Finnish boy, 5, savaged on Ao Nang beach by pack of wild dogs - rabies feared

webfact

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, robblok said:

I critisized the guard for shooting a puppy that had done nothing. This however is a totally different situation where the dogs are proven to be a danger. Two totally different situations. 

I would also not condone it if people without care and a license to carry a gun would start shooting in public. I am not an American so I don't like guns and see the dangers with idiots handeling guns.

A culling of problem dogs by professionals is a good thing, the shooting of a puppy that was not a problem dog (excuse of the guy shooting the dog) by a guy with no license and an illegal gun in a public place is a problem.

I agree no guns. A Hakapik is a safer solution, oh and yes I am being serious. 

Hope the young lad recovers soon. 

Sadly, this backward thinking country only responds to image damaging articles, photos or international coverage. The packs of stray dogs are out of control in many areas and the danger to the public is of no concern it seems.

Expect more attacks on people and more incidents of animal cruelty. When this affects Thailand's tourism (through adverse reports on the book of face) action will take place, not until. My biggest fear is a major rabies outbreak, with the number of strays it could be hard to contain with the efforts that have been shown so far.

Feckless government. They take pride in rounding hapless overstayers always pictured with a large group of police and military and they can't figure out how to use those same resources to stop feral dog attacks? When you have this many attacks, that means the population of feral dogs is long out of control. This government, like many others these days has turned the world on its head. I fear that the government is just too corrupt and without integrity to do anything anymore other than scoring cheap points with the public by demonizing, harassing the same foreigners who brought hard currency to Thailand and help build it. My poor Thailand, how I loved you. The Thailand I loved has succumbed to all that is corrupt and anti-democratic. So aside from just being dog eat dog, its now dog eat human as the big dogs collect big salaries by doing absolutely nothing of significance...  ????

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

Cant wait for all the keyboard warriors who criticized the security guard for shooting the biting dog the other day to justify this one...

Poor kid. Hope he recovers well

The chief of the local administration has said he has tried everything. Now the dogs are set to be cleared off the beach entirely. 

Obviously not as this has happened, I've been coming to ao nang for nearly 15 years & theres always been packs of stray dogs roaming around & not just the beach, a few years ago they came round where I live in the early hours & attacked my neighbours cat & its kittens & broke one of there backs.....

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Pepper spray does the trick 

Yes, but unfortunately pepper spray is ILLEGAL in Thailand as it is considered as a weapon -  but like most illegal things in Thailand it is readily available. The question is whether the police would take note of you using pepper spray to protect yourself - I will assume it is depending of the situation. The pepper spray is banned so it may help you against a dog attack, but you will be at risk to face a fine and confiscation of the spray - but a fine may be a better choice than the risk for rabies ... :thumbsup:

I am not frighten by soi dogs in thailand but have been threaten by 3 or 4 once in bkk with a friend, we handled a big stone each and faced the dogs, they left after a while... but what can do a 5 years old ? 

best wishes of recovery to the little boy

"It was a long standing problem". Yet nothing successful has been done to contain the situation.

Apparently cruelty to animals is more important than human lives.As if the previous issues like tourists being bashed, ripped are not enough. This situation of strays can be controlled IF THERE IS A WILL. cull all the strays and protect Humans.

42 minutes ago, Donut21 said:

Very sad, Hope the little boy recovers.  In the UK all dogs have to be micro chipped and wear a collar, easy to do and any stray dog is picked up by the dog warden and the owner has to pay a fine.  Easy to do.

is there the Will to do? To me it is lacking.

Not going to happen 12 mouths ago in Bkk the government said they were rounding up all the stray Soi dogs and a  relocation to the country or be put down. 

And 1 yr on its situation normal 

Like everything here its all  talk when the shit hits the fan they try for 1 week no results it's to hard so  time to have lunch. 

I hope the little guy is OK  not a nice way to spend your holiday or remember thailand is it? 

8 hours ago, briansbiology said:

Kill the stray dogs. sTop avoiding the crisis that is growing populations of feral dogs. My son was attacked by a dog in our soi. I killed it myself as nobody would deal with it. all the bleeding heaqrts must face the facst that there is not a 'forever home' for every dog and that in this environment they become quite savage. its sad. I am a dog lover but like people some dogs are past helping and the emotional do-gooders who fantasize that there is a loving solution are simply an obstacle to removing a very real danger. 

I have killed more than i could count over the years

After they snap at me once, i come back with their last meal or drive over them in the dark

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This is really terrible and first up, I hope the young lad recovers fully and quickly.

Stray dogs are a serious problem nationwide, and it is well overdue for the authorities to really address the situation permanently, before we have more stories of injured and dead children. And not just in areas where it is likely to affect tourism.

Ditto, hope the innocent young lad recovers from the injuries & doesn't suffer further trauma from the experience.

As for Soi dogs, strays, un-wanted pets whatever label you wish to put on them we've had hundreds of attack stories up & down the country, inflicted on adults as well as children.

Nothing seems to be done because of the anarchic laws that seem to remain in place even with evidence that things need to be changed !

But Soi dogs seem to have a higher ranking than people in Thailand !

9 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Sounds like shooting is next up for the solution.

It is the only solution.

Comes with a 100% guarantee that the dog will never do it again.

How many news articles need to be read before something effective is finally done ?

Firstly my thoughts and wishes for a good recovery go to the young boy and family.

Secondly, I am a dog lover and have always had dogs when I lived in the UK. But over here the situation no demands drastic action. I mean cull, put to sleep or whatever. Thai people have no respect for their own animals so why should we?? In my village we have four or five dogs that are left to roam free and bark whenever they like and chase some people on motorbikes. Somebody opposite has been locked up in prison and lived up in the hills. Now we have gained 2 more puppies to join the others. And yes, they have learnt to howl.

In my opinion, all dogs should live in the home, especially at night and if not take them away and any wild dogs and destroy. This has got to be stopped nationwide now!!    

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Local authority chief Phankham Kittithornkun was exasperated with the situation saying that spaying, round-ups and vaccinations had all been tried. 

But still people kept leaving their dogs at the beach. 

He had ordered more decisive action. A meeting and survey is planned for today that could see all the animals rounded up and homes found for them elsewhere.

This here is the root of the problem.

Archived