Finnish boy, 5, savaged on Ao Nang beach by pack of wild dogs - rabies feared

webfact

Finnish boy, 5, savaged on Ao Nang beach by pack of wild dogs - rabies feared

1ppm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A five year old boy from Finland is in a serious condition in hospital after being savaged by a pack of stray dogs on Thailand's Ao Nang beach in Krabi. 

The animals went for the little boy's throat and he was covered in blood as his distraught father carried him to an ambulance. 

He had ten wounds. He had just gone into the sea to get sand off before going home with his dad and brother.

Doctors said there is a very real fear the boy may have contracted rabies.

It is the latest of many attacks - especially on young children.

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The chief of the local administration has said he has tried everything. Now the dogs are set to be cleared off the beach entirely. 

Ao Nang in Krabi in the south is one of Thailand's most well known beaches and a mecca for tourists especially those from Scandinavia. 

Thaivisa notes that it is only a matter of time before news of attacks like this seriously affect tourism in the area. 

Daily News reported that father Appo Nikula, aged about 30, carried his boy to the ambulance after being helped by locals and tourists alike. 

A pack of 4 or 5 dogs were still snapping at him as he carried his stricken and bloodied son to safety. The boy had two gashes to his throat, lacerations on his back and bottom and a five centimeter wound on his leg. There were ten injuries after the mauling on Wednesday. 

Appo had been with his two children. The five year old had gone back in the sea to get sand off before going back to the hotel. This is when the dogs struck surrounding the screaming five year old. 

Doctors at Krabi Nakharin Hospital said they were most worried about two things. The cuts to the central throat area and the possibility the boy has contracted rabies. 

He has been given shots and has been admitted and is under close observation. 

Local authority chief Phankham Kittithornkun was exasperated with the situation saying that spaying, round-ups and vaccinations had all been tried. 

But still people kept leaving their dogs at the beach. 

He had ordered more decisive action. A meeting and survey is planned for today that could see all the animals rounded up and homes found for them elsewhere.

He is asking national park authorities for assistance.

He intimated that he is constrained by what he can do due to Thailand's strict animal cruelty laws. 

Meanwhile one operator on the beach who was not named told Daily News that many Europeans and Chinese tourists had been attacked on the beach. 

And the victims were often children aged between 4 and 8. 

It was a long standing problem.

Krabi is known to be an area where rabies is rampant. 

Sources: Daily News | Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-21

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent a week in the area a few years ago with several days at or around the beach. Never saw a single dog. But things change from time to time. Best wishes for this unfortunate little tyke.

I wonder how TAT will counter this very bad press.

way past time all these strays were destroyed before more people are attacked, there are way too many strays in Thailand including cats. Unfortunately thais get dogs then simply leave them roaming the streets, time for all strays to be picked up and if not claimed destroyed, would also be good to introduce laws making owners responsible for their dogs including big fines if they are found roaming. Big difference between a dog lover and the idiots that dont take care of them or just release them onto the streets

This is really terrible and first up, I hope the young lad recovers fully and quickly.

Stray dogs are a serious problem nationwide, and it is well overdue for the authorities to really address the situation permanently, before we have more stories of injured and dead children. And not just in areas where it is likely to affect tourism.

The number of stray dogs in that area has been increasing. The local dog centre has helped with sterilising many of them but still the numbers multiply.
This is the 3rd incident like this, in Ao Nang, in as many weeks. Hopefully they will actually do something now.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

At first glance at the OP photo, I thought the two dogs were dead after being shot following this vicious attack. However it looks as though they are merely sleeping. 

I am a dog owner, but am completely against this my bpen rai attitude shown by many Thais when it comes to these packs of stray dogs. Simply put, they should be removed from the areas where they congregate and cause a nuisance and euthanized, destroyed, eradicated, killed, call it what you will. Just get rid of the damned problem instead of relocating it

As for the poor lad that they attacked, I hope he recovers fully and is well looked after for this traumatic experience.

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile one operator on the beach who was not named told Daily News that many Europeans and Chinese tourists had been attacked on the beach. 

And the victims were often children aged between 4 and 8. 

It was a long standing problem.

Krabi is known to be an area where rabies is rampant.

Time for some SERIOUS action!!!

Kill the stray dogs. sTop avoiding the crisis that is growing populations of feral dogs. My son was attacked by a dog in our soi. I killed it myself as nobody would deal with it. all the bleeding heaqrts must face the facst that there is not a 'forever home' for every dog and that in this environment they become quite savage. its sad. I am a dog lover but like people some dogs are past helping and the emotional do-gooders who fantasize that there is a loving solution are simply an obstacle to removing a very real danger. 

31 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Sounds like shooting is next up for the solution.

I agree! Start with that today please General...shoot all them pesky soidogs in tourist area's or don't expect anymore tourists...and also install teams of lifeguards at the popular beaches.

Sad fro the kid hope he recovers

Shouldn't be a problem to get someone to get rid of the dogs its a predominantly Muslim area so less Buddhist influence well apart from them leaving the dogs there in the first place

45 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Cant wait for all the keyboard warriors who criticized the security guard for shooting the biting dog the other day to justify this one...

Poor kid. Hope he recovers well

I critisized the guard for shooting a puppy that had done nothing. This however is a totally different situation where the dogs are proven to be a danger. Two totally different situations. 

I would also not condone it if people without care and a license to carry a gun would start shooting in public. I am not an American so I don't like guns and see the dangers with idiots handeling guns.

A culling of problem dogs by professionals is a good thing, the shooting of a puppy that was not a problem dog (excuse of the guy shooting the dog) by a guy with no license and an illegal gun in a public place is a problem.

39 minutes ago, neeray said:

I spent a week in the area a few years ago with several days at or around the beach. Never saw a single dog. But things change from time to time. Best wishes for this unfortunate little tyke.

Was there last month, Ao Nang Beach has at least 12-15 wilds dogs sitting around and coming to you in a not so friendly way.... the other beach No Pharat Thara on a daily basis has around 20 wild dogs as well, never saw a guard or local shop owner and park ranger pushing them away, saw/heard them barking and jumping into people and mostly going towards small kids trying to grab their food

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

Cant wait for all the keyboard warriors who criticized the security guard for shooting the biting dog the other day to justify this one...

Give it a rest.

Local authority chief Phankham Kittithornkun was exasperated with the situation saying that spaying, round-ups and vaccinations had all been tried. 

But still people kept leaving their dogs at the beach.

Go after the irresponsible owners abandoning their pets when they grow tired of them.

6 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Surely Thai authorities must act now thousands of people are dying every year....Oops sorry wrong thread ????????

Well the Chinese and British government have just asked Thailand to improve the safety for tourists...guess the Finnish government has to do the same.....

But but the Thai love their dogs soooooo much! 

40 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I agree! Start with that today please General...shoot all them pesky soidogs in tourist area's or don't expect anymore tourists...and also install teams of lifeguards at the popular beaches.

Dont get the Lifeguard bit.?. If yer cant fly dont jump off the roof.

What Thailand desperately needs is an official, government funded animal control service. There should be daily patrols by trained individuals in all areas where large groups of people gather, beaches being a prime example. It would be another excuse for a fancy uniform so I'm sure that there would be plenty of applicants. Whether the dogs should be destroyed or just re-housed in purpose made compounds is of course open for debate.  

27 minutes ago, robblok said:

I critisized the guard for shooting a puppy that had done nothing. This however is a totally different situation where the dogs are proven to be a danger. Two totally different situations. 

Wrong, you put the boot into a Thai guy after deciding, based on nothing credible, that the facts reported in the previous article (i.e. the dog had been chasing and biting people and was accordingly) were wrong,  because it didn't fit with your anti-Thai views. 

1 minute ago, SammyT said:

Wrong, you put the boot into a Thai guy after deciding, based on nothing credible, that the facts reported in the previous article (i.e. the dog had been chasing and biting people and was accordingly) were wrong,  because it didn't fit with your anti-Thai views. 

Your accusing me of being anti Thai, that is the funniest thing I have heard all year (year is still young). I am usually accused of being a Thai apologist on a regular scale. So your remark is totally baseless. I also don't understand what this has to do with being anti Thai as I made no negative remarks about Thais just about this guy who was lying through his teeth. He was the only one reporting the dog has bitten people. Other Thais said it was not but that was indeed not in the report but heard by local sources. 

Anyway If you think its a good idea to have people with unlicensed guns shooting up the public space.. be my guest maybe move to the US. I prefer professionals to handle it and not random crazy private people.  

1 hour ago, neeray said:

what bad press? - never happened , fake news.

1 minute ago, hansnl said:

If rabies is in the area culling all is the only viable solution.

If a dog has bitten a human it can never be trusted, it will bite again.

culling is the only option - rabies or not.

Reduce the soi dog population to zero. 

24 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

3AM, One Soldier and Spotter, Night Scope Rifle, in a few nights no one bitten again, no Vegan thin skins offended, no more attacks, but thats too simple. Must have 3 Meetings in Mandarin  BKK first.  I have 3 Dogs so dont bother with excuses.

But but but, we are all Buddhists and don't believe in killing animals (humans are Ok) - pass me a few more pork steaks and a couple of fish for the BBQ please . 

I have taken to wearing a dashcam while exercising due of the feral menace. The sort that feed these pests are the sort that deny ownership when they cause accident or injury yet bleat when Mutley finds out what the stick is for! The footage serves the same purpose as the pair in my car...

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

He was the only one reporting the dog has bitten people. Other Thais said it was not but that was indeed not in the report but heard by local sources. 

"Unreported local sources" 

Sounds credible. 

13 minutes ago, hansnl said:

If rabies is in the area culling all is the only viable solution.

If a dog has bitten a human it can never be trusted, it will bite again.

Culling and burning the dead dogs...so no other Thai can dig them up and eat them. (like last year upcountry where the boys dug them up for a bbq-fest.)

1 hour ago, SammyT said:

Absolutely correct!

Some so called fanatical animal welfare people and so called humanitarians are the same - one protects the rabid animals the other protects the rabid humans (terrorists, freedom fighters, whatever you name them...)

Archived