Thai baht surges against weakening US dollar

webfact

51 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

Australian AUD took a hit today thanks to some Chinese ports banning our exports. Oz dollar could be heading towards the dreaded 19 baht rate before years out.

I wont be able to live here anymore and i won't be alone.

When looking at the AUD-THB from 1994 to current day its recent trend downward is not promising...now at a low last seen back in early 2009 and the 2001-2002 time frames....maybe it's just a 7 to 10 year cycle thing.   

image.png.ab598a1f538565dc07d2a22ec1588f18.png

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You don't seem to understand international trade. The USA has a bigger appetite for Thai goods than Thailand has for US goods. Nothing to do with tariffs. This is the same situation as the US trade deficit with China.

That's not true at all. Please tell me what a car made in Thailand would cost in the US and how much a car made in the US would cost in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

That's not true at all. Please tell me what a car made in Thailand would cost in the US and how much a car made in the US would cost in Thailand. 

What has that got to do with it?

If the US buys a billion dollars worth of goods from Thailand, but, Thailand only buys a million dollars of goods from the US, then the US ends up with a trade deficit.

Why do you think that the US has been pressuring Germany and China (both exporting economies) to stimulate domestic spending?

Sheesh.....another person who needs to study economics 101.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, curtklay said:

Yeah, great. Just when I need to transfer more money here to comply with the new immigration visa rules.

Anyone else smell a conspiracy?

I think it was Henry Kissinger who said even paranoids have enemies.

29 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

What has that got to do with it?

If the US buys a billion dollars worth of goods from Thailand, but, Thailand only buys a million dollars of goods from the US, then the US ends up with a trade deficit.

Why do you think that the US has been pressuring Germany and China (both exporting economies) to stimulate domestic spending?

Sheesh.....another person who needs to study economics 101.

What you are talking about is Math. Economics is completely different. Is this not what the US and China are going around the dance floor about at the moment. Of course, tariffs make a huge difference. If US goods were cheaper in Thailand because there were no import duties then Thailand buying US made goods would change. Because they would be cheaper. Like Thai goods are cheaper in the US due to low tariffs. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

What you are talking about is Math. Economics is completely different. Is this not what the US and China are going around the dance floor about at the moment. Of course, tariffs make a huge difference. If US goods were cheaper in Thailand because there were no import duties then Thailand buying US made goods would change. Because they would be cheaper. Like Thai goods are cheaper in the US due to low tariffs. 

No, economics, though, like many subjects, maths is involved (like accounting, physics etc. etc.). As far as I know, international trade falls under economics. I know that because I took a course in economics and international trade was included. I'll give you the point that tariffs come into it, but, Thailand is a poor country in relation to the USA. To expect them to buy the same value of goods as the US buys from Thailand is totally unrealistic, especially when you take labour costs in the two respective countries into account. US goods to Thais are expensive. Thai goods to the US relatively cheap. That's called "comparative advantage" in economics.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic

The Bhat is getting stronger because of the Chinese money pouring in to buy condos as well as tourist spending lots of money, this has raised the amout of foreign currency that Thailand has on account. Tell all the Chinese to stop and it will go down and the bhat will be weaker. Too some people every thing that happens in Thailand is a conspiracy, it says more about them than Thailand

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Not a good time for new arrivals needing to bring in a lump sum to get set up here - house, car, etc.  Similar scenario when we moved over end of 2012, wiring in money early 2013.  :hit-the-fan:

I did well in the end of 2016 when I moved here and needed money for cars/motorcycles/housing/etc, but taking a hammering now, I guess you have to accept the good with the bad sometimes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JaiLai said:

The amounts that crusty old foreigners send to meet the new criteria is a mere drop in the ocean (maybe not even that much), the Ex rate is hardly manipulated for that......seriously?!!!

At last someone makes some sense!! Thank you thank you thank you ???????? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bowerboy said:

I would expect this to change after the election once there is at least some kind of checks and Baka ave in place and the Junta have had their fill at the trough.

The Junta will still be in charge after the election and Juntas have never had their fill at the trough. There's always more to be had until the populace raises up against them.???? 

Tourism, real estate sales, exports etc will strongly suffer with this artificially inflated Thai Bhat... it is not a secret for anybody, that nations are fully able to manipulate the value of their currency and every country does it.....but in this case Thailand is going to head for a doomsday if the Bhat continues to soar as such.  The real value of the Bhat is rather 1 US$ = at least 34 THB in the current global financial climate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Australian AUD took a hit today thanks to some Chinese ports banning our exports. Oz dollar could be heading towards the dreaded 19 baht rate before years out.

I wont be able to live here anymore and i won't be alone.

It seems that the year 2019 might be start of exodus of retirees with the strong baht and financial requirements of min 400k and  longer 800k period.

Watch video below

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Tourism, real estate sales, exports etc will strongly suffer with this artificially inflated Thai Bhat... it is not a secret for anybody, that nations are fully able to manipulate the value of their currency and every country does it.....but in this case Thailand is going to head for a doomsday if the Bhat continues to soar as such.  The real value of the Bhat is rather 1 US$ = at least 34 THB in the current global financial climate.

In practice that is not true. Tourism is still thriving.

The Chinese were the largest spenders in Thailand during their new year and they are the largest tourist group in Thailand. They just love importing Thai durians and anything Thai.

Edited by EricTh

Get rid of the military junta and the exchange rates will go back to more normal levels.  There are only some rich Thai-Chinese families that are responsible for this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Pure BS. As Soros is a favourite right-wing bogey man, I'll put you down as a right-wing conspiracy theorist.

Educate yourself by reading the link.

https://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/economic-letter/1998/august/what-caused-east-asia-financial-crisis/

No right-wing conspiracy theory at all.

George Soros and other currency hedge funds who attacked the Thai Baht causing it to collapse to generate profit is the lore of the global financial industry. There is no one who does not know this.

The Federal Reserve Bank report you quote only discusses broad weaknesses in the Asian economies that made them vulnerable to attacks by currency speculators like Soros. There is not a single word in your reference that vindicates Soros, et. al. It clearly mentions the role of speculative currency attacks. The only question was, should Asian economies have been more prepared for such onslaughts, like should a police officer have worn a bulletproof vest when shot.

Your reference.

... "during periods of uncertainty, runs or speculative attacks on a currency can be avoided only if the holders of domestic assets are assured that the government can meet the demand for foreign currency. Those East Asian economies where foreign exchange reserves were large relative to their short-term borrowing (Philippines, Malaysia, and Taiwan) were in a better position to provide such assurances than those economies where such reserves were relatively low (South Korea, Indonesia, and Thailand)."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ocddave said:

I did well in the end of 2016 when I moved here and needed money for cars/motorcycles/housing/etc, but taking a hammering now, I guess you have to accept the good with the bad sometimes.

Me too, its so bad I am sharing Leos in front of 7-11 with street guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1