass shootings.  Government officials hide under their desks waiting for the peasant uprising on Facebook to blow over.

Thailand animal cruelty laws.. Haha what a joke!  Most Thais don't have a clue how to look animals, plenty of animals are kept locked in cages etc. 

we have packs of stray dogs everywhere near where we live.  Some idiots keep feeding them and making the situation worse.

Stray Dogs should be neuted /spaded. The government is just too lazy to do anything about it. Animal cruelty is a lame excuse. 

I have a 5 year old daughter and we always have to be wary of dogs here. 

My heart goes out to this poor little boy. 

Stray dogs are a disgrace in this country.

I add my voice to the best wishes for the boy and for some exemplary action about those dogs - I can only dream about an action on dogs at all other beaches with the same problem.

But the real roots of the issue are higher up, and lie with the people.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Sounds like the old days in Cha Am and Hua Hin. Dangerous as heck if even if it was adult an walking by themselves. Personal experience on that one. Nothing good comes from these mutts. Time to kill them.

Not the old days,  it still a big problem here.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Sounds like the old days in Cha Am and Hua Hin. Dangerous as heck if even if it was adult an walking by themselves. Personal experience on that one. Nothing good comes from these mutts. Time to kill them.

I live in Bangkok and have been menaced fairly often by dogs. It's usually one, they notice you, then there is a pack of them. I love dogs but I have no sympathy for the feral dogs here. I'll cheer if they are all put down...

It can only be hoped that this boy recovers well. Bog bites are worse than meets the eye when inflicted on muscle tissue especially because the teeth  do not simply pierce the skin but tear up tissue underneath as the dog shakes its head as it bites. I know because I have had such an injury and they are long in healing.

This  case alone should be initiative enough to wave  Article 44 at and take lasting effective measures to  cull strays. When dogs pack they are a genuine menace even to other dogs! With or  without the presence of rabies.

The futile and extremely expensive rabies vaccination programs that are randomly applied do not compensate for attacks like this 

Licensed and registered or permanent removal. The new industry of salvaging dogs is no solution to the real numbers of perpetually breeding dogs.

Like anyone else, I have to deal with loose dogs whenever I ride my bike.  A lot of them belong to a house, gate open, come and go as they please, staking out the area in front of their owner's house as their domain.  I've gotten to know the dogs on my usual route, there are only 1 or 2 that will pursue me consistently.  Stopping my bike snaps them out of their trance.  If I ride by them on my motor bike, no reaction at all. 

Haven't been bitten.  Yet.  I realize when I ride the pushbike through new areas, I'm rolling the dice.  Just a matter of time.  Unless I get flattened by a truck/car first.  ????

What a senseless tragedy. My heart goes out to this family. I hope the government will pay for the numerous reconstructive surgeries he might need. No even counting the numerous hours working with a good therapist to put this trauma behind him. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He intimated that he is constrained by what he can do due to Thailand's strict animal cruelty laws.

In that case, why doesn't the government implement Article 44 towards a justifiable cause instead of using it only when they disagree with something.

Such a weak excuse about being constrained.  

7 hours ago, seajae said:

way past time all these strays were destroyed before more people are attacked, there are way too many strays in Thailand including cats. Unfortunately thais get dogs then simply leave them roaming the streets, time for all strays to be picked up and if not claimed destroyed, would also be good to introduce laws making owners responsible for their dogs including big fines if they are found roaming. Big difference between a dog lover and the idiots that dont take care of them or just release them onto the streets

how about a government subsidized neutering and spaying program?

RE - He intimated that he is constrained by what he can do due to Thailand's strict animal cruelty laws. 

Maybe create a "Farang Cruelty Law" as well before its too late ...

7 hours ago, neeray said:

I spent a week in the area a few years ago with several days at or around the beach. Never saw a single dog. But things change from time to time. Best wishes for this unfortunate little tyke.

I wonder how TAT will counter this very bad press.

"No Thai dog could have done this! They were dogs that had sneaked across the border from Burma"?

21 minutes ago, just bob said:

Quoting this post just to bring it back up.  this is TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

During the day its normally not any issues - its first when the sun goes down the territorial instincts kicks in ...

Here are some useful tricks:

5 Non-Violent Tricks to Deal with Stray Dogs

https://www.thewayofslowtravel.com/2013/12/28/5-non-violent-tricks-to-deal-with-stray-dogs/

Archived