Finnish boy, 5, savaged on Ao Nang beach by pack of wild dogs - rabies feared

webfact

12 hours ago, briansbiology said:

Kill the stray dogs. sTop avoiding the crisis that is growing populations of feral dogs. My son was attacked by a dog in our soi. I killed it myself as nobody would deal with it. all the bleeding heaqrts must face the facst that there is not a 'forever home' for every dog and that in this environment they become quite savage. its sad. I am a dog lover but like people some dogs are past helping and the emotional do-gooders who fantasize that there is a loving solution are simply an obstacle to removing a very real danger. 

Your are right, and those animals lovers out there, would rather see your little baby die of rabies. If you love those stray dogs so much please by all means take them home to your backyard and look after them. Bath them, feed them and show your love to them. Unless you do that otherwise don't shout your head off when they cull them to prevent some babies dying. Rabies is not some small simple illness .

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, krabi local said:

The number of stray dogs in that area has been increasing. The local dog centre has helped with sterilising many of them but still the numbers multiply.
This is the 3rd incident like this, in Ao Nang, in as many weeks. Hopefully they will actually do something now.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

News flash.  Sterilized dogs can still bite and also can carry rabies. 

12 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

What Thailand desperately needs is an official, government funded animal control service. There should be daily patrols by trained individuals in all areas where large groups of people gather, beaches being a prime example. It would be another excuse for a fancy uniform so I'm sure that there would be plenty of applicants. Whether the dogs should be destroyed or just re-housed in purpose made compounds is of course open for debate.  

Well i say that if they are not owned then euthanize the lot of them.

13 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

At first glance at the OP photo, I thought the two dogs were dead after being shot following this vicious attack. However it looks as though they are merely sleeping. 

I am a dog owner, but am completely against this my bpen rai attitude shown by many Thais when it comes to these packs of stray dogs. Simply put, they should be removed from the areas where they congregate and cause a nuisance and euthanized, destroyed, eradicated, killed, call it what you will. Just get rid of the damned problem instead of relocating it

As for the poor lad that they attacked, I hope he recovers fully and is well looked after for this traumatic experience.

Thai's don't mind killing or jailing a person for committing such an offence or just having cannibis but when it comes to an animal???? No go area.

I wish the boy well and a full recovery. 

1 hour ago, balo said:

The Finnish family thought they were going on a vacation to a dream country , where paradise awaits .

But It's all just propaganda from the TAT!   It's filthy , unhygienic and pestered with sick animals that carries rabies. 

Try the Maldives instead, made for tourists , best beaches in the world, now that's a true dream destination. 

I hope the message gets back to Scandinavia and Finland, The Maldives are now on its way up on the bucket list for many travelers. 

been there 12 times but every island now wants to be upmarket and expensive, gone are the cheap dive islands. don't think I will go back again.

'cheap' is relative as regards the Maldives

15 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

I have been aggressively approached by stray dogs whilst walking the beach. But i carry a good sized bamboo stick with a very sharp end. They don't like it up em Capt Mannering.

Yes, if the dogs attack you , dont just swing hoping not to hurt them , go in for the kill from the offset

14 hours ago, SammyT said:

Cant wait for all the keyboard warriors who criticized the security guard for shooting the biting dog the other day to justify this one...

Poor kid. Hope he recovers well

And like I said then, in Thai society the farang is lower than a dog. Get used to it.

Yes, poor kid. 

6 hours ago, Donut21 said:

Very sad, Hope the little boy recovers.  In the UK all dogs have to be micro chipped and wear a collar, easy to do and any stray dog is picked up by the dog warden and the owner has to pay a fine.  Easy to do.

That's nice. But I think Krabi is in Thailand. Different laws, differerent culture.

1 hour ago, ravip said:

Hahaha. Maldives? Ever been there?

Plenty of places in Maldives , not only luxurious. I am talking about families going on a 1 or 2 week vacation here!! 

Got nothing to do with us expats/retired people choosing to live in Thailand because we have a girlfriend , wife etc. 

Or try another cheaper destination , Greece, Cyprus, Tenerife Islands, Madeira, Portugal, Spain etc. Much safer for a family with young kids.    

6 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

News flash.  Sterilized dogs can still bite and also can carry rabies. 

Sterilised dogs usually are more placid, less aggressive.

Vets here refuse to sterilise females before they have had their first litter of pups, thereby exacerbating the problem. Some cockeyed Buddhist belief, apparently.

Local authority chief Phankham Kittithornkun said, "He had ordered more decisive action. A meeting and survey is planned for today that could see all the animals rounded up and homes found for them elsewhere."

I say send all the unleashed dogs in populated areas to the home in the sky; plain and simple.  There is no room for uncontrol animals that are vicious and diseased in areas where humans frequent.  I think Thailand need to cough up money for damages for this family and every other person stray dogs negatively impact.  Costing the government big bahts will be a fast and sure way to force a permanent solution, by the government, to ensure the public's safety from attacking animals.  

Speedy recovery for the young lad and the best to his family.

There are just few things I don't like about Thailand.
Top1 of those things may be stray dogs. It's just ridiculous. Many times I didn't feel safe because they just popped up in my way.
When I lived in the suburbs for a month, I ONCE decided to opt for a walk from the minivan to the house instead of taking a motortaxi.
That was a mistake because on my way there was a dozen of stray dogs. One of them almost jumped at me. Shit was scary.

And I'm more afraid of dogs than a regular person because I was bit by a dog when I was a child.
So I hate walking past a bigger stray dog. It happened to me closer to the city as well and on the island where there were not people.

It astounds me that your government is not doing anything about it (I guess?). 

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This is really terrible and first up, I hope the young lad recovers fully and quickly.

Stray dogs are a serious problem nationwide, and it is well overdue for the authorities to really address the situation permanently, before we have more stories of injured and dead children. And not just in areas where it is likely to affect tourism.

Well that's an awful lot -- coming from a "darkside" dog.   ????

Hope the poor boy get better soon.

The control of dog, cat, rat, bird problem start with garbage disposal. If that isn’t sorted anything you try to do to sort the problem will fail in the long run.  

Fix that and have all pet dogs and cats microchipped registered and vaccinated

But fixing the root of a problem isn’t Thailand strong point.

Archived